Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

Going to get the stihl 632p.
    Thinking of putting the boundary wire in a 20 mm mdpe pipe above ground so I can move it about a bit as I level off a very rough area. Good or bad idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,347 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There is a smaller diameter pipe used by farmers for electric fencer wire. It's about 10mm might be tidier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Would the mower not push the conduit with it's wheels? I'd say give it a go but eye ball it the first few times it's butting up against it.

Cheers thanks. Will try small area first

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Yea, i wouldnt bother with the tubing. It will be just as easy to move the pegs holding down the cable. Once you are happy with the placement you can bury them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Yea, i wouldnt bother with the tubing. It will be just as easy to move the pegs holding down the cable. Once you are happy with the placement you can bury them.

This is the stuff I get at my agri supplier that I mention above;
    https://southwestagriculturesupplies.com/products/insultube-4mm-x-12m-round

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Lol. For a minute I thought they were in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Going to get the stihl 632p.
    Thinking of putting the boundary wire in a 20 mm mdpe pipe above ground so I can move it about a bit as I level off a very rough area. Good or bad idea?

Would that pipe be flexible enough to go around bends and still stay in place for you. If its your standard water type pipe I dont think it would.

You'd probably have to peg it down to keep it in place so you might as well just peg the cable in that case and save yourself the hassle of getting the cable into the pipe.

If you have any islands that you need to put in you will also be in trouble, I'd say.

All in all, sounds more hassle than its worth.

The 20mm pipe used to connect domestic water has a strong wall and is fairly inflexible. There is another 20mm with a lighter wall that is more flexible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Been looking around regarding prices, cant find anything in ireland even close to online prices, id rather buy at a local dealer if it was even close, but it's not... :(

Best deals i've found are below ( it includes a free trimmer, which appears to be quite a good one!)

Husqvarna 315X with free Husqvarna 115iL Trimmer (with battery and charger) €1839
    Husqvarna 430X with free Husqvarna 115iL Trimmer (with battery and charger) €2349
    Husqvarna 450X with free Husqvarna 115iL Trimmer (with battery and charger) €3189
    https://www.gartengeraete-onlineshop.de/fact-finder?query=Automower+inkl.+gratis+Akku-Trimmer+115iL+Set

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Just checked an Irish supplier I have got accessories off in the past, 450x is 4100 euro, shocked. Must be the 2019 model. Not that I think it has much more than 2018 version I have

Went with the stihl. Just used the guide wire and pegs. Very simple to get going. Driving the dog nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭denismc

Atkins of Cork have a sale this weekend, 10% of all Husqvarna products, might be of interest to someone.
    https://www.atkins.ie/garden-machinery/new-garden-machinery/robot-mowers.html?p=2

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

Moreilly wrote: »
    Been looking around regarding prices, cant find anything in ireland even close to online prices, id rather buy at a local dealer if it was even close, but it's not... :(

Best deals i've found are below ( it includes a free trimmer, which appears to be quite a good one!)

Husqvarna 315X with free Husqvarna 115iL Trimmer (with battery and charger) €1839
    Husqvarna 430X with free Husqvarna 115iL Trimmer (with battery and charger) €2349
    Husqvarna 450X with free Husqvarna 115iL Trimmer (with battery and charger) €3189
    https://www.gartengeraete-onlineshop.de/fact-finder?query=Automower+inkl.+gratis+Akku-Trimmer+115iL+Set

Good prices and I checked 50Euro to Ship to Ireland, Free Trimmer seems to be around 200Euro Value

xl500 wrote: »
    Good prices and I checked 50Euro to Ship to Ireland, Free Trimmer seems to be around 200Euro Value
    if it wasn't needed it could be stuck on adverts or done deal effectively reducing the price of the mower even further... ;)
    https://www.atkins.ie/husqvarna-115il-grass-trimmer-kit.html

I have a similar trimmer to that one. One bit of advice, get an extra battery if you do get it. The runtime isnt that long and waiting for it to recharge to finish the job is a PITA.

Other than that they are ideal and the battery is interchangeable with the rest of their garden tool range so you only have to buy the battery once and use it across all the tools.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Anyone had problems with the mower lifted alarm going off? Had it recently and got it "sorted" by the dealer - replaced a faulty lift sensor that has slight corrosion. However it started going off again today and I had to switch it off altogether. It wouldn't even sit motionless in the charging station without the alarm going off...back to the dealer I guess but not happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

430X down to 2,290.57 EUR on GPL for anyone interested

staples7 wrote: »
    430X down to 2,290.57 EUR on GPL for anyone interested
    Nice price , well spotted... :), Now to decide on this or 2349 with husky strimmer....

