Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do birds eat my slug pellets ?

• 20-05-2014 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭

I have been putting down ferric phosphate pellets for the slugs on the basis that they are not likely to do any harm to the wildlife.

However they seem to be disappearing too quickly for them to be being taken by slugs (one day they are there and then its is a wipeout -the pellets , that is).

What might be the culprit if it is not the slugs?
    Birds? Mice?

Would I be wise to somehow cover these pellets so that the birds don't take them?(I don't think they will be harming them but I still don't want them to pinch them)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

yup thrushes mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭amandstu

Thanks

Is there any other way around that then if they are nicking them?

I know it says to put them on the bare ground but would they still work in the long grass?

And would it be better to sprinkle them more sparsely to make it less convenient for the birds to mop them up like pigeons in Trafalgar square?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Delete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Wait. I havent heard about ferric phosphate is this different. Will it not kill animals that eat poisoned slugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭greasepalm

• Advertisement
Advertisement