Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Square Mile Roast Profile

• 20-05-2014 12:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭

Received my latest Square Mile espresso sub yesterday:
    Ayichesh Oromia, fully washed, mixed heirloom Ethiopian.

Brewed it as espresso and it was very nice but brewed it as filter today and it was lovely. I presume their roast profiles for espresso and filter differ slightly but to what extent? When is it not a good idea to try an espresso roast as a filter? When it's roasted a touch too dark?

I much prefer the idea of roasting light enough so the coffee can be enjoyed both ways but I'm sure there's good reason for targeting a specific brew method to bring out certain flavours.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I would have thought hey would roast the coffee as it is best suited and then it either works as espresso or filter or both. Rather than roasting the same coffee different ways. That is certainly the way Has Bean does it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I think there are two ways to think about this,

1) roasting 2 different ways, for filter or espresso, as the extraction methods and TDS targets are completely different
    2) roasting to what you think is best for the bean, and then work around that with your machines.

Heart Roasters recently stopped roasting differently for espresso and filter, and justified (quite convincingly) their decision in this blog post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

adrian522 wrote: »
    I would have thought hey would roast the coffee as it is best suited and then it either works as espresso or filter or both. Rather than roasting the same coffee different ways. That is certainly the way Has Bean does it.

I see they have it available as both here:

http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/ayichesh-espresso
    http://shop.squaremilecoffee.com/products/ayichesh
    After the success of the filter version of this coffee, we thought it would be great as an espresso. Expect a slightly different flavour profile in the cup, but there are still plenty of floral aromas present.

Jezek wrote: »
    I think there are two ways to think about this,

1) roasting 2 different ways, for filter or espresso, as the extraction methods and TDS targets are completely different
    2) roasting to what you think is best for the bean, and then work around that with your machines.

Heart Roasters recently stopped roasting differently for espresso and filter, and justified (quite convincingly) their decision in this blog post.

I read that article before and think it's a good decision on their part but I'm sure other roasters probably like to change the profile for espresso. Most of these specialty espresso roasted coffees are so lightly roasted anyway they work well as filter.

This is an interesting video on espresso and roasting:

Ben Kaminsky: Espresso: Why you hate it, how to fix it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-YI50dUC7g&list=UU0pTCJn1RU-dwGUt8y5lPR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

James_R wrote: »
    Received my latest Square Mile espresso sub yesterday:
    Ayichesh Oromia, fully washed, mixed heirloom Ethiopian.

Brewed it as espresso and it was very nice but brewed it as filter today and it was lovely. I presume their roast profiles for espresso and filter differ slightly but to what extent? When is it not a good idea to try an espresso roast as a filter? When it's roasted a touch too dark?

I much prefer the idea of roasting light enough so the coffee can be enjoyed both ways but I'm sure there's good reason for targeting a specific brew method to bring out certain flavours.

nothing to do with anything but drinking this right now. It has blown my mind away. Got it fresh roasted and was mediocre for first 3 days, day 8 now it's one of the best coffees I've tasted all year. By the way I'm drinking the filter roast

Jezek wrote: »
    nothing to do with anything but drinking this right now. It has blown my mind away. Got it fresh roasted and was mediocre for first 3 days, day 8 now it's one of the best coffees I've tasted all year. By the way I'm drinking the filter roast

Are you on the 3fE sub? The two Ethiopians that came in the post last week are delicious!! So juicy.

Advertisement