Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 year old King Charles -sleep issues

• 20-05-2014 2:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Have a male king Charles about 5 years now. Always sleeps sown stairs in the utility room l. Has his own little bed always happy as Larry. However lately he has started barking at 3-5 am. You go down to him and he is jumping all over you about blend waiting at the living room door for you to let him upstairs. Been going on for a few weeks now and after the first few times we caved in and let him sleep upstairs. So my question why. What's up with him ?. He always willingly goes to bed and if I am even down during the night he is fast asleep. There is no noise that sets him off anyway and strangely it's not every night he does it. So its not a case of we let him up once now he always wants to come up.

Any ideas folks ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Soby wrote: »
    So its not a case of we let him up once now he always wants to come up.
    I'd say that it is. Even if he doesn't do it every night he has learned that when he feels like sleeping upstairs he just has to bark and you'll let him upstairs. The only thing to do, if you're sure he's not barking because he needs to toilet, is to ignore the behaviour and he'll soon stop it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Would he be getting too warm? My two have been unsettled at nights over the last few weeks - except for when it's raining and nice and cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Nah wouldn't be a warm issues . Has a 2nd cushion he lies on sometimes in the kitchen so sure he would go there if warm . If it is that he thinks he can just bark and come up why would he go to bed in the first place I wonder. There is a routine when he goes to bed . Always lies on the living room and night and knows when the tv is turned off its time to go and he's gets up goes outside to go toilet then goes into bed himself . There is no "putting him to bed " as such . All done willingly. I'm gonna try a late walk for him tonight ( usually just gets 1 first thing ) and see if that does anything. Plan B ignore him. But you know yourself your up early and want a quick solution to the noise :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

You say hes getting a walk first thing in the morning? You didnt start walking him a bit earlier lately or anything did you? My friends dog started doing the same thing, waking up and barking from about 3.30am onwards and she realised it was because he was expecting his walk around 6 am, but he was getting excited and looking for it a bit early!!! Once she changed his walking time to later on in the morning the barking stopped.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Soby wrote: »
    There is no noise that sets him off

This is the first thing that struck me about your post... How do you know for certain that it's not a noise or something else happening about the place that's new?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP if you can record him and see what's happening. I did that the other night with my dogs because they're moving around at night and wanted to see if the pup was kicking the other one out of bed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

tk123 wrote: »
    OP if you can record him and see what's happening. I did that the other night with my dogs because they're moving around at night and wanted to see if the pup was kicking the other one out of bed :p

You know that's not a bad idea actually . Rule out a noise issue . Not the walk my mam brings him each morning after dropping sister to school so always been the same time . Plus once he Is upstairs he is asleep within seconds so :P. Gonna record him and see . Last 2 nights he barking earlier now . Half 1 . Will report back :)

Advertisement