Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Will a robot cross a path such as the one in the attached photo?

Yes, as long as there is no step between the grass and the stone it will drive across that no problem.... if there is a step/lip there it might bounce off it and go the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

KCross wrote: »
    Yes, as long as there is no step between the grass and the stone it will drive across that no problem.... if there is a step/lip there it might bounce off it and go the other way.

Cheers KCross - and you'd run the wires across the path? Or try to bury them between the gaps in the stones?

Cheers KCross - and you'd run the wires across the path? Or try to bury them between the gaps in the stones?

I'd just put it between the gaps and cover it with sand to keep it down.

Is this path just dividing a lawn or do you just need to put a guide wire across it to get to a remote part of the lawn?

If it is just a feature in the middle of a larger lawn you could just let it go over and back on that path as it sees fit and let it treat it as a piece of the lawn and no wire across it required... assuming the grass and path are at the same level.

Its hard to tell without seeing your overall layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭BenAndJerry

I'd just put it between the gaps and cover it with sand to keep it down.

Is this path just dividing a lawn or do you just need to put a guide wire across it to get to a remote part of the lawn?

If it is just a feature in the middle of a larger lawn you could just let it go over and back on that path as it sees fit and let it treat it as a piece of the lawn and no wire across it required... assuming the grass and path are at the same level.

Its hard to tell without seeing your overall layout.

Thanks - I've uploaded an expert diagram of my garden :)

The green part is the grass, the grey is the path and the brown is bedding. The photo in my last post was the path between the two sections of grass.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks - I've uploaded an expert diagram of my garden :)

The green part is the grass, the grey is the path and the brown is bedding. The photo in my last post was the path between the two sections of grass.

Any further advice would be much appreciated.

ok, i'd treat it as part of the lawn and run the boundary wire across it... again, assuming that the lawn and stone are on the same level.

You might need a guide wire to get to that "remote" lawn so you might need a 3rd wire across the middle of it.... depends on how wide that section is between the two lawns... if its narrow it makes it less likely that the mower would get there by itself enough times... so you use the guide wire then to "force" it in there more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭theduffer

Hi Folks,

I am looking at getting the Worx Landroid L2000 (WR155E). I have a garden size of 1300 sq m, am i going to big with this model?

Also I am having a bit of trouble convincing my wife that these robotic mowers are the future, could someone PM me if possible to view their Worx Landroid. Im based in Mayo but would be willing to travel to view one in action!

This Thread is an amazing source of info, thanks to all contributors..

Regards
    theduffer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

I've searched through this thread, but can't see much detail.

Is anyone running the mower on a far bigger garden than the mower is designed for? Our landscaper told us that this is quite common and just means that the mower may be out 8 hours a day instead of 4.

Presumably it would mean that the unit/battery wears out quicker, but will it actually manage to keep a bigger lawn trimmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Darbre18

tedimc wrote: »
    I've searched through this thread, but can't see much detail.

Is anyone running the mower on a far bigger garden than the mower is designed for? Our landscaper told us that this is quite common and just means that the mower may be out 8 hours a day instead of 4.

Presumably it would mean that the unit/battery wears out quicker, but will it actually manage to keep a bigger lawn trimmed?

All the research I looked at before I purchased suggested to over spec the mower rather than under spec. A mower which is under specified with have to work at its limits 100% of the time, thus contributing to excessive wear and tear. I have 2600m2 and my mower is specified to 3200m2.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭jod1983

Has anyone had battery issues with there automower 315 (2017) model? Mine stopped in the middle of the lawn yesterday with the screen dead. Nothing worked till i out it on charge.
    Happened again today just next to the base station, screen was on this time but no alarm.
    Happened again about half hour ago but screen was dead again.

Any ideas?

jod1983 wrote: »
    Has anyone had battery issues with there automower 315 (2017) model? Mine stopped in the middle of the lawn yesterday with the screen dead. Nothing worked till i out it on charge.
    Happened again today just next to the base station, screen was on this time but no alarm.
    Happened again about half hour ago but screen was dead again.

Any ideas?

The battery will eventually give up.
    How old is it?

• Advertisement

The battery will eventually give up.
    How old is it?

Hi, have it since May 2017, app is say 3968 cycles.

Did you try the old trick.... reboot it!?

Could be a bad connection on the battery, could be a bad battery, could be something else. Needs a trip to the dealer if the reboot doesnt help.

Did you try the old trick.... reboot it!?

Could be a bad connection on the battery, could be a bad battery, could be something else. Needs a trip to the dealer if the reboot doesnt help.

Going to ring in the morning, thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

So the worx is misbehaving on the slope.

The frustrating thing is it will say "Wheel motor error" but when I reset it will just take off again.

One other thing I've to redo is the boundary wire. I had the boundary wire to close to the edge of the kerb even though the grass goes over it. If there is a drop you should have the boundary the 26cm away.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Darbre18 wrote: »
    All the research I looked at before I purchased suggested to over spec the mower rather than under spec. A mower which is under specified with have to work at its limits 100% of the time, thus contributing to excessive wear and tear. I have 2600m2 and my mower is specified to 3200m2.

