Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike licence

• 20-05-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Basically im 21 with no bike licence yet, but hope to have a 600 "restricted" in the next couple of years. Can anyone explain the steps please?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Conveniently, Roadskill already did.... http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057065311

Read that thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Step 1. Read the sticky at the top of this forum " Updated Starting Out Guide for Motorcyclists (20/10/2013) "

:) good luck with the pursuit!

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

Thanks but I still find the rules confusing. Can anyone explain the basics in plain english please?

Peter03 wrote: »
    Thanks but I still find the rules confusing. Can anyone explain the basics in plain english please?

Ask specific questions and we'll answer them. The starting out guide is fairly simple to follow.

Theory test,
    Get Licence A2 in your case,
    Do IBT,
    Get gear,
    Get bike,
    Get insured,
    Ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Peter03

Do you have to have experience on a small bike or can you jump on a 600 restricted at a certain age?

• Advertisement

Peter03 wrote: »
    Do you have to have experience on a small bike or can you jump on a 600 restricted at a certain age?

As long as you can get insured on it and it's less than 35kw of power, restricted or naturally, you are OK to ride it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why would you want to get a 600 and restrict it? Get something within the limits and gain your experience on that. The insurance will most likely be cheaper along with the initial cost. It is like buying an Audi R8 and putting an A3 engine in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why would you want to get a 600 and restrict it? Get something within the limits and gain your experience on that. The insurance will most likely be cheaper along with the initial cost. It is like buying an Audi R8 and putting an A3 engine in it.

I had my Blackbird and my GSX1400 restricted :o In fact, I was only on the road about 5 months and still on a LP when I got the 1400. To me, it was like having an R8 and just simply sticking to the speed limits. I still got to own the bikes I wanted to own albeit they didn't perform like they were intended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Why would you want to get a 600 and restrict it

Because they want to.

There is no correlation between power of the bike and crashes, you enter a corner too fast on a moped which can only do 45km/h, yet the EU still insists on restricting bikes based on zero proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

As long as you can get insured on it and it's less than 35kw of power, restricted or naturally, you are OK to ride it.

Only if the bike being restricted makes less than 70kw unrestricted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Del2005 wrote: »
    There is no correlation between power of the bike and crashes, you enter a corner too fast on a moped which can only do 45km/h, yet the EU still insists on restricting bikes based on zero proof.

That is a whole different argument*, the restriction is there so we have to deal with it. OP, if I was you I would live with a cheaper low powered bike for the moment and then use the extra cash to get something really good when the law lets you.

*I had to live with the old 125 restriction before the 'more sensible' regulations came out. This was back when the waiting list for tests was 16 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I started of on a 125 and now I drive a 600 hornet restricted to 25kw.i would still advise to get a bigger bike and restrict as a 125 will most likely get u killed quick (speaking from experience). Simply put there is no power to go on motorway and everyone will be overtaking u (HGV included) creating a hazard for u. Some will even push you of the road or expect u to see them in mirror and move. I has more near misses on 125 in a day then on a resteicted 600 ever (no joke).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

szatan84 wrote: »
    I started of on a 125 and now I drive a 600 hornet restricted to 25kw.i would still advise to get a bigger bike and restrict as a 125 will most likely get u killed quick (speaking from experience). Simply put there is no power to go on motorway and everyone will be overtaking u (HGV included) creating a hazard for u. Some will even push you of the road or expect u to see them in mirror and move. I has more near misses on 125 in a day then on a resteicted 600 ever (no joke).

A learner driver shouldn't really be on a motorway in the first place!

I wouldn't recomend a 125 either but there are plenty of bikes below the limit. My knowledge is slightly out of date on this but my old ER500 was allowed as was a Goldwing.
    I would even say to restrict a bike slightly above the threshold is fine but to restrict an R1 or Hayabusa to 25KW is criminal;)

Anyway as Del says he can do whatever he likes. That is just my 2 cent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

infacteh wrote: »
    A learner driver shouldn't really be on a motorway in the first place!

I had (edit: and still have) a full license and still drove a 125, its not illegal. My point was he will get a full license fairly quick and might not make it to change bike yet. If he went on motoway then he'd get himself killed or be put of biking totally.

Advertisement