Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for incoming intl. usd payment to ptsb euro account

Options
  • 20-05-2014 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭

I tried to lodge a usd cheque to my PTSB account last week only to be told it'd have to be sent for collection by them to the bank on which it was drawn in the US, could take weeks and weeks, and they couldnt tell me how much it would cost. It sounded to me like PTSB don't have a usd clearing bank anymore?

Anyway I'm now in the process of cancelling the cheque and asking for the remitter to issue a funds transfer. They will be sending a USD amount and I have my bic and Iban. Is this sufficient information for a US based bank to send to an irish based bank considering they aren't in SEPA? Also who will do the fx? The remitting bank, or PTSB when the USD amount hits their account? Also does anyone Know how long these payments usually take?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

FX is generally done by an intermediary like CitiBank. Timeframe is usually about 5 working days from a US bank to an Irish bank afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Thanks for that nervous wreck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Call me Al wrote: »
    I tried to lodge a usd cheque to my PTSB account last week only to be told it'd have to be sent for collection by them to the bank on which it was drawn in the US, could take weeks and weeks, and they couldnt tell me how much it would cost. It sounded to me like PTSB don't have a usd clearing bank anymore?

PTSB have a USD clearing bank for electronic payments.

PTSB, like other banks, recently changed provider for clearing foreign cheques, which effects your situation.
    They will be sending a USD amount and I have my bic and Iban. Is this sufficient information for a US based bank to send to an irish based bank considering they aren't in SEPA?

That should be fine. The might also insist on the address.
    Also who will do the fx?

The US bank will send the funds to PTSB in USD. PTSB will then do the FX into EUR using an intermediary bank. They will not give you a favourable FX rate. You are better off using a currency broker like Currency Fair.
    Also does anyone Know how long these payments usually take?

Anything from 1 business day to around 4 business days. It depends on how quick all the parties play their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

That's great. Thanks for all that fungus.

Advertisement