Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iBook G4 Quick Question

Options
  • 20-05-2014 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭

My friend is thinking about buying a ibook G4.

But he wants to know will the latest

3G broadband sticks work on it at all ?

Regarding 02 Vodafone meteor...Not sure which one he has.

Prob a very silly question but in 07 I had difficultly using a stick with linux mint.

Just thought I would ask you guys

thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don’t know off hand. Try contacting the operator. But even if it’s officially supported, you’d wouldn’t know for sure until you plug it in. The main problem would be the drivers. I’d imagine they’ve been Intel only for a while now.

I really wouldn’t recommend buying a machine that old. The last iBook was introduced 9 years ago. The latest OS it would be able to run is 10.5 if it’s lucky. Its usefulness would be very limited. Tell him to get an Intel Mac at the minimum, preferably one that can run 10.6 at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

I know it is a good question and this way the place to ask.

Well I hear the wifi works no problem.

and someone told me the sticks work but I would rather see that for myself honestly....

10.5 is on it. I am guessing you cant update it to the latest at all can you ?

like with linux ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

PPC Macs are obsolete. I would advise your friend to not buy it rather than try to get a mobile broadband dongle working on one.

Why not check the operator's sites for drivers and see what supported OS versions they support? Hint: The PPC version of 10.5 will not be listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,124 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

The occasional time I put my Meteor dongle modem into my 11 year old Powerbook, it can connect to the internet okay. Finding sites that support it are another story given it's old OS; several plain reject it while others crawl or struggle with Java. I'd halfway understand if he has some legacy software that he has to run but if he has to, I'd look at a PowerMac or Mac Mini for such a fast and I'd avoid a iBook big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Flash and Java will be the biggest hurdles, outdated versions and poor security - not that there were any malware on PPC. Browser choice will be restricted to Safari and maybe Opera.

That said I love to dust off my 17" Powerbook from time to time for nostalgia sake :) cutting edge at the time of its release !

Ken

• Advertisement
Advertisement