Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Zurich 2014 - Swim Start Changes

Options
  • 20-05-2014 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

So I received the below in an Ironman mail shot this morning. What are your thoughts? A waved start approach to IM. Good or bad? I think it's a good thing though if it's not assigned and strictly managed it could be a mess and end up just like the regular start?!

"Starting Procedure
    For the very first time at IRONMAN Zurich Switzerland the age groupers will start in two waves (instead of a mass start). If you normally complete the swim portion of 3,8 kilometers in less than 1h15min you are going to start in the first wave and if your estimated swim time is more than 1h15min you are required to start in the second wave (self-seeding).

Start 1. Wave: 06.50am
    Start 2. Wave: 07.00am

PLEASE NOTICE: The athletes will be segmented equally (approx.) to these two waves which means if you are a fast swimmer and want to start in the first wave you should arrive early enough to the pre-start area in order to ensure that there is still enough space"

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Sounds disastrous. How will they work out the timing unless they have two distinct corrals?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭altercor

Oryx wrote: »
    Sounds disastrous. How will they work out the timing unless they have two distinct corrals?

I agree. At the most it'll just string out the field but I don't think this is the right way to do a wave start! I am making that statement with absolutely no experience of organising a race but this way does seem a bit half-baked.

Also, as I'm doing the race, and 1:15 is about my pace (hopefully faster!!) I'm now undecided where to put myself!

I must just take the extra 5 mins in bed! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

altercor wrote: »
    So I received the below in an Ironman mail shot this morning. What are your thoughts? A waved start approach to IM. Good or bad? I think it's a good thing though if it's not assigned and strictly managed it could be a mess and end up just like the regular start?!

"Starting Procedure
    For the very first time at IRONMAN Zurich Switzerland the age groupers will start in two waves (instead of a mass start). If you normally complete the swim portion of 3,8 kilometers in less than 1h15min you are going to start in the first wave and if your estimated swim time is more than 1h15min you are required to start in the second wave (self-seeding).

Start 1. Wave: 06.50am
    Start 2. Wave: 07.00am

PLEASE NOTICE: The athletes will be segmented equally (approx.) to these two waves which means if you are a fast swimmer and want to start in the first wave you should arrive early enough to the pre-start area in order to ensure that there is still enough space"
    Ironman Austria did the same this year. I'm happy with it. Means I'm starting with 800 people rather than 2,600. Less of a mess at the start, first corner etc.

Not sure how the finish line will work tho. Will it be timed off the first or second wave?

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Ironman Austria did the same this year. I'm happy with it. Means I'm starting with 800 people rather than 2,600. Less of a mess at the start, first corner etc.

Not sure how the finish line will work tho. Will it be timed off the first or second wave?

Ya, It will give the added space, which is good. Just not sure how it'll be marshalled.

Also not sure re your question about the finish times. 5 mins is a long time if it's 10:05, 11:05 etc showing on the finish line... Not that I'd be seeing that time!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Hopefully, they've decided against repeating the fashion faux pas of yellow hats and yellow bouys, that provided much "entertainment" a few years ago...

• Advertisement

Izoard wrote: »
    Hopefully, they've decided against repeating the fashion faux pas of yellow hats and yellow bouys, that provided much "entertainment" a few years ago...

They had the yellow hats/yellow buoys last year too, I think! Though it was early in the morning and I may still have been half asleep!

I reckon I'll try for the fast group and get on someone's ankles as oppose to going towards the front of the second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭The Davestator

altercor wrote: »
    I agree. At the most it'll just string out the field but I don't think this is the right way to do a wave start! I am making that statement with absolutely no experience of organising a race but this way does seem a bit half-baked.

Also, as I'm doing the race, and 1:15 is about my pace (hopefully faster!!) I'm now undecided where to put myself!

I must just take the extra 5 mins in bed! ;)

I'm in the same boat, I'll be around 1:20 I think but if I go in the second wave, I could end up behind 1:45/2:00 people. Don't want to mess up anyone else's swim though by being too slow.

Hopefully I'm faster by then and it won't be an issue!

Advertisement