Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Baoithin66

Hi I have just purchased an Ambrogio 250s. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to adjust the amount it cuts over the boundary wire (it defaults to straddling the line when doing a border cut). Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Hi folks, slightly off topic. I'm considering buying a scarifier (petrol), just wondering what is opinion and recommendations of someone who has bought one already

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi folks, slightly off topic. I'm considering buying a scarifier (petrol), just wondering what is opinion and recommendations of someone who has bought one already

Slightly off-topic! :D:D

autonomous electric lawnmowers vs petrol scarifier?!!

I think you'd get a better response by starting a new thread in the forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,335 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Only experience is using a hand one on a small lawn. Really great way to improve a lawn. Scatter some lawn seed afterwards and rake it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Sorry folks, wrong thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Bedouin79

Baoithin66 wrote: »
    Hi I have just purchased an Ambrogio 250s. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to adjust the amount it cuts over the boundary wire (it defaults to straddling the line when doing a border cut). Thanks

Bought an ambrogio recently as well.. you can vary the length over the wire in the app. I’ll have to go look at app and come back to you as to where it is on the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

So I pulled the trigger on a Landroid in the end.

I'm not 100% convinced that I can make 1 mower work for both lawns so figure I might need a second one later and didn't want to spend on a flash one only to find I had to buy the 2nd one.
    I did buy the L200 though, in case I can make it work for both lawns.

It's on back order with myrobocenter so I'm sure I will be asking lots or questions about installation when the time comes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EndaH

Hello all, newbie here looking at taking the plunge into the world of robotic mowers.
    Has anyone tried the Chinese robot mowers, I have about 2400m2 lawn. Popular brands here are in the region of 3k to suit my lawn whereas a Chinese machine comes in at less than a 3rd of that price. Any advice greatly appreciated.

EndaH wrote: »
    Hello all, newbie here looking at taking the plunge into the world of robotic mowers.
    Has anyone tried the Chinese robot mowers, I have about 2400m2 lawn. Popular brands here are in the region of 3k to suit my lawn whereas a Chinese machine comes in at less than a 3rd of that price. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Maybe link to some of these "Chinese ones"?

ArrBee wrote: »
    Maybe link to some of these "Chinese ones"?

Devvis E1600T on Ali_Express

• Advertisement

looks interesting.
    I might consider one as a second unit should I need one.

My initial thoughts would be around the claim of coverage area.
    is it really 3600m2?
    in other words are you really comparing fairly.

Surely the area a mower can cover is more than just the battery capacity.
    But the reviews on aliexpress seem really positive from a service side of things at least!

ArrBee wrote: »
    looks interesting.
    I might consider one as a second unit should I need one.

My initial thoughts would be around the claim of coverage area.
    is it really 3600m2?
    in other words are you really comparing fairly.

Surely the area a mower can cover is more than just the battery capacity.
    But the reviews on aliexpress seem really positive from a service side of things at least!

They have 2 batteries at 6.6ah each. Total 13.2 ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

A friend bought one start of the summer and has had lots of challenges so little bit of buyer beware..

1. unit arrived with motor not working
    2. seller wouldnt replace- but sent replacement motor and parts - took around 3-4 weeks to arrive. It wasn't a simple replacement - only that he is engineering savvy that he replaced the motor ok and it now works
    3. Sensor now not working and if power cuts, machine keeps running over the cable and goes on
    4. Cable provided was thin and had breaks so ended up replacing lots and buying new cable
    5. On positive note he got sent lots of spares when he complained so he has a mini robomower stock room at this stage - blades, sensors etc

Now it was only €500 compared to 2-3k but I would say that an average buyer could have ended up with a dead mower sat in the shed and simply not fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So i got my huskie 315x last week and my lawns are looking well. really happy with it.

Some questions

Are people leaving them run every day ? currently mine runs from 8am to 6pm daily which is probably too much.

What are people doing in terms of winter storage for them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

dashoonage wrote: »
    So i got my huskie 315x last week and my lawns are looking well. really happy with it.

Some questions

Are people leaving them run every day ? currently mine runs from 8am to 6pm daily which is probably too much.

My 310 is now down to running 3 days a week, was running 6 days a weeks when the lawn was in full growth.

