Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Zzippy wrote: »
    Update: The dealer had to replace the circuit board in the base station, which had malfunctioned. There was also corrosion on the terminal which may have played a part. Picking it up again this week, just as well as the garden hasn't been cut for 2 weeks and it's like a jungle!

It sounds like it might have got a spike of power since you mentioned the alarm going off for no reason too?

What kind of surge protector are you using? Is it still working properly?
    They usually have a light on them to say they are still functioning as a surge protector as they dont last forever and when the surge element of them wears out they revert to just being a normal socket.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

KCross wrote: »
    It sounds like it might have got a spike of power since you mentioned the alarm going off for no reason too?

What kind of surge protector are you using? Is it still working properly?
    They usually have a light on them to say they are still functioning as a surge protector as they dont last forever and when the surge element of them wears out they revert to just being a normal socket.

Thanks, I'll check and probably replace/upgrade. It's in a weatherproof box, didn't think to check it.

Edit: This is the one I bought for it.

Zzippy wrote: »
    Thanks, I'll check and probably replace/upgrade. It's in a weatherproof box, didn't think to check it.

Edit: This is the one I bought for it.

Yea, that looks like the right type of thing. It has a light on it that isnt about telling you that its on... the light is to signify whether its still acting in surge protection mode.... check the manual that came with it as to what colour the light should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Registered Users Posts: 45 muckyba

My automower is failing to cut the grass around the charging station , is this expected behaviour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

muckyba wrote: »
    My automower is failing to cut the grass around the charging station , is this expected behaviour?

Husky ? There's a specific setting you can enable to prevent him from driving in to the charge station that results in this behavior

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

muckyba wrote: »
    Go to the app open settings, then accessories then make sure mower house Is not turned on ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

For anyone needing a couple hundred guide wire plastic fixing pegs I have two bags of them going.
    Pick up only in Wexford town. Absolutely zero interest in traveling or posting to give away something for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ccmp

Roen wrote: »
    For anyone needing a couple hundred guide wire plastic fixing pegs I have two bags of them going.
    Pick up only in Wexford town. Absolutely zero interest in traveling or posting to give away something for free.

Thank you for that offer. I will take you up on it if it suits you. Understand re pickup. I'll sort that without any hassle. My brother works in wexford every couple of weeks. I'll pm you for details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Cheers. Got the PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

don't forget to keep a few - you never know.
    decent of you all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭k mac

Have stopped getting notifications on my phone for my 430x. Anyone else have a similar issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

k mac wrote: »
    Have stopped getting notifications on my phone for my 430x. Anyone else have a similar issue?

Nope I got one this morning. Try restarting the automower?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WhichWay

k mac wrote: »

Happened me.
    Seller had to update software.
    First try turn off power switch for a minute.
    Then try uninstall app from phone and reinstall.
    You'll need a code generated in the automower settings to connect again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,121 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Hey guys. I am looking to get one of these.
    I’ve got a reasonable sized patch from front, sides and back and they all join up. It’s about 300 metres all around the perimeter.

Any recommendations on what I should go for would be welcome. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Perimeter doesn't tell us the size, but sounds larger than 1,000 sq m. Measure it and check manufacturers models and recommended size. Go one size up from that is a general rule of thumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭NurseBridie

I've the small automower 105 going into its 4th year. I thought the battery may have been fading but I checked timings and all ok. However in the last two weeks it is just stopping in the middle of lawn and when I check, no power whatsoever. Put it back in charger and all ok again. Is it just a new battery it needs so something else? Starting to do this two or three times a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭denismc

Hey guys. I am looking to get one of these.
    I’ve got a reasonable sized patch from front, sides and back and they all join up. It’s about 300 metres all around the perimeter.

Any recommendations on what I should go for would be welcome. Cheers.

You can use google maps to measure the exact area of your garden, that will give you an idea of what you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 maxwellhouse

Folks looking at Worx Landroid M WR143E 1000m² or a Robomow RC308u Automatic Robotic Lawnmower 800+m²

But I'm hoping they could tackle this raised kerb?

