Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Right to be Forgotten - Searching without a Search Engine

Options
  • 20-05-2014 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭

Last wk some Dude won a European Court of Justice Case, "against the right of internet companies to hold unlimited information on individuals when it ordered Google to remove links that are deemed inadequate, irrelevant or no longer relevant."

Sounds good in a way right? I thought it did anyway.

Since then though, their has been thousands of requests into Google to have Links removed containing Info about people...who's requesting these take-downs?

Well it appears it's mostly Criminals, Dodgy Doctors, Bad Businesses (reviews), Peados.

Not good.

It's only the links being removed, the source material remains.

How does one find that Material without a search engine??

independent.co.uk/news/world/eu-court-says-google-must-delete-irrelevant-data-at-the-request-of-ordinary-individuals-9360707.html

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2630624/Half-right-forgotten-requests-Google-come-CRIMINALS-include-actor-affair-teenager.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

A market opportunity is opening right now.... a search engine for "forgotten" information 8-)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There needs to be legislation around this. Much like yourself I thought it was initially a good thing until the paedo's started coming out of the woodwork. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

ITS a strange time for this law to come into effect,
    when theres, so many famous people in the uk being prosecuted for crimes in the 70,s , 80s.
    eg rolf harris.
    I wonder does this law effect yahoo.com , etc google is not the only search engine.
    What about search engines based outside europe.

This is good news for con men ,criminals etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

riclad wrote: »
    I wonder does this law effect yahoo.com , etc google is not the only search engine.
    What about search engines based outside europe.

This is good news for con men ,criminals etc
    I read in one of the articles bout it that it doesnt matter where the company/server is based. Its a world wide ruling.

Im on phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I don,t think european law has jurisdication over companys based in russia for example outside the eu.
    they might try and get isps in europe to block certain websites or search engines
    that break european privacy laws.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

riclad wrote: »
    I don,t think european law has jurisdication over companys based in russia for example outside the eu.
    they might try and get isps in europe to block certain websites or search engines
    that break european privacy laws.

It may not,
    However, what good is the content in Russia if nobody can find it using any of the main search engines anymore?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Google will flag up search results that have been deleted at the request of embarrassed subjects after European court ruling
    Google to put flags at the bottom of pages to say when links are hidden
    One internet pioneer, Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, has already said that the European attempt to suppress information would not work because of the global scale of the web.

He told the BBC’s Andrew Marr show: ‘They don’t censor the US version. That is not going to happen. There are many search engines around the world which don’t have a presence in Europe and who won’t abide by this ruling.’

Not so bad.

I was gonna check it there but the blocks don't seem to be in effect yet.

Advertisement