Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

pedro7 wrote: »
    Hi Folks,
    I'm looking at a robot mower for my Ma shes in her 70s and is very particular about the lawn being cut, so she's paying a dude a fortune to come and do it every 2 weeks. Are these things pretty self sufficient once they're set up properly? I live in New Zealand so popping in if the thing goes A-wall inst really an option.
    From what I've read here it seems like the Husqvarna is the current pick of the bunch? I looked at them about 3 years ago, it looks like they haven't improved much since then. I thought GPS would've been standard by now.

Thanks!!

In my experience they are relatively bulletproof and work away 99% of the time without any need for intervention. For any problems you could ask the dealer will they come out.to look at it. If you get the connect module you will be able to keep an eye on it and be notified of any problems in NZ and make the call yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Quick question, i set up the geofence on the husky on the high setting, the circle on the app is about 1km in diameter, is this correct?, was hoping it would be a lot smaller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Moreilly wrote: »
    Quick question, i set up the geofence on the husky on the high setting, the circle on the app is about 1km in diameter, is this correct?, was hoping it would be a lot smaller

Same as mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

Anyone have experience of the wheel brush kit that Husquarvna supply? Does it work? Does it wear out quickly?

I was thinking of fitting a set to my 430X, I have mine coming out at 2100 until 1000 each night/morning, so the mower is usually cuttting wet grass from either the dew or rain. As a result it leaves strips of cut grass ramdomly around the lawn when the build up of grass on the wheels falls away.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/attachments/wheel-brush-kit/581903102/

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

So after a lot of research (mainly here thanks again!!) I finally purchased the 430X. Major gripe I am a big believer in supporting local but made a saving of over 800 euro (between mower and installation kit) by buying online so am thinking the local dealers must be having a colossal mark-up. Now sorry rant over just wait now for delivery and get it going:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

k mac wrote: »
    So after a lot of research (mainly here thanks again!!) I finally purchased the 430X. Major gripe I am a big believer in supporting local but made a saving of over 800 euro (between mower and installation kit) by buying online so am thinking the local dealers must be having a colossal mark-up. Now sorry rant over just wait now for delivery and get it going:D

Fair play, mark up is crazy alright. I was in my local dealer in cork and he asked me did I purchase (as I had been enquiring previously). I told him I got it online and didn’t seem to bother him. Obviously doing enough business.

Next purchase is a mower house and prob will be locally

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RangerRick

I recently got a 315x and my insurance provider won’t cover it. Has anybody successfully added an automower to their home insurance? If so what companies are you with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

RangerRick wrote: »
    I recently got a 315x and my insurance provider won’t cover it. Has anybody successfully added an automower to their home insurance? If so what companies are you with.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=109947905&postcount=1207

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

listermint wrote: »
    What size and make up is her lawn would be a better question.

Yes husqvarna are indeed the name at the moment. They are great mowers the higher end ones pack all sorts of features. Some nonessential like lights and GPS. But they come at the price of a second hand car.

My own lawn is around 1050 sq meteres. L shaped a bunch of island trees / bushes not completely flat it's undulating but no major slopes. Some sections have narrow entrances and so forth.

I purchased the McCullogh Rob1000 a few months ago. McCullogh are a subsidiary of husqvarna and the mower has husqvarna parts inside including its battery and the branded charging unit . I bought it for an absolute steal of £544.99 on an Amazon deal. It has a pin security system it is rated for 1000 sq meters of lawn. It doesn't have GPS or an app. But being honest it doesn't need it. The point of these is to setup and let them at it. They cut in random patterns and charge themselves then go again.

As my lawn is L shaped I have the guide wire ran from one side of it round to the other and the mower is programmed to launch off the guide wire around the corner for a percentage of the time to insure it cuts the larger area more regularly than the smaller area .

The cut is fantastic my lawn has improved in the short time I've had it. The only things I've had to do is pull a palm leaf out from the blades when it ran over and stopped the mower. And de-ice the wheels because seriously some may not believe me but the wheel threads iced up on some dew a few weeks back and ice formed. The mower got no traction and stopped on the spot and turned itself off. I'm sure it would have melted in the day time heat but I found it funny for Wicklow weather with no snow.

So my point.

I've had a superb experience with the mower , it cost me a fraction of the husqi retail price and frankly the outcome is probably the same.

Il stop now before I sound like a McCullough evangelist but I can't help recommending it based on value for money and my own experience.

And one other thing at the price point it's expensive for some but not worth bothering my house insurance about.

I agree. I am pretty confident that there is very little difference between the Husqvarna Automower 105, Gardena, McCulloch ROB and the Flymo 1200R bar the firmware and the plastic cosmetic shell.

automower-105.jpg

812OYn7odvL._SX425_.jpg

513aa0ab.png

1831225.jpg

All are owned by Husqvarna, and all have Husqvarna parts. Husqvarna even release their software updates for these mowers together http://editor-g3.gws.husqvarna.com/ddoc/HUSB/HUSB2018_AAen/HUSB2018_AAen__B1180047A-07.pdf

I would be very interested to see if anyone managed to get the firmware of the fancy pants Husqvarna working on one of the cheaper mowers.

I would be very interested to see if anyone managed to get the firmware of the fancy pants Husqvarna working on one of the cheaper mowers.

In addition to that I'd like to know has anyone managed to update the firmware without having to go to a dealer for it?

Its just a USB connector at the bottom of the mower but you obviously need access to the firmware itself and I believe an application that is used to push it to the mower..... I suspect only dealers have that capability?

