Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recently Factory Restored Laptop - increased Risk profile?

• 20-05-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭

I've tried finding an existing thread asking this question but cant so here goes.

I've recently restored my laptop to factory settings because it was too slow, since then its working as fast as before. I dont allow java updates as there is so many it pretty much slows it up again so i use it only for light browsing and downloading. My question is even though i have applied Avast free version on to it should i avoid online banking/paypal on it?

I have been using mozilla on it but thats now a pop up advert disaster, is there any particular browser more safe than the others?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Deco99 wrote: »
    I have been using mozilla on it but thats now a pop up advert disaster, is there any particular browser more safe than the others?

I've been using firefox for years and I've never had one popup. What do you think is causing all these popups? (genuine question) They should be blocked by default. Also consider the "adblock plus" add on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

I dont allow java updates as there is so many it pretty much slows it up again so i use it only for light browsing and downloading.

How many updates is so many?
    https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/release_dates.xml

Only 2 updates on v7 this year so far.
    You'd be better off uninstalling java as opposed to not updating it to be honest. Recent updates included fixes to some pretty nasty bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

Khannie wrote: »
    I've been using firefox for years and I've never had one popup. What do you think is causing all these popups? (genuine question) They should be blocked by default. Also consider the "adblock plus" add on.

There just seems to be two/three constant onscreen advert spaces across the bottom and to the left and bottom right. they differ in advert depending on the site but usually video games and gambling type ones plus the odd russian bride

How many updates is so many?
    https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/release_dates.xml

Only 2 updates on v7 this year so far.
    You'd be better off uninstalling java as opposed to not updating it to be honest. Recent updates included fixes to some pretty nasty bugs.

When i originally restored i allowed java to update and it spent hours updating, thousands of updates, the computer was useless after it so i re restored and just clicked no everytime it asks for an update, my flash player is no longer working now either so i guess i need to bring it forward.

You reckon uninstall java and re download the latest version?

You reckon uninstall java and re download the latest version?

It's a starting point alright. Do you need it for something in particular? Most people can get by without it just fine these days.

• Advertisement

There just seems to be two/three constant onscreen advert spaces across the bottom and to the left and bottom right. they differ in advert depending on the site but usually video games and gambling type ones plus the odd russian bride

Nightmare. Yeah, adblock plus extension.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/adblock-plus/

Khannie wrote: »
    It's a starting point alright. Do you need it for something in particular? Most people can get by without it just fine these days.

I generally just use laptop for college work. Streaming and browsing. Videos on flash are the only things im having issues with lately. I suppose I was just curious if the increased pop ups and lack of update made it unsafe to bank online. I'll put on that blocker on cheers

Advertisement