Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭dashoonage

There is a lad on donedeal from sligo making houses for them. I got some the weekend as ive a number of mowers in my own plance and the parents. The price is on the high end but the quality is fantastic. I had looked at getting a dog kennel but after the last dog kennel i got for a dog i said fook that.

i think ill be running mine for another 4 weeks and then storing them indoors for the winter. Looking forward to a full season of not cutting lawns next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    So I ordered my Ambrogio Twenty Elite yesterday. It’s coming on Friday. Just wondering what people do for shelter for the mower. The chap I’m buying mine off said to her a dog kennel and just take the front off it.

My Husq lives al fresco!
    Gets covered in bird crap, but the rain then washes it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

russtini wrote: »
    A friend bought one start of the summer and has had lots of challenges so little bit of buyer beware..

1. unit arrived with motor not working
    2. seller wouldnt replace- but sent replacement motor and parts - took around 3-4 weeks to arrive. It wasn't a simple replacement - only that he is engineering savvy that he replaced the motor ok and it now works
    3. Sensor now not working and if power cuts, machine keeps running over the cable and goes on
    4. Cable provided was thin and had breaks so ended up replacing lots and buying new cable
    5. On positive note he got sent lots of spares when he complained so he has a mini robomower stock room at this stage - blades, sensors etc

Now it was only €500 compared to 2-3k but I would say that an average buyer could have ended up with a dead mower sat in the shed and simply not fixed.

Russtini - apart from the issues listed, is your mate happy with the outcome? Grass well maintained, etc?

I am also thinking of getting one as an experiment at least. Looking at the details, I could get 4 of these units for half the price of the other options I would need to cover the square meterage.

I have no doubt that they won't last as long, may not be as effective, etc. But the cost saving is very very enticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Does anyone with a worx landroid have issues when the unit tries to dock back into the charger? More than half times it fails, and instead of going back, it starts doing a whole stupid circle of the perimeter again and it ends up dying in the middle.

This is more than likely your base station is loose or not leveled properly. Check the level especially the north south orientation as you face the arm. East west I find you can be out of level a little and it doc's fine. If its not level you can add a couple of shovels of sand or top soil to the base plate and manipulate it level and firm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EndaH

tedimc wrote: »
    Russtini - apart from the issues listed, is your mate happy with the outcome? Grass well maintained, etc?

I am also thinking of getting one as an experiment at least. Looking at the details, I could get 4 of these units for half the price of the other options I would need to cover the square meterage.

I have no doubt that they won't last as long, may not be as effective, etc. But the cost saving is very very enticing.

What model are looking at, I'm looking at the E16000T, rated for 3600m2 but my garden is about 2200m2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I received shipping confirmation for my Landroid.
    While it's finding its way here I thought I should ask for opinions about where to place the base.

I've attached a pic of the site.

Initially I will only be using it on the back lawn but I want to choose a spot for the base that would make sense once the path on the east of the house is put in so I can get it to the front lawn too.
    From what I have read, the Worx goes anticlockwise to get home.
    Ideally if there was a way to put it behind the hedge at power source (2) that would be great. But it is narrow and might not make sense?

Cheers in advance to any taking the time for those that do. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Schwopper

Has anybody managed to insure their automower?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Thud

Ambrogio mowers don't have guide wires. Some can have 2, some only 1. They're not all the same. But if you know what you're going for then you can get the installation manual from a google search.

are all Ambrogio mowers wire free or just the L60?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

dashoonage wrote: »
    There is a lad on donedeal from sligo making houses for them. I got some the weekend as ive a number of mowers in my own plance and the parents. The price is on the high end but the quality is fantastic. I had looked at getting a dog kennel but after the last dog kennel i got for a dog i said fook that.

i think ill be running mine for another 4 weeks and then storing them indoors for the winter. Looking forward to a full season of not cutting lawns next year.

Cheers. Just found yer man’s ad. The kennel I’m looking at is €120 cheaper and is made from pvc. Never have to paint/treat it.

Edit - it’s not made of pvc

“Made from 100% recycled material, EcoFlex, a blend of recycled polymers and reclaimed wood by products from the manufacture of hardwood furniture frames – materials that normally would be burned or dumped into a landfill”

ArrBee wrote: »
    I received shipping confirmation for my Landroid.
    While it's finding its way here I thought I should ask for opinions about where to place the base.

I've attached a pic of the site.

I would place it at point 3 as long as you have under 10 meters from the plug Socket to the lawn. The cable would be hidden in the planting and its away from high tracked areas.

