Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia Stage 11 – May 21st, Collecchio - Savona 249km **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options
  • 20-05-2014 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭

Stage 11 – Wednesday May 21st, Collecchio - Savona 249km (***)

Stage 11 has a similar enough finish to stage 10 - a climb near the end, followed by a descent, and some tricky corners in the final few kilometres. Except the climb today is a lot tougher. The Naso di Gatto is a Cat. 2 climb, 5.8km in length with an average gradient of 8%, and a max of 13%. The descent will also have more of an effect on the riders than the one in Stage 10. It's about 15km long, leaving less that 4km of a flat run in to the finish.

We might see an exciting finish to this stage. From what we've seen so far, Cadel likes his BMC team to be at the very front just in case of any crashes etc. So that means that the tempo will be like lightning. Could some of the GC guys get in trouble? Maybe. If someone does get dropped, will the rest bomb it down the descent to try and gain a few seconds? Definitely.

Some people prefer it when stages finish with a climb, rather than a descent like today. But this type of stage can often be very thrilling. There are some great descenders in the peloton, and then there are a few that struggle going downhill. And here's hoping for Nico to go on an attack that lasts longer than 10 seconds :pac:

Map:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_planimetria_11.jpg?v=20140508173137

Profile:

tappa_dettagli_tecnici_altimetria_11.jpg?v=20140508173130

Last kms:

ukm_11.jpg?v=%3C!--%20[an%20error%20occurred%20while%20processing%20this%20directive]%20%20--%3E

Weather - Collecchio: Mostly sunny skies. High around 27C. Winds E at 10 to 15 kph. Savona: Partly cloudy. Highs of 22C. 14 kph winds from ESE.

Stage Betting: Edvald Boasson Hagen 6/1; Michael Matthews 14/1; Adam Hansen 14/1; Mauro Finetto 18/1.

Live TV coverage on Eurosport1 from 1.30pm. Highlights on Sky Sports 3 at 8pm and Eurosport1 at 10.55pm.

Live text ticker here.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Wednesday, May 21st.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Wednesday, May 21st.

ah balls. I should hire you as my editor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Mathews has retired overnight. Shame and thought he was over the crash as he rolled in third on stage 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭MPFG

having seen the highlights of stage 10 it is obvious Roche did not run out of steam in his attack...he called it off cos the peloton was splitting with Cadel in the lead group

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭antogz1979

A breakaway to stay away for sure now to pick a few out of about 100 riders that could be potentially in it. I'm going for Felline, Ratto, Gasparotto and Ytting Bak.

• Advertisement

Big shame alright about Bling. But for his overall fitness and health, it's probably the correct decision. The big mountains are looming. He's worked his arse off in the first week, managing to win two stages and getting the maglia rosa, and then he got his arse ripped off in a crash the other day. He'll need to time to heal and recover. Perhaps a spot on the Orica TdF team beckons?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Finally invested in Eurosport player today. Quality isn't exactly Netflix-good but at least you can be fairly sure it won't suddenly drop off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

MPFG wrote: »
    having seen the highlights of stage 10 it is obvious Roche did not run out of steam in his attack...he called it off cos the peloton was splitting with Cadel in the lead group

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/cycling/i-thought-there-might-be-a-chance-on-the-steep-part-to-give-it-a-shot-30291225.html
    As Sky drilled it up the hill, I thought there might be a chance on this steep part near the top where it calmed down and I could give it a shot, which I did with 6km to go.

What I didn't expect was to have to slam on the brakes within a few hundred metres as we hit the first hairpin bend of the descent. I thought the climb was 500m or so longer and that if I attacked going over the top I'd either get a couple of seconds or maybe bring three or four guys with me before the descent to the finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭happytramp

100% break to win. To tough for sprint teams to chase, no need for GC teams to chase the day before the TT. Everyone else will be represented in the break.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Garmin have just lost another rider, Fabian Wegmann crashed out at 23km. No breakaway has formed yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Stroon

Finally invested in Eurosport player today. Quality isn't exactly Netflix-good but at least you can be fairly sure it won't suddenly drop off.

I caved last week but it wouldn't work for me over 3G - only WiFi. Checked it just there and it seems to be working on 3G. Going to stay very still until 1:30 now.

A group of 22 have broken off the front of the peloton, currently have a gap of 28 seconds. Includes Roche, Morabito, Moser, Cataldo, Siutsov, Geniez

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

He got this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,234 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

that's a bloody strong group

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Paddigol

They won't let Morabito go will they??

Paddigol wrote: »
    They won't let Morabito go will they??

Actually yeah good point. Might be in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

Might allow BMC to ease off the gas for a bit? Let some of the other teams do the work..

Very interesting this. Hard group to catch. Siutsou's at 5'42 in the GC, best placed man besides Morabito who's 1'31. Should Morabito just drop off?

Maybe he should but I doubt he will. The other lads might need to put in an extra shift to stay out.

Well, I'm confused. Going to wait until the live coverage when the race has settled down a bit.

• Advertisement

Arredondo there too!

Looks like they've been caught....possibly

didn't realise this is a 249km stage...bloody hell.

Even if that break gets reeled in, I reckon Roche will have a dig. If ST let him off the leash that is.

from cycling news:

Looks like we may have a group of 23 again: Herrada (Movistar Team), Arredondo (Trek), Quintero (Colombia), Cardoso (Garmin - Sharp), Morabito (BMC), Roche and Rovny (Tinkoff-Saxo), Cataldo, Deignan and Siutsou (Sky), Moser (Cannondale), Geniez (FDJ), Bongiono, Colbrelli and Zardini (Bardiani-CSF), Bono (Lampre-Merida), Pauwels (Omega), Finetto (Neri Sottoli), Malacarne, Thurau and Quemeneur (Europcar), Gusev (Katusha), Geschke (Giant-Shimano). Now just to get some confirmation on that.... and a gap.....

cataldo, svitsou and deignan??

Bmc and Movistar don't appear to be in a charitable mood.

Luke Durbridge (Orica GreenEdge) has abandoned now as well.

Group of 14 with a gap of 1.40. Roche, Deignan and Moreno there. Moreno is a danger.

Deignan in breakaway with Roche .....Decisions decisions !!!!!

Maybe a repeat of stage in Beijing as few years ago

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Group of 14 with a gap of 1.40. Roche, Deignan and Moreno there. Moreno is a danger.

Rovney from Saxo has a very good sprint on him...remember its a downhill finish so Moreno advantage not that great

Moreno sitting at 9 mins back so if break goes too far out teams may chase

Better if Moreno not there

Advertisement