Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Power. Dublin & Belfast July 2014

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭lolo62

I went there half expecting it to be a total disaster and was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly it went. Sure, there were a few interruptions and her behaviour was erratic at times (which makes me worry for her, though she still seemed *mostly* sane and had some good banter with the audience) but given her reputation I don't think that should come as any big shock. What did surprise me was how fantastic her voice was live; I thought it might have been a little tired sounding after all her time touring/drinking but she sounded amazing! "The Moon", "Maybe Not" and her cover of "What the World Needs Now Is Love" were my favourites, also was really happy she played "Hate".

Only slight disappointment for me was "Metal Heart"; I was hoping for the Moon Pix version, which is one of my favourite songs of all time. I also hoped that she'd do her version of "The Auld Triangle". I'm guessing it's one of those ones that she's forgotten how to play? :pac: Overall though I definitely can't complain. I even caught one of the flowers she threw to the crowd. :D (It's currently sitting in a jar of rainwater, though the petals have already withered a little; I'm now turning to Google to try to find out some way of drying or preserving it.)

Anyone who left that show early definitely lost out big time. I just hope her health will be ok and that she'll be back to tour again soon.

Lucky you! I was too high up to catch one :( stick it in the middle of a big book!

CSJx2 wrote: »
    The gig was an not over riding success, for me at least. Also I reckon squelchy is a Cat Power fan and he is well entitled to go to the gig and experience whatever be it negative or positive. People left and people loved it.

Great. Not sure what that has to do with me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CSJx2

lolo62 wrote: »
    Great. Not sure what that has to do with me though.

Telling the other poster they shouldn't be there if it wasn't there buzz, and what they should expect, that's all.

CSJx2 wrote: »
    Telling the other poster they shouldn't be there if it wasn't there buzz, and what they should expect, that's all.

youve got your wires crossed there..taking it out of context but since i wasnt speaking to you im not going to explain myself as its none of your bees wax. cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 CSJx2

lolo62 wrote: »
    youve got your wires crossed there..taking it out of context but since i wasnt speaking to you im not going to explain myself as its none of your bees wax. cheers

Sorry if that's case, love and communication, bye bye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

I enjoyed the show. Anyone who knows anything about Chan Marshall has to be aware that when you see her live that it is not going to be a totally polished performance. A lot of the folk who left would have had to catch buses and trains as not everyone is lucky enough to live in the city centre. That was my first olympia concert that ended after 11pm.

Slainte!!

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Squelchy

seemed to cut a song or two short.
    I don't think she finished a single song in the time i could tolerate her antics. That was about 7 or 8 songs.
    I liked the bit where when she ended the song, she noted that people in the front row on the left hand side couldn't see her play and she lifted the monitor herself along with Gerry the sound man. I thought it showed a nice consideration to the audience.

I was in the second row, on the right hand side - when she moved the monitor on that side she almost blocked my view and completely blocked the view of the woman in front of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Here's an interesting review
    http://www.dublinconcerts.ie/cat-power-at-the-olympia-theatre-review-and-photos/

Glad I didn't go, I really like her music but just couldn't be putting up with spending €30 to see someone who isn't comfortable playing live and who regularly makes an mess of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Here's an interesting review
    http://www.dublinconcerts.ie/cat-power-at-the-olympia-theatre-review-and-photos/

Glad I didn't go, I really like her music but just couldn't be putting up with spending €30 to see someone who isn't comfortable playing live and who regularly makes an mess of it.

I wouldn't agree with that review, I think it makes it sound like she put on a terrible performance.

I thought she sang and played very well, even though one or two songs seemed to be cut short and there was a bit of tricking around with the microphones.

I enjoyed the section of the gig where she played for about 40 minutes on piano.

The running off the stage is being blown out of proportion, she went to the side of the stage a few times, to our right hand side where the sound desk was located, and not for very long, presumably to get something about the sound tweaked.

Some people left in the stalls, but that was at around 11.15-11.20pm coming up to 11.30, so I guess it was for last buses, rather than dissatisfaction with the gig. (She ended at 11.40pm)

A spot-on review. Not clouded by bias or sentiment.
    A band around her would benefit and uplift her melancholy, acoustic live songs.

Almost exactly what the friend I was with said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

Squelchy wrote: »
    A spot-on review. Not clouded by bias or sentiment.

Almost exactly what the friend I was with said.

I enjoyed the Cat Power gig the other night, the review wouldn't cause me to re-evaluate my impression of the gig.

I've been to numerous gigs that I really enjoyed, of which I later read very negative reviews, with which I disagreed.

An example being the Neil Young Crazy Hose gig in the RDS last year. To read some of the responses to those shows, you'd think the performance was awful, when in fact the band played great, and a lot of the bad reviews came from people who were not as familiar with his Crazy Horse recordings and wanted to hear his acoustic based songs.

Similarly in Malahide Castle in 2008, I thought Neil Young was excellent and really enjoyed the extended jamming, especially the 20 plus version of No Hidden Path, but the criticisms of those shows came from people who wanted him to play Harvest Moon, Heart of Gold type songs.

It happens with Bob Dylan gigs as well, people come out with different responses to the shows. I thought the gig in Thomond Park in 2010 was great, that he was in great form, he did three encores,

I then I met people the next day who didn't enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

I wouldn't agree with that review, I think it makes it sound like she put on a terrible performance.

I thought she sang and played very well, even though one or two songs seemed to be cut short and there was a bit of tricking around with the microphones.

I enjoyed the section of the gig where she played for about 40 minutes on piano.

The running off the stage is being blown out of proportion, she went to the side of the stage a few times, to our right hand side where the sound desk was located, and not for very long, presumably to get something about the sound tweaked.

Some people left in the stalls, but that was at around 11.15-11.20pm coming up to 11.30, so I guess it was for last buses, rather than dissatisfaction with the gig. (She ended at 11.40pm)

I was sitting far left at the front and can confirm she was off talking to the sound guy each time except when she went to sort her hair out, the reviewer also claims to be a fan yet says many songs were unrecognisable, I think there were maybe two songs it took me a while to recognise and she somewhat butchered Metal Heart but that was it. Also she mentions she played Cherokee and Ruin, neither of which I remember, can anyone confirm she played these or is this review just a load of hot air?

pm1977x wrote: »
    I was sitting far left at the front and can confirm she was off talking to the sound guy each time except when she went to sort her hair out, the reviewer also claims to be a fan yet says many songs were unrecognisable, I think there were maybe two songs it took me a while to recognise and she somewhat butchered Metal Heart but that was it. Also she mentions she played Cherokee and Ruin, neither of which I remember, can anyone confirm she played these or is this review just a load of hot air?

OK, I confess - I wrote the review! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Squelchy wrote: »
    OK, I confess - I wrote the review! :pac:

I knew it! :eek: ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 utnn

She definitely didn't play Ruin or Cherokee....the gig to me was amazing,I'm a massive fan & have everything she has released,it was brilliant to hear so much from her old records,I didn't go to hear a completely polished set but her voice was bliss

Advertisement