I had a funky perimeter on my setup that had the landroid crossing from our rear to front lawn. Mine crossed a driveway and a couple of curbs so in the end I went with a 2nd landroid As it was a bit unreliable. If your levels are ok between lawns it should do both lawns no problem. For that 2nd zone just remember the wire has a minimum gap of 15cm. You will find from time to time the landroid trying to mow the path and getting confused at times. If this happens the off limits will be useful to stop that scenario by laying a strip at each zone entrance. The droid will not cross the off limits strip until it returns to charge.

• Advertisement

krissovo wrote: »
    I would place it at point 3 as long as you have under 10 meters from the plug Socket to the lawn. The cable would be hidden in the planting and its away from high tracked areas.

I had a funky perimeter on my setup that had the landroid crossing from our rear to front lawn. Mine crossed a driveway and a couple of curbs so in the end I went with a 2nd landroid As it was a bit unreliable. If your levels are ok between lawns it should do both lawns no problem. For that 2nd zone just remember the wire has a minimum gap of 15cm. You will find from time to time the landroid trying to mow the path and getting confused at times. If this happens the off limits will be useful to stop that scenario by laying a strip at each zone entrance. The droid will not cross the off limits strip until it returns to charge.

Thanks for that.
    You sound like you know the answer to some of the stuff I am trying to figure out!
    I went with worx so that I could justify getting a 2nd one if I need to, but I do want to try and make a single more work 1st.
    When you say 15cm min gap, are you saying that I can run the boundary down and back along a path as narrow as long as the wire is at least 15cm apart?

If there is an off limits strip stopping it from mowing along a "path", will the landroid still traverse the path to "get out" to an area, or will it only return?

The manual wasn't too clear about setting up zones, but I might try and figure that out once it turns up and I start playing with it.

Thanks for that.
    You sound like you know the answer to some of the stuff I am trying to figure out!
    I went with worx so that I could justify getting a 2nd one if I need to, but I do want to try and make a single more work 1st.
    When you say 15cm min gap, are you saying that I can run the boundary down and back along a path as narrow as long as the wire is at least 15cm apart?

If there is an off limits strip stopping it from mowing along a "path", will the landroid still traverse the path to "get out" to an area, or will it only return?

The manual wasn't too clear about setting up zones, but I might try and figure that out once it turns up and I start playing with it.

When the landroid returns to its base station to charge it will switch off the off limits & the ACS module so it can return unhindered. Its the same when it searches for a zone, they only switch on when they leave the boundary wire so it will cross the off limits strip.

Worx’s have a decent online guide, the zones one is below. It will travel down a path as long as its wide enough, approx 1.5m.
    https://support.worx-europe.com/how-to-set-up-multi-zone

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Thud wrote: »
    are all Ambrogio mowers wire free or just the L60?

Hi Thud,

Not wire free. I do have a boundary wire installed.

krissovo wrote: »
    When the landroid returns to its base station to charge it will switch off the off limits & the ACS module so it can return unhindered. Its the same when it searches for a zone, they only switch on when they leave the boundary wire so it will cross the off limits strip.

Worx’s have a decent online guide, the zones one is below. It will travel down a path as long as its wide enough, approx 1.5m.
    https://support.worx-europe.com/how-to-set-up-multi-zone

Perfect, thanks.
    I was only looking in the manual. Those support guides look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 russtini

tedimc wrote: »

Overall I would say he is more frustrated than happy. The main issue seemed to be the shipping from China - the box was in bits when it arrived and hence the motor etc issues - the packaging and build quality was not good enough for the journey it took.

He is retired so has time to fix (and it was considerable amount of hours contacted seller, getting parts, then fixing himself) - but he wouldn't repeat after this experience.

The machine now does its job, but build quality is 1/4 of the other brands and therefore aligned on price!! Would I buy one after looking at it: Not for me... If oyu keep an eye out you can pick up branded robomowers on amazon warehouse for €600-800 with all the guarantees and quality and less of the hassle. That would be my test and try out route. Hope that helps!