My 450 is hitting the weather timer every day for the last week or so and is only running 3 hours a day. It was running 24/7 mid summer.

I'll probably take them in and store them in the garage at the end of October depending on the grass growth. It's the end of my first season with them.

Thanks for that. i dont think mine need to be running 7 days anyway. still learning with them here. Are you running them 3 days in a row and letting the lawn grow or 3 random days ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

dashoonage wrote: »

Some questions

430x in about 2.5 weeks. First week it was left run 24/7 to learn the map , then I cut it to midnight to 7am. And knocked 3 more hours off this week. Will leave it at that until the frost comes

Thanks for the replies , I'll leave mine run as is until Tuesday, that's a week run in then , I'll change it after that. It was cold here last night but no frost yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Anyone recommend a ‘doghouse’ for a small robot mower?
    Couple of options on amazon. Would this be good enough for winter storage or do people pack away power cables for the winter too?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Does anyone with a worx landroid have issues when the unit tries to dock back into the charger? More than half times it fails, and instead of going back, it starts doing a whole stupid circle of the perimeter again and it ends up dying in the middle.

• Advertisement

carq wrote: »
    Anyone recommend a ‘doghouse’ for a small robot mower?
    Couple of options on amazon. Would this be good enough for winter storage or do people pack away power cables for the winter too?

I bought this from Amazon, just installed it seems perfect. I’ll still be bringing mine in at end of October.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zelsius-Robotic-Lawnmower-Garage-Metal/dp/B08DFJY167/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=robot+mower+garage&qid=1601324616&sprefix=robot+mower+&sr=8-3

Actually on that anyone have any ambrogio models. How do ye charge over winter??

Bedouin79 wrote: »
    I bought this from Amazon, just installed it seems perfect. I’ll still be bringing mine in at end of October.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zelsius-Robotic-Lawnmower-Garage-Metal/dp/B08DFJY167/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=robot+mower+garage&qid=1601324616&sprefix=robot+mower+&sr=8-3

Actually on that anyone have any ambrogio models. How do ye charge over winter??

Thanks, would i be better with one that is close to base station width of 50 cm or something like the above which is 88 cm.
    worried he will keep bumping into it.

Do you being everything in over winter or just the robot?

carq wrote: »
    Thanks, would i be better with one that is close to base station width of 50 cm or something like the above which is 88 cm.
    worried he will keep bumping into it.

Do you being everything in over winter or just the robot?

It’s my first year with my robot and I’m planing of bringing in the robot at the end of October. I intend to let the charge unit and the house all winter. The house was squeezed over the charge unit last night and just about fits. So far no bumps off the new house yet, charge unit for my robot takes practically all the footprint of the house.

ah ok.
    Mine is 60L x 50W x 30H so a bit smaller.

Yeah will prob do the same this winter, might even take him out of the rain this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Two things about the winter...

- Bring the mower in. Its better for the battery to be stored indoors. Probably better to being the docking station in too but not absolutely necessary.

- Keep it cutting as long as you can. I usually keep it going into Nov. If you bring it in too early you might find that its too wet to send it out early in the new year when the grass has already started growing and by the time you do get to put it out the grass might be too strong for it.... thats one of the downsides of a robot.... once the grass gets too long you are stuck.

If there is a clear week in Jan/Feb and the ground isnt too soft, send it out for a week and bring it back in again once there is more frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

Hi - can anyone advise if the guidewire is the same for all devices? Was thinking of installing during the winter before buying a machine in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

iggy82 wrote: »
    Hi - can anyone advise if the guidewire is the same for all devices? Was thinking of installing during the winter before buying a machine in March.

Ambrogio mowers don't have guide wires. Some can have 2, some only 1. They're not all the same. But if you know what you're going for then you can get the installation manual from a google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭paul-2008

iggy82 wrote: »

In my opinion you would be mad to do an install of boundary/guide wires now and not buy a mower until next year, if you have issues it will be alot easier to test and fix when its all fresh in your head rather than 6 months later. Depending on complexity of the garden 1-2 days should get it completed

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭iggy82

OK - thanks for the advice guys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

So I ordered my Ambrogio Twenty Elite yesterday. It’s coming on Friday. Just wondering what people do for shelter for the mower. The chap I’m buying mine off said to her a dog kennel and just take the front off it.

Advertisement