• Advertisement

Folks looking at Worx Landroid M WR143E 1000m² or a Robomow RC308u Automatic Robotic Lawnmower 800+m²

But I'm hoping they could tackle this raised kerb?

Very unlikely they can handle a step like that. You'd need to create a slope for it.... a bit of concrete in the appropriate place maybe?

Why do you need it to drive up the kerb?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 maxwellhouse

KCross wrote: »
    Very unlikely they can handle a step like that. You'd need to create a slope for it.... a bit of concrete in the appropriate place maybe?

Why do you need it to drive up the kerb?

Sorry what I mean is will either of the mowers I have picked above be able to follow a tight cut around that circular kerbing without falling off the lawn. i.e. i'm looking not to have to strim the edge if possible.

Sorry what I mean is will either of the mowers I have picked above be able to follow a tight cut around that circular kerbing without falling off the lawn. i.e. i'm looking not to have to strim the edge if possible.

They wont cut up right tight to it. They will leave an edge that you need to strim (or burn off).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

The problem is, the front wheels could fall off the slope, this would mean mower stuck all the time, and possibly damage to the blades

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭staples7

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    The problem is, the front wheels could fall off the slope, this would mean mower stuck all the time, and possibly damage to the blades

If you position the boundary wire correctly and have the correct set up on the APP settings for the amount of CM that the automower can go past the wire the it will not fall off. However KCross is correct you will certainly need to strim the edge.

You can get good battery strimmers nowadays. might be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

staples7 wrote: »
    If you position the boundary wire correctly and have the correct set up on the APP settings for the amount of CM that the automower can go past the wire the it will not fall off. However KCross is correct you will certainly need to strim the edge.

You can get good battery strimmers nowadays. might be an option?

Yes, but I mean if he wants to go right up to the border without striming what will happen

Quick google of the RC308u, it has an edge mode which looks like it will cut tight to the verge. I dont know how successful that is but it looks like the wheels are aligned with the blade eventhough the blade is a good 20cm inside the edge of the body of the mower.

See here (from 32secs)

So, it looks like it would cut tight along a kerb at the same level as the mower but wouldnt manage it if it was along a fence or wall as the body of the mower would hit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭caddy16

At the garden design stage and will probably go with 430x. 2 questions if I go with granite setts as a border and the boundary wire is placed along the edge will it cut right up to the edge?

Also as I need to cross driveway should I bury pipe now for guide wires? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think for a kerb the soil needs to be very slightly proud of the top of the kerb for a robot to do a kerb edge cut. Prospective installer pointed that out to me. He was talking about a Sthil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

caddy16 wrote: »
    At the garden design stage and will probably go with 430x. 2 questions if I go with granite setts as a border and the boundary wire is placed along the edge will it cut right up to the edge?

Also as I need to cross driveway should I bury pipe now for guide wires? Thanks in advance.

1. If you run to close to the kefb you risk wheel falling off the edge and mower being stuck until you can move it. Potentially you could leave for work at 08.00, gets stuck at 08.10 and you dont get home until 18.00 and day cutting wasted. I have the 430x and have it set up to cut within 9-12 inches of the kefb, then I run round the edges of the lawn with wee walk behind mower every 7 to 10 days, takes about 10 minutes. Also no damage to mower or blades from numerous falls off kerbs

2. If you have no drive way down then you could lay pipe to house the guide wire. You will need to lay 3 pipes, one for guide wire and one either side for boundry wires, dont go too deep either as mower needs to pick the wires up. I would be also tempted to put the cable in the piping and tie it off the ends, ready to be joined at installation. Alternativly if drive already down just cut tracks with consaw and lay your wires then cover with appropriate silicone.
    Remember to turn about 2 kerbs on their sides where mower will be accessing and leaving the lawn to the driveway so they can manouver easily across.

Advertisement