Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

glog wrote: »
    For an initial price differential of €800, in my opinion, that's a risk worth taking.

Do you know your local dealer? Might be worth dropping in and getting to know him. Buy a few replacement blades etc - yes they're cheaper online but if we all shop online there won't be any bricks and mortar local dealers left.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 thebandit2020

Wondering why do you think they would refuse to fix it?
    If they are official Husqvarna agents then are they not obliged to?
    Are you speaking from experience?

I would have thought they will get paid for the warranty job by Husqvarna regardless where it was bought.

Refuse is probably a bit strong, but a dealer will definitely look after their own customers first

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Hi all,

Hope someone can be of help. Put my 450x out today and it ran fine for a few hours, it now keeps getting an error 'cutting system blocked'. The grass isn't too long and I've checked underneath and it's clean. I've powered it off, replaced the blades, set the height to max. It goes forward about 2m after starting it, stops, reverses around the place and eventually errors and stops.

Anyone come across this problem before?

Or is it time to ring the dealer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Ketron wrote: »
    Hi all,

Hope someone can be of help. Put my 450x out today and it ran fine for a few hours, it now keeps getting an error 'cutting system blocked'. The grass isn't too long and I've checked underneath and it's clean. I've powered it off, replaced the blades, set the height to max. It goes forward about 2m after starting it, stops, reverses around the place and eventually errors and stops.

You could also ask the folks here: https://www.roboter-forum.com/index.php?board/97-3-generation-4-rad/

I've got a lot of help from them with my robomow so I assume that the Husqvarna forum is also good

It's all in German but if you use the google chrome browser it will auto translate it for you.

I ask my questions in German by typing them in English and pasting the translation from Google Translate for my posts/replies

deadl0ck wrote: »
    You could also ask the folks here: https://www.roboter-forum.com/index.php?board/97-3-generation-4-rad/

I've got a lot of help from them with my robomow so I assume that the Husqvarna forum is also good

It's all in German but if you use the google chrome browser it will auto translate it for you.

I ask my questions in German by typing them in English and pasting the translation from Google Translate for my posts/replies

Thanks, I'll give it a go! It's weird, less than 100 hours of operation on the thing, this summer will be its first season.

• Advertisement

Ketron wrote: »
    Hi all,

I powered it back up this morning to give it another go, been working fine the last hour. Its an odd one, don't really like issues that fix themselves with no intervention. I'm guessing the mower completely shuts down after a few hours powered off.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭glog

A question for all the Husky gurus.
    I've just set everything up, so far so good.
    I have an outlying area of lawn across the drive. I have already tested the Guide wire from there and all appears to be fine, it found it's way home.

The mower has just finished its first cutting session. It appears to have gone to all corners except the aforementioned outlying area.
    I have GPS Assisted Navigation enabled.

Do I need to tell it about this outlying area or will it find it with the guide wire?
    From reading the manual, I understand you can select Areas in manual mode but for the 430X I didn't think this would be necessary.
    Any advice appreciated.
    gLog.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

A question for all the Husky gurus.
    I've just set everything up, so far so good.
    I have an outlying area of lawn across the drive. I have already tested the Guide wire from there and all appears to be fine, it found it's way home.

The mower has just finished its first cutting session. It appears to have gone to all corners except the aforementioned outlying area.
    I have GPS Assisted Navigation enabled.

Do I need to tell it about this outlying area or will it find it with the guide wire?
    From reading the manual, I understand you can select Areas in manual mode but for the 430X I didn't think this would be necessary.
    Any advice appreciated.
    gLog.

I have similar. I tried a few times to see if the assisted gps would figure it out but it never did even leaving it for about 5 days. I put it down to the entrance to my path across the driveway being too narrow...it’s only barely wide enough for the mower. I have it set by percentages on the guide wires and works fine.

spose wrote: »
    I have similar. I tried a few times to see if the assisted gps would figure it out but it never did even leaving it for about 5 days. I put it down to the entrance to my path across the driveway being too narrow...it’s only barely wide enough for the mower. I have it set by percentages on the guide wires and works fine.

