Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

A quick follow up here, when ordering from GPL are there not import taxes to be paid? given it's from sweden ?

I assume there offering the the 2018 versions of the Huskys, as the newer 430's come with the automower connect as standard.

Might explain why my local deal asked us to pay over 5K for the same bundle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    A quick follow up here, when ordering from GPL are there not import taxes to be paid? given it's from sweden ?

I assume there offering the the 2018 versions of the Huskys, as the newer 430's come with the automower connect as standard.

Sweden is in the EU so no import duties.

There will be a slight price increase when the vat rate is adjusted for Ireland at checkout I.e. it will change from 19% to 23%.

Also, I checked the specification listed on their website and automower connect is listed as included. What is making you think it's not?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

Dr4gul4 wrote: »

I bought my 430X from GPL and it’s the very latest model. In fact it was manufactured in March this year. The dealer was able to see this date. Includes automower connect. I assume if GPL can sell and make a profit at that price that there is just a huge mark up for the dealers here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,904 ✭✭✭✭listermint

staples7 wrote: »
    I bought my 430X from GPL and it’s the very latest model. In fact it was manufactured in March this year. The dealer was able to see this date. Includes automower connect. I assume if GPL can sell and make a profit at that price that there is just a huge mark up for the dealers here.

Of course there's huge mark-up. These machines have been around since the 70s some with only slight change in tech .

They are actually incredibly basic all things considered. Batteries making up the most expensive parts inside them now

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

I'm looking to purchase a robot lawnmower for a 200m2 garden. Any reason not to go with a yardforce SA500ECO instead of the Flymo 1200R? The SA500ECO is €444 from amazon.de delivered to addresspal (and then looks like ~ €13.49 from uk to Ireland).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Rotary-Mowers/Yard-Force-SA500ECO-Robomower-Lithium-Ion/B07B6WHCYQ

Those Yardforce dont seem to get great reviews I got a Mc Cullogh Rob600 which is basically a rebadged Husqvarna on Amazon Warehouse deals for less than that and it was like brand new and it has been great no one problem so far

• Advertisement

Looks like im gonna pull the trigger so, For those using an external wall plug, did you look at an enclosure for the transformer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Yup, bought a cheap drybox from Amazon. Doing the trick

Shaunoc wrote: »
    Yup, bought a cheap drybox from Amazon. Doing the trick

Same, using a drybox (today might test it) where the extension lead meets the transformer and it’s plug. Keep in mind you’ll need an eu to uk adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I cut the euro plug off mine and wired in a three pin as advised by the electrician that wired in my shed. If you have a dry box though you could probably use an adapter.

I got the very last non automower connect enabled 430x from GPL by the way (I bought the connect as an add on module). So you're good to go from here on in.

Same, using a drybox (today might test it) where the extension lead meets the transformer and it’s plug. Keep in mind you’ll need an eu to uk adapter.

Medium size, by any chance ?

Roen wrote: »
    I cut the euro plug off mine and wired in a three pin as advised by the electrician that wired in my shed. If you have a dry box though you could probably use an adapter.

I got the very last non automower connect enabled 430x from GPL by the way (I bought the connect as an add on module). So you're good to go from here on in.

I think i'd snip off the two pins, and whip in a 3 pin plug, If fact i must have a better look at that external socket, i'm sure it's a good ten years old, and prob need a change to a more enclosed unit by now.

• Advertisement

seen good advice from someone earlier and I am following it, to use a surge protector adapter

• Registered Users Posts: 33,904 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Shaunoc wrote: »
    seen good advice from someone earlier and I am following it, to use a surge protector adapter

Buy a socket with it included in the socket.

See Amazon

listermint wrote:
    See Amazon

Yup, what I have.
    Growth should take off this week, have the new blades ready for action

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

The task of cutting grass in the summer is an excuse for many to enjoy the outdoors. For me, I would much rather spend my time lying back with a beer on the cut grass. As such, i would get frustrated with the time an effort required to mow a ~600m² with a regular push motor. I looked into purchasing a ride-on mower and then a robot lawnmower. Comparing the two, there are many more advantages to owning a robot mower, to the point where I dont understand why anyone these days would buy a ride-on lawn mower. It is more effort to set up your garden for a robot mower, but are practically maintenance free after than. Ride-ons require the seasonal maintenance that all small petrol engines require such as changing filters, oil, draining fuel, and so on. Robot lawnmowers require no input from yourself while they mow. Although ride-ons are faster to mow that push mowers, they still require your input to control them. The space taken up by a ride-on in a shed is considerable. Lastly, robot lawnmowers cost has fallen to the point where they are cheaper than ride-ons. Due to all these benefits, I looked into getting my garden robot mowed for the smallest cost possible.

477841.PNG

I looked to eBay and found a Flymo 1200r mower listed as broken. It was described as failing to power up. I took a gamble and bought it for ~120e with another ~25e for postage through Parcel Motel

477842.jpg

It came a week later along with its power supply and base, instructions and nothing else. I was missing the guide/boundary wire and wire clips and connectors, which was what I expected.

As a first step, I attempted to replicate the sellers issue. I put the mower on the base station, connected the charger, and powered it up. The display on the mower actually lit up and I could access all the menus after I entered in the sellers PIN number. However, when I took the mower off the base station, the power would die. This suggested that it was a battery issue.

477843.jpg

I flipped it over and using a hex screwdriver, I removed the access panel. Beneath it was a USB A connector, possibly for firmware upgrades, and a 5 Cell battery pack.

Interestingly, the battery was labelled Husqvarna, the parent company of Flymo. A bit of research online suggested that the Flymo 1200r is just a rebadged Husqvarna with less capable firmware. It would be interesting to see if anyone managed to put a 105 firmware on a cheaper Flymo 1200r.

477844.PNG

Pricing a replacement battery, I gave myself a shock (lol). It would cost me ~65e for a new unbranded one.

477845.PNG

As I was too cheap to pay for this, I began to look into repairing the one I had. I pealed the tape from the battery pack and measured the voltage across each cell. It should be ~3.7v for li-ion. Two of the cells measured ~0v. I figured I would replace all five cells to keep them balanced. I dismantled an old laptop battery and removed its similar "18650" sized cells. I soldered these in place of the faulty ones in the pack and put the pack back into the mower. The originals are the green cells ones below, the red are the laptop replacement ones. The circuit board is the original Battery Management System (BMS) that ensures that each cell charges and discharges at the same rate as each other.

IMG_20180816_221241.jpg

Unfortunately, the mower would still die when taken off the base station. Dismantling the battery pack again, I discovered that the BMS in the battery pack was not outputting any voltage, even though all the cells were now in working order and sending the pwer to the BMS. This is a safety mechanism of the BMS circuitry. When it detects a faulty cell, like our two found above, it will kill the connection from input and output and call it a day. Some BMS boards allow you to reset them by various methods. Rather than spend the time researching this and perhaps not find a method for my particular board, I bought a similar five cell one off eBay.

Capture3.PNG

I soldered this in, put the battery pack back together again, and stuck it into the mower. It worked!

Next, the blades needed a service so I removed them with a Philips screwdriver and sharpened them on a water stone used for sharpening chisels and knives.

IMG_20180827_203747.jpg

After this, I needed a boundary wire to go around the garden. Lets go back to Amazon and see what they have.

Capture5.PNG

Uggh..... 100e for 150m of cable? Yea, no thanks. I went onto eBay and found a fella selling 100m reels of 1.5mm diameter copper cable for 20e. This was for use in wiring in households, but I saw no reason why it would not work as well in the garden. Best of all it was earth cable so it was green to match the grass. I placed an order for 300m worth totalling 60e. When it arrived, I was surprised that two of the reels were blue in colour.

IMG_20180827_203140.jpg
    IMG_20180910_083825.jpg

The seller had accidentally mixed up my order and given me two neutral (blue) reels. Right, lets go ahead with this colour anyway- it will keep with the "ghetto" theme.

Part 1 of this post is on the previous page.

Part 2: I bought a cheap crimping tool and connectors in Aldi for around 7e. This allowed me to put two connectors on the end of the boundary wire to connect to the base station and another for the guide wire. The tool is similiar to the one below.

05156825_01c?$MOB_PREV$&$width=960&$height=960

I still needed to make a few electrical connections to connect the cables together. Flymo sell waterproof connector blocks, similar to below.

Capture6.PNG

So did we buy these? Of coarse not: too expensive. As I was in Aldi buying their crimping tool, I bought a roll of their "SOS repair tape" for 5e. This is bitumen tape, similar to the "Denso" tape that is used on outdoor electrical connections and indoor plumbing. I use a standard electrical block connector which I then taped tightly with the Aldi tape.

IMG_20180916_150228.jpg
    IMG_20180916_145546.jpg

The "T" connection of the guide wire to the boundary wire was made the same way.
    To peg the wire to the ground, I cut a few 8cm snips of fencing wire, bent them into a long "U" and pinned the cable to the ground with them. This allowed me "fine tune" the position of the wire later on to stop the mower getting stuck in some areas or not cutting others.

IMG_20180827_201049.jpg
    IMG_20180827_201051.jpg

Once I was happy with the positioning, I read that the cable should bury itself with grass growth after a few months, but I found that not to be the case in all areas. So I went to the trouble of burying it myself. I used a verge edging tool create a thin channel and then pushed the cable about 20mm under the soil with a small stick.

IMG_20190407_143235.jpg

There was a concrete footpath that I had to cross with the boundary cable and guide wire. I used a junior angle grinder with a diamond disk to cut a channel for the cable and then covered it over again with a small bit of mortar.
    IMG_20190324_123422.jpg

The Flymo 1200r is supposed to max out at 400m² ,but I found that you could set the working time to nearly 24 hours a day if you wanted to use it in a much larger area, like our 600m².

After all that work, the grass is looking great, and the only maintenance that I have to do is to move the mower if I see it stuck the odd time. It is still going strong for over a year. All for around 220e!

More information is on the blog here: https://warrantyvoidifremoved.blogspot.com/2019/04/cheapest-most-ghetto-way-to-robot-mow.html

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Some great advice on this thread, had been thinking of changing from my self propelled lawn mower to a ride on as it would take me over an hour to cut the lawn. Had researched here and thought about a robot and when I called to the local dealer to enquire about ride ons he was pushing me towards a robot. One thing his installation fee is 700 euro is that not very steep? would be 3k for robot including installation.

k mac wrote: »
    Some great advice on this thread, had been thinking of changing from my self propelled lawn mower to a ride on as it would take me over an hour to cut the lawn. Had researched here and thought about a robot and when I called to the local dealer to enquire about ride ons he was pushing me towards a robot. One thing his installation fee is 700 euro is that not very steep? would be 3k for robot including installation.

Depends on what he is doing for the installation. Have you a power socket outside that you can run the mower from? If not, it is a bit of a job to run a cable from your fuse board to outside and out in a socket. The rest of the installation is relatively straightforward and not much skill is needed.

400 euro install fee here , plus 50 cent a meter for the guide and return wires .. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Part 1 of this post is on the previous page.

More information is on the blog here: https://warrantyvoidifremoved.blogspot.com/2019/04/cheapest-most-ghetto-way-to-robot-mow.html

Great read, shows you don't need to spend thousands.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I looked to eBay and found a Flymo 1200r mower listed as broken. It was described as failing to power up. I took a gamble and bought it for ~120e with another ~25e for postage through Parcel Motel

Fair play. You got a good deal even if you did have to do some "work" to get it going.

It begs the question why the owner sold it. It was obvious enough it just needed a battery and €65 would hardly break the bank. Presumably they had to go and buy a whole new mower for the sake of €65! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

After this, I needed a boundary wire to go around the garden. Lets go back to Amazon and see what they have.

Uggh..... 100e for 150m of cable? Yea, no thanks. I went onto eBay and found a fella selling 100m reels of 1.5mm diameter copper cable for 20e. This was for use in wiring in households, but I saw no reason why it would not work as well in the garden. Best of all it was earth cable so it was green to match the grass. I placed an order for 300m worth totalling 60e. When it arrived, I was surprised that two of the reels were blue in colour.

Obviously this cable is working fine for you but I wonder will it stand the test of time? It looks like your bog standard earth wire. Will it survive in a damp environment year on year?

The Husqvarna wire is over priced but AFAIK it has a tougher/thicker plastic outer layer for this outdoor use case.

I suppose, worst case scenario you just re-lay it. Not a big deal.

KCross wrote: »
    Obviously this cable is working fine for you but I wonder will it stand the test of time? It looks like your bog standard earth wire. Will it survive in a damp environment year on year?

The Husqvarna wire is over priced but AFAIK it has a tougher/thicker plastic outer layer for this outdoor use case.

I suppose, worst case scenario you just re-lay it. Not a big deal.

