Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Veloflex Corsa Tyres

• 20-05-2014 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭

I recently changed my butyl tubes to latex and find my Michelin Pro4s are rolling a lot better.
    Someone here (Idleater) recommended switching to veloflex tyres to improve the ride still further.
    I know they're supposed to be like tubulars and are not very hard wearing.
    Just wondering what they're like for grip (especially in the wet)
    I've used Vittoria Open Corsas before which is an almost identical tyre.
    Superfast in the dry but did not like them on a wet road at all.
    Thinking of trying a pair of 25mm veloflex corsas.

CPL 593H

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Yes latex tubes make a huge difference for me as well. Especially on Irish roads as they're so rough and bumpy. The Corsas are my racing tire of choice and with a latex tube I side are savage. I found them very grippy but haven't used them in the wet. Usually use the GP4000s. TheCorsas wear quote well for a racing tire I find.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Never had a problem with the corsa in the wet but I haven't tried the veloflex YET but would consider them a racing tyre.Too expensive when buying new to be hacking around on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I don't find them bad in the wet. The cheapest place I found them before was bike jedi €25 though I was ordering other stuff too that made the postage bearable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Slightly off topic just one quick query on latex tubes; are they suitable for racing only?

On long audax rides are you likely to lose pressure and increase risk of pinch flats?

I've no problem checking pressure before each ride but mid ride is a deal breaker....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Veloflex are amazing but I 'd say keep them as a racing tyre, they are too fragile for everyday.

They don't lose pressure that easily ford2600, unless you re doing a 3day audax with no pumps in sight then you 're fine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Veloflex are amazing but I 'd say keep them as a racing tyre, they are too fragile for everyday.

They don't lose pressure that easily ford2600, unless you re doing a 3day audax with no pumps in sight then you 're fine.

I will be doing a 4 day but will have access to a track pump each day so might give them a go. Will try beforehand

MB200 will be first latex spin so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Not sure whether to go for 23s or 25s?
    Is the sizing accurate on them? (ie a 23mm isn't 21mm or 22mm in reality)

CPL 593H

23mm is in reallity closer to 22, go for 25s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

23mm is in reallity closer to 22, go for 25s.

I run the 25 on 21mm wide rims. Oh and tan sidewalls rule!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Take some care when installing the latex tubes, they pinch very easy and will blow out if the tube is caught under the tire and frighten the sh1te out of you while you pump.

Definitely put some air in the tube to give it some shape so there is less change of it getting stuck under the tyre bead, I saw a utube video of some guy using talcum powder to on the tube so that its less sticky(for lack of a better word) and harder to pinch.

Anybody know what the life time of a latex tube is? I've had one in my front wheel for 2 years and wondering should I maybe change it now as it is probably after drying out a bit over that time as latex can do that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Briando wrote: »

Anybody know what the life time of a latex tube is? I've had one in my front wheel for 2 years and wondering should I maybe change it now as it is probably after drying out a bit over that time as latex can do that.

Ride them till they either explode when pumping to 120 or till they are not holding pressure for any amount if time.

Fitted two 25mm Veloflex Corsas earlier.
    They are SO tight, first one took me about 20 mins, second one about 7 mins but jeez they are the most awkward tyre I've ever fitted.
    Left me with sore fingers and one pinch flat (impossible to fit without using tyre levers)
    Hope they are worth it, should get out for a test spin tomorrow although the forecast isn't good.
    If I get a puncture I'm just going to stand on the hard shoulder holding the wheel in the air and wait for a lost Giro support vehicle, will be quicker than trying to replace the tube myself! :pac:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

Apologies for digging up an old thread but i was just wondering, how are you getting on with the Veloflex corsa tyres?

I am looking for a new set of tyres and cant decide between Veloflex Corsa, GP4000sII or Michelin Pro 4's. I will be using them for a mix of training, sportives and club league races

Any feedback/advice on the above would be greatly appreciated. :)

I assume you are looking for the clinchers one right? They are great, but not for training, they wear out too fast and they are a bit too fragile. On the other hand the tubs are super strong for such a great tyre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

I assume you are looking for the clinchers one right? They are great, but not for training, they wear out too fast and they are a bit too fragile. On the other hand the tubs are super strong for such a great tyre.
    Thanks for the reply.
    Ya clinchers for me.

What do you think would be best for me so - GP4000sII or are there any other tyres that would suit?
    Need them to be relatively fast (for the racing) yet still somewhat durable (for training + sportives)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Can't go wrong GP4000s for the best of both worlds.

I find them (veloflex) good but they do seem to wear out quite fast.
    The Michelin Pro4 is a great tyre and I'll probably go back to them because they do last longer, roll just as well and I feel slightly more confident on them in the wet.
    Whatever tyre you go with, latex tubes are a must, having changed to them I wouldn't consider going back to butyl.

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Veloflex are basically Vittoria, from what I can gather.

When Vittoria decided to take their production from Italy to "somewhere else", one Director resigned and started Veloflex, hand made in Italy, rather than Thailand.

Happily, open to correction, as i was "told" this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

I have both Vittoria corsa cx tires and veloflex masters. I find that they are comparable in the dry but that the grip level of the veloflex's is much better in the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Any recommendation for a brand of latex tube? Planning to try them, given the enthusiasm for them here. Running GP4000s 25mm.

• Advertisement
Advertisement