Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rebarreling a cz 452

Options
  • 20-05-2014 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Hi lads i'm wondering has anybody here ever re barreled a cz 452 in .22 or know of anybody who did and if so roughly how much and who did it, i know its a complete waste of money as a new cz would probably be cheaper, but for ****s and giggles i'm tempted to do it for the craic, i love shooting the .22 but due to the rear sight the scope sits a mile high and i'd like a shorter barrel, was considering getting the rear sight machined off and barrel chopped but then started thinking about a new barrel altogether just to make it look a little different, a nice short stainless fluted barrel and a boyds stock would make it into a lovely rifle, but can it be done? How are the barrels fitted onto the action? Are they threaded or a cheaper method used and what about the front action screw which threads into the barrell under the front sight?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ormondprop wrote: »
    Hi lads i'm wondering has anybody here ever re barreled a cz 452 in .22 or know of anybody who did and if so roughly how much and who did it,
    I've never seen one re-barreled. I was told they are soldered in so re-barreling can be a pain in the whole. Getting the barrel off being the biggest part of that.
    i love shooting the .22 but due to the rear sight the scope sits a mile high and i'd like a shorter barrel, was considering getting the rear sight machined off
    The rear sight should just slip off. Downward, and back pressure and the sight should "pop" off.
    a nice short stainless fluted barrel and a boyds stock would make it into a lovely rifle,
    Sounds the business. Something like a .22 scout? Would be a great little rifle.
    but can it be done? How are the barrels fitted onto the action? Are they threaded or a cheaper method used
    As said above i think the barrels are soldered. I remember a lad trying to get his CZ550 re-barreled and told that it was soldered in and to remove the barrel, thread the action, etc. would be too dangerous as the material removed would leave the action "weak". Not sure if the 452 are the same.
    ....... and what about the front action screw which threads into the barrell under the front sight?
    If you were to re-barrel and change the stock would this even be an issue?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Hi Ormondprop, the CZ action has 20mmx1.25mm threads .
    Regards ,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

I have seen it before, was going to get it done myself.

Never seen a CZ re-barreled. Not that i remember or noticed anyway.

So what's the story? Is it some were soldered and some threaded? Old, new type thing. Or was the soldering thing told to me in error and they were always threaded in? Is it the other models that use the silver soldering?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Cheers for that cass, i must ring around and see can it be done, for some reason i had an inkling the barrel could be soldered on, aren't steyrs the same?

I have the rear sight popped off already but the scope still sits high and due to the stock being low it makes it seem even higher

The screw under the iron sights will be an issue i say as its one of two screws that holds the barrelled action to the stock iirc, the other placed at the rear of the action so i'd imagine just using the one screw would cause accuracy issues unless i glued the action into a bedded stock maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I asked a gunsmith about it before and he said it could be done but he didnt think it was worth doing because of the costs involved.
    Another option would be to sell your 452 and buy a 455 and put a stainless lilja barrel on it.

Cheers for that cass, i must ring around and see can it be done,
    I'd say it can be done, like i seen done with a Sauer. Cut the barrel at the front of the action, internally thread, and attach the new barrel. That is assuming it's soldered.
    for some reason i had an inkling the barrel could be soldered on, aren't steyrs the same?
    Not sure about the Steyrs. I don't work on rifles so not 100% but heard the same. They are "stuck" on as it was told to me. Stuck :D
    I have the rear sight popped off already but the scope still sits high and due to the stock being low it makes it seem even higher
    Ah.
    The screw under the iron sights will be an issue i say as its one of two screws that holds the barrelled action to the stock iirc, the other placed at the rear of the action so i'd imagine just using the one screw would cause accuracy issues unless i glued the action into a bedded stock maybe?
    I'm no gunsmith or even a stock maker so bear with me as i throw out ideas.

Would a barrel/recoil lug type feature work? You can adapt the stock to take it and if bedded it should hold. I mean it's a rimfire not a C/F so recoil shouldn't be an issue.

If the action was held with one screw, and "held down" with some sort of lug or "bracket" then with the action held the barrel (considering the size and possible weight it would be) should not cause it to move?

It's a long shot and if it doesn't work then you're back to square one.