Thanks Darbre18 - do you mind me asking for how long does your mower run for on average?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Bedouin79

Hi, great thread spent most of the weekend reviewing it. Looking at getting a robot mower have new lawn just gone down this week so it will be a while yet for cutting. Just under 4000sqmtr all no shrubs or trees yet so a blank canvas. I have been told the husqvarna 450x is my best option although at the weekend i saw a local dealer with Wiper mowers anyone any experience of these?? As they seem to be cheaper than husqvarna. Any info tips recommendations experience appreciated lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Hi, great thread spent most of the weekend reviewing it. Looking at getting a robot mower have new lawn just gone down this week so it will be a while yet for cutting. Just under 4000sqmtr all no shrubs or trees yet so a blank canvas. I have been told the husqvarna 450x is my best option although at the weekend i saw a local dealer with Wiper mowers anyone any experience of these?? As they seem to be cheaper than husqvarna. Any info tips recommendations experience appreciated lads.

Wiper eh, I believe that these are also, or were, Ambrogio mowers. I'm unsure of when they started calling them Wiper as I recently bought the Ambrogio L350i Elite. I'm about to install this over the next 2-3 weeks (installing it on 6,5000 m2). There are others here with Ambrogio mowers and the feedback I've hear was all positive. If you're not in a rush, I'll let you know how my installation goes but you probably won't hear back on that for a number of weeks.

McCulloch Rob S600 has no rain sensor.
    Is this a big deal ?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Never switch mine on its cousin the husqvarna
    Want to be very very wet to bring it home

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

McCulloch Rob S600 has no rain sensor.
    Is this a big deal ?
    thanks

I have a Rob 600 and it has no rain sensor its no problem so far it's in its second season cuts rain or shine I am just back from a staycation and the pleasure of walking in and seeing grass perfectly mowed is brilliant one of the best garden tools I have bought and if it failed tomorrow I would immediately get another

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 ElectronicFur

Does anyone know what the typical number of battery cycles is for the Automower, before the battery goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭joebre

My lawn consists of rear garden and 2 side gardens.
    Have the 315X wired as one complete circuit.
    Mower bounces off the side gates at the moment when out either the back or side.
    I carry the mower to the side gardens and cut them as Secondary areas.
    I now realise that the 315X has just a terminal for one guide wire.
    Has anybody ever put a switch on the guide wire, allowing one to switch from one side garden to the other.
    The GPS has mapped the two side gardens separately.
    Hope this explains.

Does anyone know what the typical number of battery cycles is for the Automower, before the battery goes?
    Ill let you know soon. Mine is at the dealers since saturday and hes not sure yet if the battery is at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

do ye plan on bringing yer robots inside for the winter lads?

Have the ambrogio 350i and 6000sqm of lawn. Its just in a few weeks and going well.

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    do ye plan on bringing yer robots inside for the winter lads?

Have the ambrogio 350i and 6000sqm of lawn. Its just in a few weeks and going well.

Frogeye

Hi Frogeye,

I'm installing one of these myself over the next few weeks on 6000-6500m2. How has the machine been for you? Any pictures of how its getting on?

Did you install it yourself or get it installed? Any info you have on it and, if possible, the installation would be really appreciated!

Thanks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

How often is it out for? I have my 430x the same length of time and it's on just under 1400 charging cycles. Almost 4,000 seems very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

Hoping to purchase one of these beautiful beasties soon. Our lawn isn't massive, under 500m but it has a fair slope on one side.

The Husqvarna 305 was suggested by Husqvarna, does anyone have any experience with this?

Also, can I ask are the guide wires above or below ground? We'll have kids, dogs, cats and chickens running around - i'm a little bit concerned the guide wires could get broken!

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Frogeye

Hi Frogeye,

I'm installing one of these myself over the next few weeks on 6000-6500m2. How has the machine been for you? Any pictures of how its getting on?

Did you install it yourself or get it installed? Any info you have on it and, if possible, the installation would be really appreciated!

Thanks

I didn't install it. Its fine now.

I had a few issues to start with. It was spending all its time in one area and not travelling at all. Had to get a ride on in to cut the rest after about 2 weeks.

I had to get the installers out a few times but they were good to support in fairness.

They eventually sorted it out and its working the finest for the last 3-4 weeks.

I have a two large areas connected by on narrow piece of lawn and it travels around no bother now. I have a line of young trees about 1m apart and it finds its way in and around them too.

Happy so far. It was the only robot I could find to do the area I had so I didn't have much choice but it is working out.

Frogeye

Frogeye wrote: »
    I didn't install it. Its fine now.

I had a few issues to start with. It was spending all its time in one area and not travelling at all. Had to get a ride on in to cut the rest after about 2 weeks.

I had to get the installers out a few times but they were good to support in fairness.

They eventually sorted it out and its working the finest for the last 3-4 weeks.

I have a two large areas connected by on narrow piece of lawn and it travels around no bother now. I have a line of young trees about 1m apart and it finds its way in and around them too.

Happy so far. It was the only robot I could find to do the area I had so I didn't have much choice but it is working out.

Frogeye

Thanks for that. Do you know what was wrong with it and how they fixed it, just in case I run into the same problems?

My area will be similar to yours, 2 or 3 areas, one across a driveway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Kash wrote: »
    Also, can I ask are the guide wires above or below ground? We'll have kids, dogs, cats and chickens running around - i'm a little bit concerned the guide wires could get broken!

Chickens would torment the poor guide wire if left on surface.
    You can bury the wire up to 10 cm I believe - check the manual.

I have dogs and they pay no heed to the few areas where wire may be exposed.
    I have broken the wire a few times, only myself to blame each time.
    But chickens! always looking for something to peck!

Advertisement