Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tasting Menu Recommendations - Dublin

Options
  • 20-05-2014 3:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

I'm looking for a recommendation for a tasting menu for a special occasion (mammy's birthday) in Dublin City. Price isn't really an issue as I'm looking for the Michelin Star experience or something similar but, of course, value for money is always good.

Also, I notice a lot of places do tasting menus "by table only". What exactly does that mean? Does that mean there is a minimum number or people I need to get one?? Or does it mean the whole table needs to be on a tasting menu, ie, I can get a table for 2 and still have the tasting menu??

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

I would recommend Chapter one. Great restaurant and not as stuffy/formal as other Michelin star places.

"by table only" means the whole table needs to order the tasting menu. The number of people at the table doesn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

For me it has to be the Greenhouse! Although I've also heard good things about Sabor Brazil... and people rave about Forest Avenue although I didn't like it...

The table thing just means that everyone on the table (even if it's just two people) has to get the tasting menu - like you can't have one person on the tasting menu and the other ordering a la carte.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If money isn't an issue and you want the best dining experience in Dublin and the best Michelin Star experience in Dublin there is only one answer, the 8 course degustation Menu in Restaurant Patrick Guilbauld. It's €165 per person though.

They do 4 course degustation menu's from Tuesday to Friday for €90, which is good value, consists of starter, fish, meat and desert usually.

Thornton's do a 5 course menu for €90 as well which is also exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

Forest Avenue is worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Seaneh wrote: »
    If money isn't an issue and you want the best dining experience in Dublin and the best Michelin Star experience in Dublin there is only one answer, the 8 course degustation Menu in Restaurant Patrick Guilbauld. It's €165 per person though.

I've been saving that one for her 60th in a couple of years!

I see L'ecrivain has an 8 course for 75pp, has anyone tried it? And is it worth paying a fair bit more for the paired wines?

Also considering One Pico if anyone has ever been?

I kind of want a fair few courses because its a different experience to the normal 3/4 courses.

so far I've got L'ecrivain, One Pico, Greenhouse, Thorntons and Chapter 1. Now to try decide between them is the hard part!

Edit: Forest Avenue looks great, its cheap so I will keep that one up my sleeve for another time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Bodidly

I'd second Sabor Brazil. A really unique dining experience and excellent service. 7 course Tasting menu for €100 when we went there a few months ago, presumably still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

+1 for both Greenhouse and Thorntons. Make sure to get matching wines too, really make the meal! Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Has anyone got one of these with a vegetarian? Would both people at the table have to go veggie? I presume advanced notice of veggie menu would be necessary

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Slunk wrote: »
    Has anyone got one of these with a vegetarian? Would both people at the table have to go veggie? I presume advanced notice of veggie menu would be necessary

You'd have to phone when reserving the table and ask if it was possible. They might accommodate and they might not. It would really depend on the chefs mood on the day/the available produce/what time of year/other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

Slunk wrote: »

A couple of friends of mine got a veggie menu in Greenhouse so they definitely do them (or did last summer anyway).

• Advertisement

I know L'ecrevian has one but I dont know if they will pair it with a tasting menu. Forest Avenue seem to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

I think Pearl Brasserie have a veggie one too.

With regard to the OP I would head to The Grrenhouse

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aoifeod1987

Hi Boards users, just came across this.

I have a booking for July 10th if anyone here is interested. Dealrush voucher for 100 euro also. I'm unable to make it so just thought I would put it up here for anyone interested!

Hi Boards users, just came across this.

I have a booking for July 10th if anyone here is interested. Dealrush voucher for 100 euro also. I'm unable to make it so just thought I would put it up here for anyone interested!

For where?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aoifeod1987

Apologies. It is a booking for Sabor Brazil.

Advertisement