Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any Spicy Lobster recipes?

Options
  • 20-05-2014 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭

I am a bit bored of plain boiled lobster, looking for a nice spicy sauce/curry dish that I can use for Lobster?
    I know Singapore chilli crab recipes but nothing specifically for Lobsters or Crayfish any ideas please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

boil it until 75% cooked and then fry in butter for a couple of minutes is the best imho, i could never get bored of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I am a bit bored of plain boiled lobster

Now THAT'S a first world problem :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Yah, Its good but I just need some spice man!
    Anyway just made up some Chilli Crab, nice stuff
    I have two lobsters and a load of crab claws to eat over the next day or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

jealous.com

Honestly, Its the second time since sunday that I have eaten crab and lobster.
    Made Thai crab/lobster cakes on Sunday and looks like the Singapore Chilli Crab will work with Lobster as well.
    I'd really rather have some Haddock or Hake TBH but I am grateful for what I get.
    The recipe I followed for Crab is easy and very tasty.
    Can't find Belachan? I used Nam Pla.
    If anyones interested..
    http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipes/singapore-chilli-crab

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Peter Kuruvita: Crab Lobster curry

This recipe is a favourite of mine. I first cooked after I bought Peter's book. It calls for drumstick leaves but can be made without.

The original recipe calls for 2 green mud crabs (about 1.25kg each), but I found prepared frozen blue swimmer crabs that are perfect for this.
    400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
    1 piece goroka
    1 cinnamon quill
    1 tbsp chilli powder
    2 tsp cumin seeds, dry-roasted and ground
    1 tsp fenugreek seeds
    ¼ tsp ground turmeric
    50 gm ghee
    3 small onions, finely chopped
    10 gm (2cm) piece ginger, finely chopped
    10 fresh curry leaves
    1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
    3 small green chillies, finely chopped
    5 cm piece pandanus leaf
    ¼ tsp dill seeds
    1 cup (loosely packed) coriander leaves
    ½ a lime, juice only

Place crabs in freezer for 1 hour to immobilise them, then kill each crab humanely by inserting a knife into the centre of the head and splitting through the middle. Pull off top shells, pull out the spongy grey gills and remove guts. Chop each crab into 6 pieces, then crack the large claws but leave attached.

Combine crab in a bowl with coconut milk, goroka, cinnamon, chilli powder, cumin, fenugreek and turmeric, stand for 20 minutes.

Heat ghee in a wide saucepan over high heat, add onion, ginger, curry leaves, lemongrass, chillies and pandanus, cook until onion is golden (5 minutes). Add dill seeds, cook another 2 minutes, add crab mixture. Cover and simmer until crab is just cooked through and sauce has thickened (12 minutes). Pick out crab meat (or use whole crab pieces) then return picked meat to sauce. Add coriander and lime juice, season to taste with salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What is 'goroka'? Google tells me it's the "capital of the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea" which isn't a lot of help :)

Something to do with mangosteens. Goroka or kokum is a souring agent, similar in flavour to tamarind.

http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Top-Op-Black-Mango-Steen-Kokum.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ah, I'd heard of Black Mango Steen, never heard it called Goroka before though.

Minder wrote: »
    Peter Kuruvita: Crab Lobster curry

This recipe is a favourite of mine. I first cooked after I bought Peter's book. It calls for drumstick leaves but can be made without.

The original recipe calls for 2 green mud crabs (about 1.25kg each), but I found prepared frozen blue swimmer crabs that are perfect for this.
    400 ml coconut milk (1 can)
    1 piece goroka
    1 cinnamon quill
    1 tbsp chilli powder
    2 tsp cumin seeds, dry-roasted and ground
    1 tsp fenugreek seeds
    ¼ tsp ground turmeric
    50 gm ghee
    3 small onions, finely chopped
    10 gm (2cm) piece ginger, finely chopped
    10 fresh curry leaves
    1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
    3 small green chillies, finely chopped
    5 cm piece pandanus leaf
    ¼ tsp dill seeds
    1 cup (loosely packed) coriander leaves
    ½ a lime, juice only

Place crabs in freezer for 1 hour to immobilise them, then kill each crab humanely by inserting a knife into the centre of the head and splitting through the middle. Pull off top shells, pull out the spongy grey gills and remove guts. Chop each crab into 6 pieces, then crack the large claws but leave attached.

Combine crab in a bowl with coconut milk, goroka, cinnamon, chilli powder, cumin, fenugreek and turmeric, stand for 20 minutes.

