Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    Ok have my first proper robot question. Got an ambrogio installed last Friday all seems to be going well then I noticed. During the night when the robot is stationary and fully charged is is leaving the base going a few feet and returning to base. To the extent the lawn is cutting up. Also this morning it was due to start at 7 checked at 7:30 and it was still leaving the base and returning practically immediately.

I presume this is a rain sensor issue? Is the weather dry? Or perhaps a dodgy rain sensor in the machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

krissovo wrote: »
    Ignore the state of the lawn as its reclaimed from being overgrown but does anyone who has a post and rail fence have a solution for keeping small pets in the garden but allows the robot through? My landroid does a great job of cutting around the fence and as there is lawn in front of the fence I would like it to be cut by the mower.

I was thinking of putting up a brush strip or a chain curtain that will allow the mower through but limit a small dog but it would be great to hear from anyone who might have done similar.

This is the fence and the lawn in front

526280.jpg

We've a petsafe wire fence installed about 20 feet back from the boundary to keep the dog in. The dog wears a collar that beeps when she approaches the wire and that stops her.

You're always going to have to strim around the fence posts if you let the mower run through as per the photo. I'd be inclined to plant a hedge on the house side of the fence and keep the mower wire close to the hedge so it cuts right up under it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

To the extent the lawn is cutting up. Also this morning it was due to start at 7 checked at 7:30 and it was still leaving the base and returning practically immediately.

7am this time of year the lawns are damp and can cut up in heavy tracked areas. Where I live there was a heavy dew this morning that registered as rain on my mowers. Could you delay it to 10:30 or so to give give it a chance to dry out? As you are new you might be over keen to cut it all quickly and have long mowing schedules but give the machines time, it will look great after a week to 10 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

To the extent the lawn is cutting up. Also this morning it was due to start at 7 checked at 7:30 and it was still leaving the base and returning practically immediately.
    i once made a mistake in my robot (husqvarna 450) scheduling with AM vs PM and it caused it to start and stop from the dock. took a few looks at the App and head scratching before i kicked myself for not noticing it sooner.
    Probably nothing related to what you are going thru but just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Ok have my first proper robot question. Got an ambrogio installed last Friday all seems to be going well then I noticed. During the night when the robot is stationary and fully charged is is leaving the base going a few feet and returning to base. To the extent the lawn is cutting up. Also this morning it was due to start at 7 checked at 7:30 and it was still leaving the base and returning practically immediately.

Hey, which ambrogio do you have. I've the 350i elite and the only times I see it doing that is when it's wet or, so the rain sensor is triggered. If you can get to the robot when it's doing it then it should say why it's doing it on the screen on the unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Bedouin79

Hey, which ambrogio do you have. I've the 350i elite and the only times I see it doing that is when it's wet or, so the rain sensor is triggered. If you can get to the robot when it's doing it then it should say why it's doing it on the screen on the unit.

Same unit, and thanks to all who towed in it was a combination of the rain sensor and a heavy dew. I moved the start time forward 2 hours. No complaints this morning.

Great unit only have it since Friday, find it absolutely fascinating constantly checking on it

Great unit only have it since Friday, find it absolutely fascinating constantly checking on it

I have 2 now, my kids say I prefer the robot mowers to them as I am always looking out to see how they are getting on.

I have 2 now, my kids say I prefer the robot mowers to them as I am always looking out to see how they are getting on.

Now there’s an idea, 2 mowers. I’m already thinking of excuses to get another

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Give the robots the same names as the children, they won't know which your talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Same unit, and thanks to all who towed in it was a combination of the rain sensor and a heavy dew. I moved the start time forward 2 hours. No complaints this morning.

Yep, thought that might be the issue alright. I've mine about 3-4 weeks in now and myself and the wife are super happy with it. It's really working its way through and has a steep bit of a hill to contend with which is over 20 degrees inclination and it's had no issues at all. When it spirals on it, they're not perfect circles but doesn't slip or anything.

I'm the same, I'm always checking on it. The wife is telling me to stop looking at it now.
    My robot is called C3P-mow.......thinking of putting a sticker on it saying "this is not the droid you're looking for"...

But overall, brilliant machine. If you could have seen my lawn a month ago to now, it's a massive difference.

• Advertisement

My robot is called C3P-mow.......thinking of putting a sticker on it saying "this is not the droid you're looking for"...

I have Moses & lorna :D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

Mine is Moses too!

I know someone with a Jack. The postman came in one day and said Jack is out on the road. The owner had it programmed to go out and mow the grass where two roads meet.

Yep, thought that might be the issue alright. I've mine about 3-4 weeks in now and myself and the wife are super happy with it. It's really working its way through and has a steep bit of a hill to contend with which is over 20 degrees inclination and it's had no issues at all. When it spirals on it, they're not perfect circles but doesn't slip or anything.

I'm the same, I'm always checking on it. The wife is telling me to stop looking at it now.

But overall, brilliant machine. If you could have seen my lawn a month ago to now, it's a massive difference.