What I noticed is that on the first cutting session it didn't appear to use the guide wires at all.
    2nd cutting session it went straight to where guide wire No. 1 intersects boundary and started cutting.
    3rd cutting session it went straight to where guide wire no. 2 intersects the boundary and started cutting.
    Guide wire no. 2 is the aforementioned outlying, separate lawn area so happy days for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭jones

Folks,

My ride on mower has given up the ghost and I've always wanted to try an automated lawnmower. My garden is approximately 2000m2 so looking at the HUSQVARNA AUTOMOWER® 430X or something similar. Anything I need to know about? Servicing etc or should I go down the ride on lawnmower route again.

Any info appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

jones wrote: »
    Folks,

My ride on mower has given up the ghost and I've always wanted to try an automated lawnmower. My garden is approximately 2000m2 so looking at the HUSQVARNA AUTOMOWER® 430X or something similar. Anything I need to know about? Servicing etc or should I go down the ride on lawnmower route again.

Any info appreciated.

It’s all down to whether your lawn is suitable.

Is it all connected? No steps or stones between lawns etc.

Any long narrow sections or hard to reach areas.

And you need to be able to get the power cable to the docking station which has to be on the lawn somewhere.

The 430x will have no issue with the size lawn you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

FECK !, automower went around once no problems, charged went out again and two in later then stopped ' ERROR CUTTING SYSTEM BLOCKED ' , everything looks fine there is nothing blocked and disc with the blades is moving freely plus grass is not long.... any advice ? :(:confused:

Moreilly wrote: »

There’s cheaper ones than that on there. I paid about a tenner for a 30 pack and they work fine. Hard to say if they wear out faster than more expensive ones but for €1 a set who cares if you use a few extra sets a year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭slegs

Looking for some advice

I have installed my McCulloch ROB R1000, laid boundary and guide wires. The light is green on the base unit which says there is a loop and guide wire is active.

I am having issues though. My garden is quite big (about 1000 m2) and I laid the boundary wire on an inside loop around the kerbing as I wanted to see if I could get away without a full loop around the outside and inside. Essentially the full outside boundary is the fence and the ROB turns around when it hits that - the inside boundary loop cable works properly. I am not sure if this is OK or the fact the ROB is basically operating outside the boundary all the time and not inside it will cause me issues (anyone know this)

The main problem I have is that when I go to test the guide wire the ROB leaves the station and goes about two meters and then gives up - it doesn't go all the way out to the end like its supposed to in the test. I checked the wire and the connections and ll seem ok

Anyone experience this and know what it might be?

slegs wrote: »
    Looking for some advice

I have installed my McCulloch ROB R1000, laid boundary and guide wires. The light is green on the base unit which says there is a loop and guide wire is active.

I am having issues though. My garden is quite big (about 1000 m2) and I laid the boundary wire on an inside loop around the kerbing as I wanted to see if I could get away without a full loop around the outside and inside. Essentially the full outside boundary is the fence and the ROB turns around when it hits that - the inside boundary loop cable works properly. I am not sure if this is OK or the fact the ROB is basically operating outside the boundary all the time and not inside it will cause me issues (anyone know this)

The main problem I have is that when I go to test the guide wire the ROB leaves the station and goes about two meters and then gives up - it doesn't go all the way out to the end like its supposed to in the test. I checked the wire and the connections and ll seem ok

Anyone experience this and know what it might be?

Maybe it’s me but I don’t understand what you mean by inside and outside loops.

There is just one boundary loop and the mower can’t cross it. End of.

Could you post a drawing of what you’ve done. Might be easier to understand then.

KCross wrote: »
    Maybe it’s me but I don’t understand what you mean by inside and outside loops.

There is just one boundary loop and the mower can’t cross it. End of.

Could you post a drawing of what you’ve done. Might be easier to understand then.

Thanks for the response. See my drawing attached and it might explain better. Red line is the boundary wire and green line is guide wire.