Anyone managed a firmware upgrade on their own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

KCross wrote: »
    In addition to that I'd like to know has anyone managed to update the firmware without having to go to a dealer for it?

Its just a USB connector at the bottom of the mower but you obviously need access to the firmware itself and I believe an application that is used to push it to the mower..... I suspect only dealers have that capability?

software called autocheck 3 i believe
    watched some videos on it, would be great to have that accss

Shaunoc wrote: »

I did also see this, which suggests we will be able to do it ourselves at some point...
    https://www.reddit.com/r/automower/comments/bk1hdt/self_updates_are_coming_to_husqvarna_automowers/

Not sure if that will work via the connect app or USB cable or what. Customers should really have the option to update firmware ourselves if we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Agreed. I looked into some of the videos and documentation myself, and it appears that the software update tool, Autocheck 3, requires the user to login to unlock the mower firmware update capabilities for the Flymo, Gardena, Husqvarna and McCollouch mowers. These logins are given to dealers. I wonder if there was any way a Joe Soap could login and update their mowers.

Agreed. I looked into some of the videos and documentation myself, and it appears that the software update tool, Autocheck 3, requires the user to login to unlock the mower firmware update capabilities for the Flymo, Gardena, Husqvarna and McCollouch mowers. These logins are given to dealers. I wonder if there was any way a Joe Soap could login and update their mowers.

i'm sure there is a Husky / Dealer relationship being protected here.
    i doubt we will get that access anytime soon. i hope I am wrong. Anyone ask Husqvarna directly?

i doubt we will get that access anytime soon. i hope I am wrong. Anyone ask Husqvarna directly?

Exactly this. Husky are not going to p1ss off their dealers by cutting off a source of revenue for them. The business model includes selling mowers and the associated service business. They want customers coming back to them for upgrades, servicing, etc.

See my link above. That suggests we will be able to do firmware updates ourselves (I dont know how reliable that info is), which generally is free anyway at the dealer (thats my experience, not sure about others).

I'd imagine owners wouldnt get the full Autocheck 3 experience. Just the ability to upgrade firmware. Any faults etc would require a dealer visit.

The Autocheck 3 upgrade process is shown here from a dealer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

That's a big saving. Where did you get it and the installation kit online?

See my link above. That suggests we will be able to do firmware updates ourselves (I dont know how reliable that info is), which generally is free anyway at the dealer (thats my experience, not sure about others).

I'd imagine owners wouldnt get the full Autocheck 3 experience. Just the ability to upgrade firmware. Any faults etc would require a dealer visit.

i emailed the customer support team to see if any official line

polaris68 wrote: »
    That's a big saving. Where did you get it and the installation kit online?

GPL , a Swedish site that has been referenced here regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Moreilly wrote: »

Hi, where are the Geofence settings ?

All I can see is the option to enable on the Map page settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Alfie1 wrote: »
    Hi, where are the Geofence settings ?

All I can see is the option to enable on the Map page settings.

It's on the mower only. Not chargeable via app.

Some of my lawn was sown new last October and a few bare patches that are in it I just put some lawn seed on it last week. Now I was hoping to put the automower into action at the weekend but am wondering should I leave it a few weeks in order for the new seed in the bare patches to grow a bit??

Some of my lawn was sown new last October and a few bare patches that are in it I just put some lawn seed on it last week. Now I was hoping to put the automower into action at the weekend but am wondering should I leave it a few weeks in order for the new seed in the bare patches to grow a bit??

Can you block or temporarily fence off the patches? You don't want the mower going over germinating grass seed, but you do want the rest of your lawn cut presumably...

Update from Husqvarna customer support:

The only mower planned to have FOTA updates currently is the new AWD 435X/535X automower.

Autocheck 3 is a dealer only tool. And is the only way to update the software, so as an end use you will not be able to do that.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Can you block or temporarily fence off the patches? You don't want the mower going over germinating grass seed, but you do want the rest of your lawn cut presumably...

I do want the rest of the lawn cut but I can trudge away with the old self propelled for another few weeks !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭denismc

I reseeded at the start of April and I allowed the automower in after a week.
    The mower is very light and won't effect the the grass but if the soil isn't firm then the mower turning may do a little digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

Frankirish wrote: »
    Anyone have experience of the wheel brush kit that Husquarvna supply? Does it work? Does it wear out quickly?

I was thinking of fitting a set to my 430X, I have mine coming out at 2100 until 1000 each night/morning, so the mower is usually cuttting wet grass from either the dew or rain. As a result it leaves strips of cut grass ramdomly around the lawn when the build up of grass on the wheels falls away.

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/attachments/wheel-brush-kit/581903102/

I put these on my 420 last year and they are a bit of a pain to install right - from my experience they offered nothing of an improvement.

I got them as part of the Terrain kit

https://www.husqvarna.com/ie/parts-accessories/attachments/terrain-kit/587235301/

The wheels made a huge difference - I have some small areas of lawn that are sloped and in wet conditions it was sliding a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭KerryGoat

Does anyone have any recomendations for a auto lawnmower - recently moved into a new place with a small garden and am thinking of getting one rather than a "standard" mower.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,027 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

KerryGoat wrote: »
    Does anyone have any recomendations for a auto lawnmower - recently moved into a new place with a small garden and am thinking of getting one rather than a "standard" mower.

flymo1200r for a small garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

KerryGoat wrote: »

I got a McCullogh Rob600 at a good price on Amazon my Garden is approx 500sq mts it has been great so far no issues at all

I think its actually a clone of the Huskie as is the Flymo

Advertisement