Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surface Pro 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I was on the preview for a while, but ended going back to 8.1. Just felt like it performed better. Not sure I like windows 10 that much vs 8.1

Well it's a preview version, so yeah it wouldn't perform as well as a released OS ;) Much, much better since around Build 10159 or so though. I definitely prefer it to 8.1 at this point, especially for being able to run Universal apps in actual windows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I'm having problems with my touchscreen. It's unresponsive in places. Nothing happens when I touch parts of it.

Has anyone else experiences any problems like this?

A few months ago I found a very small crack in the glass in the top right corner. It's not even part of the screen and hasn't affected the top right corner.

The problem is more in the middle of the screen.

I've callibrated a few times and refreshed.

What else could I do?

Could Microsoft do anything? I have a one-year warranty.

EDIT: I've done a basic test and there is a patch all the way across the middle of the screen which is unresponsive. It's about an inch strip across.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

I'm having problems with my touchscreen. It's unresponsive in places. Nothing happens when I touch parts of it.

Has anyone else experiences any problems like this?

A few months ago I found a very small crack in the glass in the top right corner. It's not even part of the screen and hasn't affected the top right corner.

The problem is more in the middle of the screen.

I've callibrated a few times and refreshed.

What else could I do?

Could Microsoft do anything? I have a one-year warranty.

EDIT: I've done a basic test and there is a patch all the way across the middle of the screen which is unresponsive. It's about an inch strip across.

I've heard their after-sales service is excellent so I would contact them as soon as possible.

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    I've heard their after-sales service is excellent so I would contact them as soon as possible.

P.

€300 to replace the whole unit. Weighing up my options here. That's a hefty amount. Can I do without the touchscreen in that area?

That's a question only you can answer - certainly you can use the SP3 perfectly well without the touchscreen if you have the Type Cover, so it's up to you whether the touchscreen (and stylus) is an essential part of having the device for you.

• Advertisement

MJohnston wrote: »
    That's a question only you can answer - certainly you can use the SP3 perfectly well without the touchscreen if you have the Type Cover, so it's up to you whether the touchscreen (and stylus) is an essential part of having the device for you.

I think I'll wait a while to see if the problem area increases. If so, I may fork out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Anyone who upgraded to windows 10 noticed their battery life go to ****?

I'm getting 3.5 hrs. max ��

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

If you look in the Battery Saver section of Settings, you can see a list of what has been using the battery. That might give you an indication of what the problem is.

I haven't noticed anything obviously wrong on my laptop, but it's only been a day!

System is using up 50% of the battery, screen is 45% and apps are 5%.

I also noticed its been getting a lot hotter since update, fan kicking on while idling.

When I look at processes while idling. Anti malware executable and system, service host: local system are the main culprits driving my cpu up to 50/75% utilization without actually having any apps open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

System is using up 50% of the battery, screen is 45% and apps are 5%.

I also noticed its been getting a lot hotter since update, fan kicking on while idling.

When I look at processes while idling. Anti malware executable and system, service host: local system are the main culprits driving my cpu up to 50/75% utilization without actually having any apps open.

Noticed very similar behaviour on my Asus vivotab. Never had heat issues before, but it was very hot to the touch all day yesterday. (No fan in my model.)

• Advertisement

I've plugged it in today and just let it sit.

The processes seemed to have calmed down now, but the fan is still running.

Downloaded Surface Pro 3 recovery image, going to flash it back to original till they get the performance/battery life sorted.

Device is useless to me with 3.5 hrs battery life.

The antimalware executable process killing battery life is nothing new to Windows 10 unfortunately: http://superuser.com/questions/759152/windows-8-1-update-1-disk-usage-100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Honestly nope. My SP3 (i5) seems to be running all nice and smoothly and no battery issues. Its not been plugged in since 9am and its sitting here with 6hours left.

Went back to 8.1 clean install. Then did an upgrade to 10

All fine now. No overheating or high CPU/memory usage. Battery life ok too.

356939.png

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

anyone know if i need a special adapter for traveling with my surface to japan? Read a couple of things online where people said laptops need a special adapter but i got my surface in the states and works fine here with a regular adapter. Just wondering if the same applies worldwide? Any type of special earthed plug required?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Check to see what the input voltage is on your adapter, should be something like input: 110-220V. If you're only seeing the 220V part then it won't work but, since you bought it in the states, I'm guessing it's good to go.

They also use the same two prong plug as the states over there.

I fear that my Surface is done. It won't turn on. I've tried all of the standard two button shutdowns and so on. There is power in it. I connected a USB to it and a little power came from it before disappearing again.

It hasn't worked since Thursday night. I had Chrome open and then pressed the sleep button and put it on charge. One hour later, it wouldn't work.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any help?

I don't want to have to ring Microsoft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Have you an alternative charger with which you can test in case it's something wrong with the existing charger? If it is a fault with the existing charger and you do have a spare you might need to let it charge for a while before attempting to power it back on again.