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    Anyone had problems with the mower lifted alarm going off? Had it recently and got it "sorted" by the dealer - replaced a faulty lift sensor that has slight corrosion. However it started going off again today and I had to switch it off altogether. It wouldn't even sit motionless in the charging station without the alarm going off...back to the dealer I guess but not happy!

Havent heard of that one. I have mine 5 years, no issue with sensors.

I wonder how it got corroded. Those sensors are under the hood.
    How old is it?

Nice price , well spotted... :), Now to decide on this or 2349 with husky strimmer....

And the extra battery! ;)
    They are not cheap!

Do you have much strimming to do?
    I dont know what the 115iL is like. I have the 136LiC and its a very capable strimmer. Easily as good/powerful as your typical petrol version but better in that you dont have the noise, vibration and fumes! The extra battery is important if you have any decent amount of strimming to do though.

KCross wrote: »
    Havent heard of that one. I have mine 5 years, no issue with sensors.

I wonder how it got corroded. Those sensors are under the hood.
    How old is it?

And the extra battery! ;)
    They are not cheap!

Do you have much strimming to do?
    I dont know what the 115iL is like. I have the 136LiC and its a very capable strimmer. Easily as good/powerful as your typical petrol version but better in that you dont have the noise, vibration and fumes! The extra battery is important if you have any decent amount of strimming to do though.

Have a fair bit to strim but it's not too bad,- currently have a petrol strimmer I got from Aldi, hate using it , mixing oil and petrol, it's heavy, using straps around the body ect..it's just hassle, only used it 2 or 3 times -going to stick it up on adverts !

Ye guys also have me thinking about the strimmers, Mine will most likely need replacing - I do about an hour strimming every 2 weeks. Maybe a bit more peak summer. I do find that the vibration weight & noise make it very uncomfortable (****ty strap doesn't help either).

Ill have to pop in somewhere to take a look at one. This is turning out to be a very expensive thread :)

Slight off topic has anyone bough the Husquvarna Automower house?

Between this forum and bargain alerts, boards.ie has both saved and cost me a fortune over the years..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

i have a de walt battery strimmer which does what i need it to perfectly - verges of lawn/beds, near trees. Get what suits your needs.
    if you already have batteries for something it may lead you to that branded strimmer. I store mine indoors so want to avoid petrol/oils as much as posisble. Strimmoing for 30 min is ok, longer is boring therefore electric is perfect for me and the batteries i have. A couple of spurious 5amp ones from Amazon has done the trick for my dewalt gear as well as dewalt branded 2 amp ones. i have not been caught short yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone notice the clock on the mower is off by an hour since the clocks changed? Tried digging for a time and date song but can't see it in the app or on the mower.

Ye guys also have me thinking about the strimmers, Mine will most likely need replacing - I do about an hour strimming every 2 weeks. Maybe a bit more peak summer. I do find that the vibration weight & noise make it very uncomfortable (****ty strap doesn't help either).

I'd be about the same... 1hr every 1-2 weeks.
    One battery wont cover that runtime on mine so you either need to split the job into two, as the battery takes a few hours to charge, or else have 2 batteries (thats what I did).

Roen wrote: »
    Anyone notice the clock on the mower is off by an hour since the clocks changed? Tried digging for a time and date song but can't see it in the app or on the mower.

Yea, mine doesnt auto adjust for DST. Maybe the newer ones do. Its not an issue really as its only an hour and the mower doesnt spend much time on the lawn during winter time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

Hi all, I'm really interested in picking up one of these, perhaps the 430x from one of the online sellers mentioned earlier.

From a search on boards I can see a few have bought from GPL, e.g. staples7 and Roen. Did you have any issues with the seller? Has anybody bought from the other seller mentioned - gartengeraete?

Redlim wrote: »
    Hi all, I'm really interested in picking up one of these, perhaps the 430x from one of the online sellers mentioned earlier.

From a search on boards I can see a few have bought from GPL, e.g. staples7 and Roen. Did you have any issues with the seller? Has anybody bought from the other seller mentioned - gartengeraete?

I bought from GPL, had a manufacturing issue from the off but nothing connected with GPL. Overall found them good. In fact they have offered a gesture of good will for my trouble.

(You might have seen too from the thread that a local dealer looked after the issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Redlim

I bought from GPL, had a manufacturing issue from the off but nothing connected with GPL. Overall found them good. In fact they have offered a gesture of good will for my trouble.

(You might have seen too from the thread that a local dealer looked after the issue)

Cheers for the quick reply. Yes, I spotted that your local dealer helped out with the motherboard issue which is a nice reassurance. Any issues with the self install of the boundary wiring and has it been overgrown by the grass growth yet? My local seller uses a machine to bury the wiring when installing it but the overall price difference is obviously significant!

Advertisement