The Rob operates fine and recognises the boundary. My problem is it doesnt do the test on the guide wire (gives up almost immediately and moves off it. Only other thing I can think of is that I bought extra cable on amazon thats being used in the guide wire that may not be compatible. It said it was Husqvarna compatible but it might be the issue. The light is green on the base station to say all boundary loop and guide wire are active.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Tails142

Probably to do with the way you're using the boundary wire, it doesn't give that sort of set up as an option in the manual

Tails142 wrote: »
    Probably to do with the way you're using the boundary wire, it doesn't give that sort of set up as an option in the manual

Yes I think you right From a bit more testing the unit needs the boundary to left or right of the guide wire to work properly. Will just get more cable and do the full boundary properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Alfie1

Moreilly wrote: »
    FECK !, automower went around once no problems, charged went out again and two in later then stopped ' ERROR CUTTING SYSTEM BLOCKED ' , everything looks fine there is nothing blocked and disc with the blades is moving freely plus grass is not long.... any advice ? :(:confused:

That happened here a few days ago for no reason that I could see. Turning it on & off didn't fix it. I took it back the the charging station & when I tried it again later after it had reached full charge it worked ! Did yours sort itself out ?

• Advertisement

slegs wrote: »
    Thanks for the response. See my drawing attached and it might explain better. Red line is the boundary wire and green line is guide wire.

The Rob operates fine and recognises the boundary. My problem is it doesnt do the test on the guide wire (gives up almost immediately and moves off it. Only other thing I can think of is that I bought extra cable on amazon thats being used in the guide wire that may not be compatible. It said it was Husqvarna compatible but it might be the issue. The light is green on the base station to say all boundary loop and guide wire are active.

Trying to make sense of what you’ve done!!

So, is the lawn inside or outside the red line? Looks like it’s outside?

If yes, then you’ve the boundary wired wrong. The boundary has to be the actual external lawn boundary. It looks like you have it as an internal boundary. That won’t work.

The guide wire has to ALL be inside that boundary wire.

You’ve a lot more boundary work to do I think.

KCross wrote: »
    Trying to make sense of what you’ve done!!

So, is the lawn inside or outside the red line? Looks like it’s outside?

If yes, then you’ve the boundary wired wrong. The boundary has to be the actual external lawn boundary. It looks like you have it as an internal boundary. That won’t work.

The guide wire has to ALL be inside that boundary wire.

You’ve a lot more boundary work to do I think.

Yes lawn is outside the boundary at the moment.Thought it might work but it doesn't - am short about 150m of cable so have ordered more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Hi folks,
    I'm going to bite the bullet today and buy a Husq 315X.

I have two queries:
    1: How do the X models connect? Does the base station need to be within wifi range?
    2: Hoping to buy from myrobotcenter.eu - has anyone here used them recently?

Lurching wrote: »
    Hi folks,
    I'm going to bite the bullet today and buy a Husq 315X.

I have two queries:
    1: How do the X models connect? Does the base station need to be within wifi range?
    2: Hoping to buy from myrobotcenter.eu - has anyone here used them recently?

I haven't used myrobotcenter.eu but i did buy from here last month.
    https://www.roboexpert.de/maehroboter/Husqvarna-Automower-315X.html

I couldn't fault them with their communication, answers and delivery.
    You have to pay by bank transfer ( i did it online). I initiated it lunch time and it was dispatched the next morning.

That model appears to be a couple of hundred cheaper from there.

I haven't used myrobotcenter.eu but i did buy from here last month.
    https://www.roboexpert.de/maehroboter/Husqvarna-Automower-315X.html

I couldn't fault them with their communication, answers and delivery.
    You have to pay by bank transfer ( i did it online). I initiated it lunch time and it was dispatched the next morning.

That model appears to be a couple of hundred cheaper from there.

Great info, thank you.
    And that is noticeably cheaper. It actually brings the 430x in to my budget.

Great info, thank you.
    And that is noticeably cheaper. It actually brings the 430x in to my budget.

I actually bought the 430X. Along with the Large Install kit and shipping it was €2500 in total.

I actually bought the 430X. Along with the Large Install kit and shipping it was €2500 in total.

Logically, the 430x might be too big. Lawn is around 500m2.

It is at quite a slope, has a number of trees, one or two complicated bits and a lot of moss, so now I'm not sure!

It is at quite a slope, has a number of trees, one or two complicated bits and a lot of moss, so now I'm not sure!

For 500m2 the 315x should be plenty big enough. You don’t need WiFi coverage in the garden for them either.
    I’ve bought off myrobotcentre a few times and found them good.

For 500m2 the 315x should be plenty big enough. You don’t need WiFi coverage in the garden for them either.

• Advertisement

Advertisement