Heat ghee in a wide saucepan over high heat, add onion, ginger, curry leaves, lemongrass, chillies and pandanus, cook until onion is golden (5 minutes). Add dill seeds, cook another 2 minutes, add crab mixture. Cover and simmer until crab is just cooked through and sauce has thickened (12 minutes). Pick out crab meat (or use whole crab pieces) then return picked meat to sauce. Add coriander and lime juice, season to taste with salt.

looks great i guess sri lankan/indonesian? i have some pandanus leaf in the freezer :)
    i will try this with fresh prawn soon!

• Advertisement

I'll have to give that a go next time!
    Ended up making Singapore Chilli Crab out of expediency and lack of Pandan leaves etc.
    Where do you get those here?
    I've been dying for some Nasi Lemak and can't get the Pandan leaves here anywhere?

OK, Got some more Crab and Lobster yesterday, Going to give this a whirl today.
    Lacking Pandan and Curry leaves but I have everything else, his online recipe calls for Tamarind instead of Goroka so I am good to go!
    Watch this space..:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

OK, Got some more Crab and Lobster yesterday, Going to give this a whirl today.

Do you live in a pineapple under the sea or something? :pac:

looks great i guess sri lankan/indonesian? i have some pandanus leaf in the freezer :)
    i will try this with fresh prawn soon!

Sri Lankan. From Peter Kuruvita's book, Serendipity

Minder wrote: »
    Sri Lankan. From Peter Kuruvita's book, Serendipity

lol i have that book but haven't looked at it in ages :) i bought the pandan leaves with a view to trying some soon, that was ages ago now. its really beautiful book so nicely presented.

asia market in drury street if anyone is looking for pandan leaves

vibe666 wrote: »
    Do you live in a pineapple under the sea or something? :pac:
    Huh ,A pineapple?
    Just lucky, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Huh ,A pineapple?
    Just lucky, I guess.
    SpongeBob Squarepants! :)

I was just wondering how you seem to have so much lobster?

I'm assuming it's fresh and you're not just stocking up from aldi on the frozen ones? :D

vibe666 wrote: »
    SpongeBob Squarepants! :)

I was just wondering how you seem to have so much lobster?

I'm assuming it's fresh and you're not just stocking up from aldi on the frozen ones? :D
    I could never see the point of eating canadian lobster that has been kept in cages for months. Flavourless and dry is how I'd describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

Lobster with Thai red curry is delicious!! You can get all the ingredients to make red curry paste in the Asian market....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I'll have to give that a go next time!
    Ended up making Singapore Chilli Crab out of expediency and lack of Pandan leaves etc.
    Where do you get those here?
    I've been dying for some Nasi Lemak and can't get the Pandan leaves here anywhere?

Any well-stocked asian grocer. Sold in a dozen or so. They freeze well.

• Advertisement

Right, made this today with a big pot of Claws.
    from Curry by (Dorling Kindersley)

3tbsp Veg oil
    200g Shallots finely chopped (use a processor)
    10 curry leaves
    3 cloves garlic fine chopped
    2.5cm Ginger finely sliced
    1/2tsp chilli powder
    1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric
    1 raw crab cleaned and quartered (I used raw claws and cracked them)
    300ml coconut milk (I used a whole can and a good shake of Santan powdered coconut)
    2 tomato quartered
    1 tsp lemon juice
    1/2 tsp black pepper

Fry shallots in oil over medium heat until soft (5 mins)
    add curry leaves,ginger and garlic and fry for additional 5 mins

Add chilli powder and turmeric and 250ml water and slowly bring to the boil stirring occasionally.
    Add crab and simmer for 10 mins or until cooked.
    stir in Coconut milk and tomatoes and heat for 2-3 mins.
    add salt to taste and remove from heat and cover and set aside for a few mins, then add lemon juice and black pepper and serve.

i bet that was damn nice :pac:

Yes, it was lovely.
    Mild enough but the chilli adds a little kick.
    I recommend it as an easy to make curry that suits all seafood.
    If I was making it again, I'd probably cook the crab first enough to shell it then stick it in the curry to finish.
    Then again I am sure the shell adds a lot of flavour to the dish.
    Next up will be the recipe for Chilli crab in the same book.
    I will report back..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I haven't followed a thread in a very long time but this thread is being followed!

Swampy wrote: »
    I haven't followed a thread in a very long time but this thread is being followed!
    It will be a while before I do some more, France is beckoning for the next few weeks.
    I'd love to see others recipes and Pics

Advertisement