I was wondering the same. I dont know. I would expect the "official" cable to be more weather resistant as I think it is HDPE insulation vs PVC for household cable. But even if it only has 25% of the lifespan of the "official" lawnmower guide wire, it would still be cheaper to use. I inspected it lately I dont see any visible signs of weathering yet anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Depends on what he is doing for the installation. Have you a power socket outside that you can run the mower from? If not, it is a bit of a job to run a cable from your fuse board to outside and out in a socket. The rest of the installation is relatively straightforward and not much skill is needed.

No I have to have power laid on for it, as it happens I have an outside socket but it might not suit in the long run may have to bring power from the garage, another extra cost I suppose. the installation should be straight forward 600 sq meters all in one piece very little flower beds, trees etc. I am a firm believer in getting someone to do a job that is doing that job every day so has the expertise but at that sort of money I think I would be tempted to install myself. Now I presume he is including whatever installation kit that is needed in the 700 euro and that the price quoted for the huskie does not include this kit. Does the boundary wire have to be underground, just thinking if I had to move it for any reason again such as extending lawns, putting in flower beds, trampolines, swings etc. it would be easier move if overground

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hi All. I'm considering a Flymo off Amazon... But my difficulty is that I have a 45m/sq rear garden... easy to manage as I have an outdoor socket... But I also have a patch of grass out the front... Is there a way to train the mower to go out the front when i open the gate? How do I manage the two spaces?

No I have to have power laid on for it, as it happens I have an outside socket but it might not suit in the long run may have to bring power from the garage, another extra cost I suppose. the installation should be straight forward 600 sq meters all in one piece very little flower beds, trees etc. I am a firm believer in getting someone to do a job that is doing that job every day so has the expertise but at that sort of money I think I would be tempted to install myself. Now I presume he is including whatever installation kit that is needed in the 700 euro and that the price quoted for the huskie does not include this kit. Does the boundary wire have to be underground, just thinking if I had to move it for any reason again such as extending lawns, putting in flower beds, trampolines, swings etc. it would be easier move if overground

Well, if you already have an outdoor socket, then the hardest work is already done. Judging by this, and the e400 quote given to Dr4gul4, I reckon your seller might be charging you too much.

Could you attempt to put down the boundary and guide cable yourself, and if you get into difficulty, to ask your seller to do it?

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Hi All. I'm considering a Flymo off Amazon... But my difficulty is that I have a 45m/sq rear garden... easy to manage as I have an outdoor socket... But I also have a patch of grass out the front... Is there a way to train the mower to go out the front when i open the gate? How do I manage the two spaces?

Is it possible for you to lay the boundary cable around both the front grass and the rear grass of the house? Can you run a guide cable from the charge station to the front of the house too?

If this is the case, then the mower will try to follow the guide wire from the charge station at back of the house to the front and start mowing. If it hits a closed gate on the way, it will just start mowing at that point and back before heading back to the charge station. If the gate is open, then it will go to the front of the garden and work its way back. You will just have to remember not to close the gate if your mower is at the front of the house or else the little fella will be trapped out front.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Is it possible for you to lay the boundary cable around both the front grass and the rear grass of the house? Can you run a guide cable from the charge station to the front of the house too?

If this is the case, then the mower will try to follow the guide wire from the charge station at back of the house to the front and start mowing. If it hits a closed gate on the way, it will just start mowing at that point and back before heading back to the charge station. If the gate is open, then it will go to the front of the garden and work its way back. You will just have to remember not to close the gate if your mower is at the front of the house or else the little fella will be trapped out front.

Thanks, great advice. Although it doesn't sound ideal, I'll start some proper research. Can the guide go below a paving slab? Front grass is not ideally located.

Thanks, great advice. Although it doesn't sound ideal, I'll start some proper research. Can the guide go below a paving slab? Front grass is not ideally located.

Yea, not ideal, but I think it will work, as long as you dont mind having to leave the side door open the odd time. Yes, the boundary wire should work under paving slabs. Husqvara recommend that it is buried under 3-10cm which should allow for the thickness of a paving slab. https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/lawn-garden/when-working/maintenance/robotic-lawn-mowers-faq/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭blackbox

Can you cut the bottom off the gate so that the mower can pass underneath?

• Advertisement

Does anybody have safety concerns RE: theft and or thought about building a modest garage to house their grass nipper yet :D I googled a bit, but found no real detail

Advertisement