Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long Bike Ride; IM training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Jonnymercier

Id personally recommend the Don Finks book, its great to give a bit of structure to your training. Dont have to follow it to the letter, but gives a good guide of what you should be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

peter kern wrote: »
    i liked the guy who asked what zico did for his first IM
    best question one could ask.
    first thing one should look at is what worked and did not work the last time.
    also what is missing is how can we comment on a long bike ride if we dodnt now the rest of the training ?
    also is zico looking for a short term fix or has a long term goal.

for tunny one question given the fact that the op has done 22 km on bike from somewhere october till mid april you would still think its wrong to do overdistance given the lack of bike miles ?

It was Jackyback who asked it and it was a good question. I intended to reply sooner, it's just I went off on a stag weekend on Friday and I'm only coming around now.

This approach is different to how I went about my long bikes last time. 4 years ago it was a 30 minute warm up, 30.00 40km TT effort, whatever length of time in between at a steady pace, 30.00 40km TT effort, 30.00 cooldown.
    I'm not sure it worked, as I did fade a little bit towards the end of the bike on race day. On reflection I thought I hadn't spent enough time riding at a high intensity, so when I started training for an IM 70.3 two years ago I devised something like the session I outlined in the OP. It was only half the distance, but I was pleased with how I biked that day and put it down to the training. The difference was more intensity in my longer rides and I trained on the turbo as well.

I just wanted some general feedback on long bike rides not necessarily the rest of the training. I think it should be possible to say something in general on long rides, in the same way I think it's possible to say something in general on long runs for marathon training. I'm happy with the posts people have made and I have been given food for thought.

I know there's no quick fixes and no I'm not looking for one. Long Term goal is as you know IM Mallorca, so far I've entered only two races in the meantime. It'd be nice to do well in them, but they're not targets for me. Wherever they fall in my training they'll fall and I'll continue with Mallorca as my focus.
    peter kern wrote: »
    and anther thing iam interested zico what im pace are you using goal race pace your current pace ???

IM pace for me will be goal race pace 180 ÷ 5, so 36km/hr. I know with wind, hills, etc. it won't always be possible to hit this speed, and starting off training proper in a couple of weeks I don't expect to hit it for the 5 or whatever number of efforts. But I'll keep my RPE the same and I'm hoping towards the end of my training the speed will start averaging out somewhere around this. I know a 5 hour split on the day will ambitious, but no point aiming low.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

@ jackyback I hope I've answered your question in the reply to Peter above. Sorry it took this length of time

Thanks Tunney, our approaches might be different, but I do read your posts with interest and appreciate your input. I'll take your advice on board whether you believe it or not.

Advertisement