Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Power. Dublin & Belfast July 2014

Options
  • 20-05-2014 8:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

Chan Marshall AKA Cat Power is playing 2 rare Irish show in Dublin and Belfast in July!!
    Belfast July 15th in Empire music hall
    Dublin. Olympia July 16th

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

Just bought my ticket!!!!
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention!!!!!!
    **** I'm excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Think Cat Power in Whelans years ago qualifies as the worst gig I've ever attended, if you suffer from stage fright, don't do gigs!

Seems like, sadly, not enough has changed in the meantime to make me risk going back.

This review seems to give her way too much credit

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/may/19/cat-power-review-chan-marshall-solo-brighton

Buyer beware!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭PadraigOK

I'm caught somewhere between the two immediate posts above.

Look her up at Glastonbury, Metal Heart in particular.
    "This is an old song from when I was a young girl".

Swoooooooooooooon.

Have that set downloaded and thought it was so-so. Have never saw her live, but I'm well aware of her crippling stage fright, kinda catch 22. Will likely still go and see her and...curse myself for doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I've never seen her before but going along to the Olympia. I don't think she has that problem any more, being cripplingly vulnerable is part of her charm so as long as she faces the audience I'll be happy.

Anyone know who's supporting tomorrow (Dublin)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

lolo62 wrote: »
    Anyone know who's supporting tomorrow (Dublin)?

Dog Strength

What time do you reckon she'll take the stage at? I'll be leaving for the gig after work so I'm hoping I won't miss too much by arriving at 9. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

What time do you reckon she'll take the stage at? I'll be leaving for the gig after work so I'm hoping I won't miss too much by arriving at 9. :(

Headliners in the olympia usually go on stage around 9pm so you will nearly certainly be there for the start.

• Advertisement

Perfect. Fingers crossed anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Birneybau wrote: »
    Dog Strength

Olympia website says Slow Skies are supporting, on stage approx 8pm and she'll be on stage at approx 9pm, times subject to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

The times are on the Olympia website, they usually post the times of the gigs on the day, they did the same for Hall and Oates yesterday.

http://www.olympia.ie/whats-on/cat-power/

"Approximate times as follows: doors open 7pm/7.15pm, support from Slow Skies around 8pm, with Cat Power taking to the stage about 9pm. Please note, times are subject to change as always".

(Edit: I didn't see the post above by pm1977x, before I sent this message)

I guess you got to see her whole set, she played from 9.10pm and ended by handing out flowers to the crowd and left the stage at 11.40pm.

I saw her whole set, it was magical. Glad I didn't bother with support as I think it might have been too much before 2 1/2 hours of Chan. She's a proper hard working musician..they don't make'em like they used to!
    Great gig :)

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

she played from 9.10pm and ended by handing out flowers to the crowd and left the stage at 11.40pm.

She took the stage at 9.15, IIRC. I left at 10, following the single worst performance I've ever seen. She was a shambles. I'm amazed she managed to pull it together to play for 2 1/2 hours.

In the 45 minutes I was there she barely finished a song, muttered thanks into the open air several times, wasted time moving monitors around because they were "blocking audiences view" (never mind the fact she moved them in the way of other people) and tooled around incessantly with her mikes and amps - has she ever heard of a soundcheck?

She looked lost and in need of help. Certainly in need of a band to keep some sort of flow going.
    Her reputation is well-founded.

Conflicting reports. I initially cursed myself for not going to the Belfast show but on second thoughts...

I forgot about the 2 minutes wasted while she tried to pronounce "slàinte". That was just before she cocked-up a song and had to start over. Because the stage was "too cold and sparkly" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Crazyhorse79

I was at the gig last night. I agree her behaviour was quite erratic and obsessive when it came to the sound and other random distractions.. but man when she sang and settled down a bit, unbelievable! So pure and captivating.

Squelchy wrote: »
    She took the stage at 9.15, IIRC. I left at 10, following the single worst performance I've ever seen. She was a shambles. I'm amazed she managed to pull it together to play for 2 1/2 hours.

In the 45 minutes I was there she barely finished a song, muttered thanks into the open air several times, wasted time moving monitors around because they were "blocking audiences view" (never mind the fact she moved them in the way of other people) and tooled around incessantly with her mikes and amps - has she ever heard of a soundcheck?

She looked lost and in need of help. Certainly in need of a band to keep some sort of flow going.
    Her reputation is well-founded.

Well as they say, you can't win them all. That's the way she is, everyone knows. If that's not your buzz you probably shouldn't have gone. Most people there had a very different experience to you, judging by the standing ovation anyway.