C3P-Mow that’s a fantastic name... we went with the Luigi the Italian lawnmower

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Anyone else having trouble with their Husqvarna schedule?
    Mine is set to come out between 10:00 and 14:00 every day, but it only comes out at around 17:00 until around 21:00.
    It's as if it's stuck on the wrong time zone, but I can't find that setting in the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

hey all , more questions... im nearly there...

with the huskies... how close to their recommended working capacity's are they... for instance i have a 700m2 lawn and the mower ive been recommended says it can handle 1000m2 , it should do the 700m2 with no problem right? completely flat lawn , practically made for a robotmower

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

Lurching wrote: »
    Anyone else having trouble with their Husqvarna schedule?
    Mine is set to come out between 10:00 and 14:00 every day, but it only comes out at around 17:00 until around 21:00.
    It's as if it's stuck on the wrong time zone, but I can't find that setting in the app.

On the App, if you go to SETTINGS, GENERAL there is a Time & Date option where you can set the time.

dashoonage wrote: »

with the huskies... how close to their recommended working capacity's are they... for instance i have a 700m2 lawn and the mower ive been recommended says it can handle 1000m2 , it should do the 700m2 with no problem right? completely flat lawn , practically made for a robotmower

That's right, going for one size up is the standard recommendation. Take 20% off what is stated max of the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CowSniffer

Question for anyone on spare sparts for landroids or mowers in general.

I'm thinking of getting two landroids as it fits my budget. However I'm a little concerned that I can't seem to find anywhere that I could buy spare parts, or go to somewhere for serving. Yeah I can get the 5 year cover on them if something failed, but what happens after those years if a motor gives up on me? Am I stuck with a Orange garden centrepiece that can't be fixed?

Looking on ebay there seems to be plenty of places to get spare parts for Husqvarna automowers and I'm pretty handy fixing stuff up. Even if it was something I can't fix, I know of two dealers within an hours drive that it could be taken to. From my research I've heard of people having those run for 8+ years and still going.

Would there be any brands asides from Husq that spare parts are easy to access?

TIA

blackbox wrote: »
    On the App, if you go to SETTINGS, GENERAL there is a Time & Date option where you can set the time.

I don't actually have a SETTINGS, GENERAL option.

I have:
    SETTINGS
    -SCHEDULE
    -OPERATION
    -INSTALLATION
    -ACCESSORIES

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭joebre

dashoonage wrote: »

I get it that you should get a size or two larger that what is calculated on the Husqvarna site. I have the 315X for the last 2 months. Trying to work out how much time should I allow for cutting ? I have it out a lot and don't know if it is cutting much a lot of the time ?

joebre wrote: »
    I get it that you should get a size or two larger that what is calculated on the Husqvarna site. I have the 315X for the last 2 months. Trying to work out how much time should I allow for cutting ? I have it out a lot and don't know if it is cutting much a lot of the time ?

You could try gradually reducing the time it's working and keep an eye on your lawn.
    Grass growth will begin to slow down now too as it gets colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I'm starting to move toward a Landroid for my purchase.
    I figure if it works, it's a cheaper option, but if I want to replace it in a few years for any reason, it's less money wasted.
    Also gives me a realistic option of having a 2nd one for the front lawn instead of "forcing" 1 unit to do both.

So with that in mind....

Are the perimeter wires all the same?
    If I install a Worx boundary today, can I reuse that if I switch to brand-X later on?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭blackbox

I don't actually have a SETTINGS, GENERAL option.

I have:
    SETTINGS
    -SCHEDULE
    -OPERATION
    -INSTALLATION
    -ACCESSORIES

The app must be different for different models (I assume you are up to date)
    Sorry for adding to the confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 CowSniffer

CowSniffer wrote: »
    Question for anyone on spare sparts for landroids or mowers in general.

I'm thinking of getting two landroids as it fits my budget. However I'm a little concerned that I can't seem to find anywhere that I could buy spare parts, or go to somewhere for serving. Yeah I can get the 5 year cover on them if something failed, but what happens after those years if a motor gives up on me? Am I stuck with a Orange garden centrepiece that can't be fixed?

Looking on ebay there seems to be plenty of places to get spare parts for Husqvarna automowers and I'm pretty handy fixing stuff up. Even if it was something I can't fix, I know of two dealers within an hours drive that it could be taken to. From my research I've heard of people having those run for 8+ years and still going.

Would there be any brands asides from Husq that spare parts are easy to access?

TIA

So I ended up putting my question to Worx directly and got the response below.

" Our current Service Center is in Wales and our head office is in Newbury.
    For the 2021 season we will have a repair center in Cork, and another in Dublin. "

So at least it looks like there should be Irish based support for Landroids next year. Does anyone have any experience with the Worx service/support based in wales?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

I got a 315X from myrobotcenter.

Old Post, how dose warranty work on Mowers bought from over seas?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

They replaced mine and paid for postage of original back to them .
    Seems they did ship a refurb as a new product though

Brianmeath wrote: »
    Old Post, how dose warranty work on Mowers bought from over seas?

I'll let you know once it breaks!

blackbox wrote: »
    The app must be different for different models (I assume you are up to date)
    Sorry for adding to the confusion.

No worries, cheers!
    (its a 315X)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

carq wrote: »
    They replaced mine and paid for postage of original back to them .
    Seems they did ship a refurb as a new product though
    Ugh. This practice seems to be rife at the moment. Had two internet radios - bought as new (one from HiFi Tower, one from Amazon) turn up as refurbs . Will drive me offline if this becomes any more common

Advertisement