Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Hobby Caravan

Options
  • 20-05-2014 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭

Hi I don't know should I post this here bit there's no caravan thread. I'm thinking of buying a Hobby Excellent 540 ufe single axle caravan. Has anyone any good or bad things to say about these. Are they accepted on camp sites and by insurance company's as I was reading some old forums and they seem to fall into a certain catagory. Is this still the way or has things changed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Single axle Hobby caravans are fine, its the large twin axle one's that are popular with a certain fraternity that are frowned upon. But that goes for most large twin axle caravans in peak season on the continent. Should have no problem insuring one.
    Cant give an opinion on that particular model as have not been in one, but looked at the bigger ones some years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭fiestaman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

All depends what you plan to tow it with. A Volvo estate and you will be welcomed with open arms. A Transit/HiAce, and perhaps less so............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭db

Looks like a nice deal and I wouldn't worry about having problems with sites. I see plenty of similar caravans on sites all over the country. Make sure you do all the checks - particularly check for damp and verify the ownership either through CRiS or directly with the previous owner.

Have you checked that you car is big / powerful enough to pull it?

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭now online

fiestaman wrote: »
    Hi I don't know should I post this here bit there's no caravan thread. I'm thinking of buying a Hobby Excellent 540 ufe single axle caravan. Has anyone any good or bad things to say about these. Are they accepted on camp sites and by insurance company's as I was reading some old forums and they seem to fall into a certain catagory. Is this still the way or has things changed?

Hi We bought a hobby last year, excellent caravan loads of room, no downside to it at all. Ours is a single axle too and we haven't encountered any problems so far. Happy caravaning hope it works out for you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Also check it thoroughly for damp - we looked in loads of dealers for a caravan a few years ago and the quality of what most of them were offering was terrible (and they told us they were fine, great condition, no damp etc...). We ended by buying privately.
    (BTW - We found Charles Camping had the best quality stuff)
    Look in behind the seats and hidden corners and make sure there are no squidgy bits on the walls.
    If you can get a simple damp meter also (About £20 on Amazon.co.uk)

Advertisement