• Advertisement

I thought the audience were very forgiving of her. Too forgiving, frankly. €30 is not a cheap ticket. Especially for such a shambolic performance.

I thought the audience were very forgiving of her. Too forgiving, frankly. €30 is not a cheap ticket. Especially for such a shambolic performance.

I can understand why you're annoyed but most cat power fans know and like that about her, myself included. I actually enjoyed the lack of structure etc, I don't appreciate polish when it comes to music like hers. She gave it everything, can't ask for more than that from a performer.

can't ask for more than that from a performer.

I think you oughta set your standards a little higher than last night though, really.

I think you oughta set your standards a little higher than last night though, really.

I was there to hear her sing, her singing was spectacular.I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one!

PadraigOK wrote: »
    Conflicting reports. I initially cursed myself for not going to the Belfast show but on second thoughts...

Whilst there was quite a bit of tricking around with the microphones and altering the amplifiers and monitors, when she sang the songs, it was very, very enjoyable, even though she seemed to cut a song or two short.

At one point about 45 minutes into the set, she played for about 40 minutes on piano and it was very enjoyable.

there was a nice bluesy twang of some of her guitar playing also, I thought!

I liked the bit where when she ended the song, she noted that people in the front row on the left hand side couldn't see her play and she lifted the monitor herself along with Gerry the sound man. I thought it showed a nice consideration to the audience.

I was at Neil Finn and for the first few songs he sang and played piano on the extreme left of the stage, I was also seated on the extreme left and couldn't see him at all, and I got out and sat further back, where luckily for me there was an empty seat so I could actually see him play!:)

(Nothing against Neil, there was a lot of musicians and instruments on stage and space was probably tight, but initially I couldn't see him at all, He played a great gig, on at 9pm till 11.55pm!:))

I think it may be just down a nervousness or anxiousness about playing live, that she spoke quite openly, and often apologetically, to the audience during the gig between songs, about what she was thinking of the stage setting, the venue, and the sound and reverb she was hearing on the monitors?

She played and sang great, I thought. I was well happy I attended it.

I caught the whole set. It was AMAZING. I was sat beside a ten year old girl, luckiest ten year old in the world.
    Her set was perfect.

She is definitely a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Have seen her three times and that was by far the best in terms of her awkwardness, inability to finish songs and general discomfort with playing live. If your a fan you know it's on the cards and a trade off for hearing her live, as for getting your money's worth I've been to plenty of gigs at the Olympia and never seen anyone play 2.5 hours, even allowing for the odd failed attempt here and there it was value for money for me particularly as she drew from all over her back catalogue. Her voice sounded amazing last night and kudos to Gerry the unfortunate sound engineer and the Olympia for allowing her keep going well past curfew, although the security staff looked well pissed off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CSJx2

First off I'm a Cat Power fan but last night was a bit of a shambles. I know her gigs can be erratic but it was just a bit much for me at least. I'm assuming she did no soundcheck, she was totally thrown by the venue's sound and the amp. What was most frustrating when she did have momentum it was good, her voice is killer but abruptly stopping songs and seem under rehearsed killed it for me. A lot of people did leave, also she did seem to lose a bit of goodwill from the crowd early on.

I went there half expecting it to be a total disaster and was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly it went. Sure, there were a few interruptions and her behaviour was erratic at times (which makes me worry for her, though she still seemed *mostly* sane and had some good banter with the audience) but given her reputation I don't think that should come as any big shock. What did surprise me was how fantastic her voice was live; I thought it might have been a little tired sounding after all her time touring/drinking but she sounded amazing! "The Moon", "Maybe Not" and her cover of "What the World Needs Now Is Love" were my favourites, also was really happy she played "Hate".

Only slight disappointment for me was "Metal Heart"; I was hoping for the Moon Pix version, which is one of my favourite songs of all time. I also hoped that she'd do her version of "The Auld Triangle". I'm guessing it's one of those ones that she's forgotten how to play? :pac: Overall though I definitely can't complain. I even caught one of the flowers she threw to the crowd. :D (It's currently sitting in a jar of rainwater, though the petals have already withered a little; I'm now turning to Google to try to find out some way of drying or preserving it.)

Anyone who left that show early definitely lost out big time. I just hope her health will be ok and that she'll be back to tour again soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CSJx2

Well as they say, you can't win them all. That's the way she is, everyone knows. If that's not your buzz you probably shouldn't have gone. Most people there had a very different experience to you, judging by the standing ovation anyway.

The gig was an not over riding success, for me at least. Also I reckon squelchy is a Cat Power fan and he is well entitled to go to the gig and experience whatever be it negative or positive. People left and people loved it.

Advertisement