Although if companies do barrels for the CZ they must consider this and have a work around. Have you found any with something that works?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I have a 452 Lux with the rear sight and low stock. I switched the stock to a Boyds Rimfire Target Hunter and only used the action screw and it's fine. I've even won benchrest competitions with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭lefthooker

Cass wrote: »
    Not sure about the Steyrs. I don't work on rifles so not 100% but heard the same. They are "stuck" on as it was told to me. Stuck :D

Steyr barrels are "sweated" in AFAIK. Thru a process of heat treatment the barrel is inserted and on contraction the action grips the barrel, or something like that anyway. Open to correction on that.

zeissman wrote: »
    I asked a gunsmith about it before and he said it could be done but he didnt think it was worth doing because of the costs involved.
    Another option would be to sell your 452 and buy a 455 and put a stainless lilja barrel on it.
    Hi Zeissman, why did he think it was not worth it ....the work or costs would be no real different to any other rebarrel :confused:.
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Steyr barrels are not stuck in. Having visited the factory on a couple of occasions - once to collect twenty SSGs - we had a very interesting walk-around on each visit.

The finished barrels are cooled for 24 hours in a cryogenic chamber - a big refrigerator - and the actions are heated up.

So the barrels are shrunk in the cool and the actions are enlarged in the heat. The shank, BTW is over two inches long, all of which is inserted into the receiver.

After a carefully-calculated time the cold barrel is pushed hydraullically into the receiver, and then allowed to cool to ambient temperature over about 20 hours or so.

No glue there, just engineering, and the reason that Steyr barrels are virtually impossible to remove and replace without a lot of expensive work. Mind you, they are very long-lasting, to say the least. One that I regularly shot over a periods of twenty years produced a five-shot group that was identical to the factory test card - after more than 14,000 rounds of 190gr FMJ ammuntion. I know this to be a fact, as I shot both groups.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi Zeissman, why did he think it was not worth it ....the work or costs would be no real different to any other rebarrel :confused:.
    Regards,Tomcat.
    Yeah it would cost the same as any rebarrel so I presume he thought it would be too much to spend on a cheap rifle like a CZ.
    I have a CZ myself and dont think I would bother rebarreling it. I would rather put the money towards a new Anschutz.

zeissman wrote: »
    Yeah it would cost the same as any rebarrel so I presume he thought it would be too much to spend on a cheap rifle like a CZ.
    I have a CZ myself and dont think I would bother rebarreling it. I would rather put the money towards a new Anschutz.
    Hi Zeissman,thats a fair point ...but much like the guy looking to rebarrel a remmy action when a new tikka can be bought for around 1000 euro ,imo.
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

tac foley wrote: »
    Steyr barrels are not stuck in. Having visited the factory on a couple of occasions - once to collect twenty SSGs - we had a very interesting walk-around on each visit.

The finished barrels are cooled for 24 hours in a cryogenic chamber - a big refrigerator - and the actions are heated up.

So the barrels are shrunk in the cool and the actions are enlarged in the heat. The shank, BTW is over two inches long, all of which is inserted into the receiver.

After a carefully-calculated time the cold barrel is pushed hydraullically into the receiver, and then allowed to cool to ambient temperature over about 20 hours or so.

No glue there, just engineering, and the reason that Steyr barrels are virtually impossible to remove and replace without a lot of expensive work. Mind you, they are very long-lasting, to say the least. One that I regularly shot over a periods of twenty years produced a five-shot group that was identical to the factory test card - after more than 14,000 rounds of 190gr FMJ ammuntion. I know this to be a fact, as I shot both groups.

tac
    Pity the magazines don't last that long.

Chiparus wrote: »
    Pity the magazines don't last that long.

Depends how you treat them - I still have four out of five of mine - 2 x 5 and 2 x 10. The missing one is somewhere in a lake so that doesn't count as damage.

Good job they are cheap, then, eh? ;)

tac

You wouldn't know where I could acquire a spare mag for a SSG 69 in 308? Either 5 or 10.

I'm over at my local dealer tomorrow where they sold off all the county police SSG69s. I'll ask there. BTW, Midway are supposed to have then in stock. You might also try Sportwaffen Steyr/UK, based in York - they are supposed to be Steyr-ists. Sportmans Gun centre, too? Often said to be less than helpful, but I've not had any cause to complain about their service - what appeared at first glance to be a monumental c***-up was down to my poor command of the English language.

If I didn't use all of mine twice a year you would be welcome to one - but as it is, I have to shuffle off some rapid reloads to keep up with other shooters. Fortunately for me, I have something on my side that most of them do not, and that is having to reload rapidly under very trying circumstances for many, many years, and that 'muscle memory' counts a lot.

I'll let you know here tomorrow, OK?

tac

'kay. It is now tomorrow.

I've tried six dealers here in UK with the same result.

The USA, OTOH, seems to be awash with the things at around $69 - 75 each - and compared to the five-round Krico mags that I also use - at 200eu each, that's peanuts.

Sorry.

tac

Thanks for taking the time, I will email steyr , the magazine still works, just difficult to load the first cartridge as a small piece of plastic has broken , other than that it works fine.

Advertisement