The other item which might be worth looking at is the power jack and whether there's any visible signs of damage or noticeable looseness in the connection as this may be indicative of a bad connection.

Is it still under warranty?

I was talking to my girlfriend there and she asked had I blown into the charging port. I laughed it off but tried anyway and here I am now, using my Surface Pro 3 again.

I've no idea what happened to it. I fear that if I put it to sleep, the problem will happen again though. I'm going to make sure that I avoid putting it to sleep.

Should I do another system reset? I think I've done three before now. They take a while and would like to avoid having to set everything up again.

Also, the time and date is Thursday at 4:52.

I was talking to my girlfriend there and she asked had I blown into the charging port. I laughed it off but tried anyway and here I am now, using my Surface Pro 3 again.

I've no idea what happened to it. I fear that if I put it to sleep, the problem will happen again though. I'm going to make sure that I avoid putting it to sleep.

Should I do another system reset? I think I've done three before now. They take a while and would like to avoid having to set everything up again.

Surface doesn't exactly sleep sometimes when you put it into sleep. That connected standby thing has left me with an empty battery a few times.

It might have been some fluffy bunnies covering a few connectors. I'd have to clean the keyboard connecting pins time to time as they get dirty and connection to the keyboard goes all over the place.

Not exactly sure factory reset solve it. Why don't you send it into Microsoft. I had problems with my keyboard. Sent it to them. They replaced it no problem.

They had a new one back to me within 7 days. Getting ups to deliver it to me was a different story though :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Just an interesting story: My surface pro 3 ended up in our swimming pool for 10 minutes before it was fished out. I drained it and put it into a plastic bag with rice for a month. Unbelievably, the device turns on (only with the charger connected), the battery shows up as not installed. The screen looks a bit of a mess but it works perfectly on a TV using a display port to hdmi cable (can't get the scaling right though), so I'm just using it as a media centre now.

Just an interesting story: My surface pro 3 ended up in our swimming pool for 10 minutes before it was fished out. I drained it and put it into a plastic bag with rice for a month. Unbelievably, the device turns on (only with the charger connected), the battery shows up as not installed. The screen looks a bit of a mess but it works perfectly on a TV using a display port to hdmi cable (can't get the scaling right though), so I'm just using it as a media centre now.

Oh dear. I'd cry if that happened :(
    But atleast you can still use it to a certain degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭Johnny Derpp

You could get use a miracast adaptor as a last resort to save you buying a new one.

I was in the middle of writing another message when my Surface switched off again. That was three weeks ago. I am now posting off of my 'as good as' new Surface Pro 3. I had to post my one away and pay over €300 for a replacement because of the cracked screen.

I've been using my girlfriend's laptop for the past three weeks. I'm glad to have the Surface back. It's so small and quick. I'll never let anything happen to it again :P.

The only fault I have is, it is on Windows 10 though and I haven't a clue how to navigate it.

I was in the middle of writing another message when my Surface switched off again. That was three weeks ago. I am now posting off of my 'as good as' new Surface Pro 3. I had to post my one away and pay over €300 for a replacement because of the cracked screen.

I've been using my girlfriend's laptop for the past three weeks. I'm glad to have the Surface back. It's so small and quick. I'll never let anything happen to it again :P.

The only fault I have is, it is on Windows 10 though and I haven't a clue how to navigate it.

Did you send it back to Microsoft or what?

How can you not navigate windows 10? Its like Windows 7, just better.
    How did you manage windows 8? :D

Did you send it back to Microsoft or what?

How can you not navigate windows 10? Its like Windows 7, just better.
    How did you manage windows 8? :D

I sent it back to Microsoft.

I never used Windows 7. I'm getting the hang of this. It's better than 8 anyway.

I sent it back to Microsoft.

I never used Windows 7. I'm getting the hang of this. It's better than 8 anyway.

Did they just replace the whole unit?

I sent my type keyboard back a few months back, magnets got awful weak, connection issues and just general wear & tear falling apart.

They were nice to send back a brand new cover back.

Did they just replace the whole unit?

I sent my type keyboard back a few months back, magnets got awful weak, connection issues and just general wear & tear falling apart.

They were nice to send back a brand new cover back.

They replaced the whole thing. If I got this in a Surface Pro 3 box with all the packaging, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was new or used.

They were willing to replace it because of the start-up issues, but the cracked screen meant I had to pay.

Always remember to buy the extended warranty.

They replaced the whole thing. If I got this in a Surface Pro 3 box with all the packaging, I wouldn't be able to tell if it was new or used.

They were willing to replace it because of the start-up issues, but the cracked screen meant I had to pay.

Always remember to buy the extended warranty.

Extended warranty or insurance from clumsiness :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭cintec

does anyone know where to find AAAA batteries for the surface pen

Advertisement