Nearly two weeks in now. Cutting time down to 6hrs 3 days a week. Will run that for the next 2-3 weeks and away they go for the winter. Glad i made the choice to get them now instead of waiting until next spring. Looking forward to popping them out and lettng them off next year and not having to put up with weekly cuts in irish weather!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Coley35

Love the thread. Looking for a bit of advice please. I'm ready to take the plunge and purchase a robot mower. I was originally interested in the Husqvarna 430x but looking at that review on you tube comparing the Ambrogio 4.0 elite, my head has been turned. I phoned the dealer this morning enquiring about the 4.0 elite. He said he does not sell any of them as they are not suited to Irish grass... He was recommending the L250i elite or the Stihl RMI 632 C.
    I have 2 separate lawns also, 1900 square meters approximately. My 3 options are,

1, Cut into 2 foot high walls and lay guidewires across Tarmac to 2nd lawn.

2, Get mini digger in to fill in a 30 meter drain at rear of site and lay new grass area 1.2 meter wide to connect lawns (seems a lot of work)

3, Lift unit to 2nd lawn every couple of days (defeats the purpose of robot mower IMO)

Any advice on which unit to purchase would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Coley35 wrote: »
    Love the thread. Looking for a bit of advice please. I'm ready to take the plunge and purchase a robot mower. I was originally interested in the Husqvarna 430x but looking at that review on you tube comparing the Ambrogio 4.0 elite, my head has been turned. I phoned the dealer this morning enquiring about the 4.0 elite. He said he does not sell any of them as they are not suited to Irish grass... He was recommending the L250i elite or the Stihl RMI 632 C.
    I have 2 separate lawns also, 1900 square meters approximately. My 3 options are,

2, Get mini digger in to fill in a 30 meter drain at rear of site and lay new grass area 1.2 meter wide to connect lawns (seems a lot of work)

3, Lift unit to 2nd lawn every couple of days (defeats the purpose of robot mower IMO)

Can you get power to second lawn ? I had a choice between crossing tar or getting two mowers and 2 smaller ones were w similar price to the 430x. I stuck with one and crossed tar but 2 might Be an option for you

Can you get power to second lawn ? I had a choice between crossing tar or getting two mowers and 2 smaller ones were w similar price to the 430x. I stuck with one and crossed tar but 2 might Be an option for you

Thank you for reply. I could run out some new cable and outdoor socket to 2nd lawn alright. It would be a better option than getting a digger in anyway. Would have to go looking at 2 smaller models then... more time on Google :)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Coley35 wrote:

This one sounds like more fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Coley35 wrote: »

Interested to know in what way he said the 4.0 elite isn't suited it Irish grass. Had planned on going the exact same way for next years cutting season for the same reason

Does anyone with a landroid + ACS get them shipped at the same time?
    Were they together in the mower box, or in separate boxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Does anyone with a landroid + ACS get them shipped at the same time?
    Were they together in the mower box, or in separate boxes?

It depends where you order it from. Mine arrived at the same box yes and I had ordered it from myrobotcenter.

I also got new shoes to Robbie :D

OEtbb9E.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭carq

Hi

I notice from your picture above a lot of brown straw like grass.
    I have the same issue in the center of my lawn.

I bought some feed (pellets) but it didnt seem to have any impact.
    Any idea what it is and what can help here ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

carq wrote: »
    Hi

I would have thought that was a result of the moss.
    The moss on my lawn has reduced this year thanks to the robot, but I still have a fair bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

carq wrote: »
    Hi

I hadn't cut the grass for 6 weeks in the middle of the summer so it had grown wild and it took me a 2-3 weeks extra to get it at a height that the robot can cut it. All the brown stuff are the remainder of clippings. Hopefully next year the lawn will be a lot better with the robot running non stop.

Hey all, had a power cut today, first once since the huskie 315x mowers went in. Now when the power went little orange triangle type icons appeared on the map where they stopped. Mowers are working away find but the icons are still there? any ideas?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    It depends where you order it from. Mine arrived at the same box yes and I had ordered it from myrobotcenter.

I also got new shoes to Robbie :D

Thanks.
    mine arrived from myrobot center without the ACS inside the box. They claimed it was in there etc, but I was rreally trying to work out if it would even fit in the box.

They are sending the ACS out separately now, so all good.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    So I ordered my Ambrogio Twenty Elite yesterday. It’s coming on Friday. Just wondering what people do for shelter for the mower. The chap I’m buying mine off said to her a dog kennel and just take the front off it.
    Hi Tililkum17, let us know how you get on with the Twenty Elite. I have my mind set on one but my local dealer said he hasn't sold any of those and is leaning me towards the Ambrogio L250i Elite or Stihl RMI 632 C or P (as he is a Stihl dealer also). I like the reviews on the Ambrogio but undecided which model to go for. Best of luck with it!

Advertisement