Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance on an Irish Licence

Options
  • 20-05-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭

Looking at insurance prices for Cars in the UK at the moment. I am getting crazy quotes back. Can anyone get me some advice on who gives a good deal? Or possibly where I might be going wrong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Try to give your profession a more boring title. I engineer sports cars. Insurance companies see me as a consultant engineer - which I also am technically.

Also how and where you store the car is important.

There's not much though really you can do that's not illegal other than telling the glossed up truth.
    Pay in one annual lump-sum (much cheaper!)
    Look at fully comp too, it's often cheaper than third party.
    Try all the comparison websites.

What quotes are you getting for what type car, what age and what experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Privilege insured me for 3 years on an Irish licence, didnt seem too bad.
    No difference with the UK licence, excluding the fact the premium is reduced year on year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

Personally I would immediately exchange your Irish licence for a UK license, then go on the comparison websites - I recommend that one run by meerkats ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Long Gone wrote: »
    Personally I would immediately exchange your Irish licence for a UK license, then go on the comparison websites - I recommend that one run by meerkats ;)

I would never do this.

Penalty points!

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Long Gone

enda1 wrote: »
    I would never do this.

Penalty points!

Legally you don't have a choice - If you are normally resident in the UK you can only legally drive on your Irish license for three years MAXIMUM.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_068659.pdf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

If you're concerned about trolling, report the post. Do not drag the thread off-topic. Any more off-topic, abusive or argumentative posts will result in disciplinary action.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Legally you don't have a choice - If you are normally resident in the UK you can only legally drive on your Irish license for three years MAXIMUM.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/@motor/documents/digitalasset/dg_068659.pdf

This post is incorrect. Use https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

You can keep your Irish licence till you're 70, and there's no reason not to keep it.

Never saw any particular differences in quotes, albeit some insurers wanted extra proof of address as obviously the address on the licence is not a UK address.

The big deal is no claims, especially if you're new to the UK and looking for someone to recognise an Irish NCB! Adrian Flux are used to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Not true.
    Ordinary licences
    Until you are 70 or have lived in GB for three years, whichever is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Questioning or commenting on a moderator's decision in-thread will result in a break from the forum.

If you need a reminder of the rules of the forum, please see the charter.

Thank you,
    Jack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 245 ✭✭5p9arw38djv2b4

Not true. Lived in the uk for 8 years and had this discussion withDVLA several times as I kept hearing that I had to change it and DVLA kept saying no. Ireland and UK have an agreement where you can drive in either on either license indefinitely. Also the penalty points thing!

Uk insurance companies treat uk and EEC licences the exact same. Insurance however seems much cheaper in Ireland though which might be why you are finding it so expensive. Tax is way cheaper though so it evens out. See if you can change where you park it at night, that can make a big difference for insurance - on street vs private driveway

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Wanders_fan

Yea unfortunately I just have to take the hit. It seems my postcode and parking situation are the issue.

I will probably get a broker to see if they can do any better than I have.

Advertisement