Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boss reneged on back pay.

Options
  • 20-05-2014 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hello,

So to cut a long story short. My salary review ran over by a couple of months recently, was supposed to be March.

My boss comes to me ans says reviews are ongoing and that as a bonus they would be backdated to January. I thought, great!

Then after two months (pay checks) nothing came through. It really began to frustrate my so I brought it up.

Then, two days later my boss returns with my review but tells me the salary review has gone through but back pay is only going back to April. The reasoning behind this is because I was given stock options in the company a few months back.

Now, when I was given the stock options I was categorically told that they were completely separate to the salary reviews.

It was after the stock options grant that I was told my both my bosses (3 times in total) that the salary review was being back paid to January.

Now i'm short about 1200 which was promised to me and left with options with a 1/3 per year vesting period. Meaning I can't exercise for 3 years and is a gamble as it depends on share price.

To put it lightly, I am unhappy about this and am having a hard time letting it go. This happened a week ago and I haven't let them know about my discontent yet.

What do others think of this? What should I do?

Many Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Did you get it in writing ??
    If not just accept it and move on, always get pay details in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

updown123 wrote: »
    Hello,

So to cut a long story short. My salary review ran over by a couple of months recently, was supposed to be March.

My boss comes to me ans says reviews are ongoing and that as a bonus they would be backdated to January. I thought, great!

Then after two months (pay checks) nothing came through. It really began to frustrate my so I brought it up.

Then, two days later my boss returns with my review but tells me the salary review has gone through but back pay is only going back to April. The reasoning behind this is because I was given stock options in the company a few months back.

Now, when I was given the stock options I was categorically told that they were completely separate to the salary reviews.

It was after the stock options grant that I was told my both my bosses (3 times in total) that the salary review was being back paid to January.

Now i'm short about 1200 which was promised to me and left with options with a 1/3 per year vesting period. Meaning I can't exercise for 3 years and is a gamble as it depends on share price.

To put it lightly, I am unhappy about this and am having a hard time letting it go. This happened a week ago and I haven't let them know about my discontent yet.

What do others think of this? What should I do?

Many Thanks

Unless your contract stipulates that pay increases are gauanteed every year, they are discretionary, that is why it is referred to as a "review". They could have given you nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

davo10 wrote: »
    Unless your contract stipulates that pay increases are gauanteed every year, they are discretionary, that is why it is referred to as a "review". They could have given you nothing.

while I agree 100% with this.
    I'd also say to you OP if you dont tell them you are unhappy they won't do anything about it

I'd arrange a meeting and lay out your case. Since you got a bonus they must think you are decent and might accomodate you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

while I agree 100% with this.
    I'd also say to you OP if you dont tell them you are unhappy they won't do anything about it

I'd arrange a meeting and lay out your case. Since you got a bonus they must think you are decent and might accomodate you.

I completely agree, I think I would find it hard to continue to work for someone who did this, but at the same time, not many are getting bonuses and fewer still are getting them backdated 5 months on top of shares.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 updown123

Thanks folks,

I didn't get the backdating in writing as it wasn't part of a negotiation or anything. Boss just came out with it one day (and twice after that >.<) and I though great!

I think I will have to bring it up and just say how unhappy I am and see what happens. I dont think I can just let it lie.
    davo10 wrote: »
    I completely agree, I think I would find it hard to continue to work for someone who did this, but at the same time, not many are getting bonuses and fewer still are getting them backdated 5 months on top of shares.

I agree, I used to love the company, my job and everything with it. All of a sudden I am beginning resent the whole place.

Now, before I get a barrage of negative replies. I'm not being greedy here, I understand a decent salary review, shares and backpay is a lot. I didn't go looking for it. These are things that were promised to me multiple times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement