Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colaiste na Bhfiann

• 20-05-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I'm going to the gaeltacht in Ros Muc this summer for the first time to improve my Irish for my oral next year. Is there anyone who has ever been here that could give me advice/ info on the classes, activities or any information that I think I mite need to know .. Also any advice on what to bring??......... Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there,

Although I've never been to Ros Muc, I've been on 4 courses in Coláiste na bhFiann so I kinda know the story at this stage!

Each morning you will probably wake up around 8 and get ready. You will have a little 'ceacht' or small lesson which is fairly straight forward and then you get something to eat for breakfast. You will arrive at the school/hall for 9 and there will be a parade with Amhran na bhFiann (I'd advise you to know it off well!!) and then the classes would commence at 9.15 until 1pm. There would be a break between each class with some food around 11am. Then you would go back to your house after 1 and would have lunch and get dressed for sports and activities. There would be two sessions - one for sport and one for activities and each would have small groups of different games e.g. arts and crafts, drama, music etc and various sports also. After these groups you would go back home and have an evening meal and then come back for a ceili which would go on to around 9/10pm. There wouldn't be long ceili - there would be songs and activities during it. There is also a talent competition and a music competition for the 'best house' i.e. whichever house produces the best song!

The weekends are a little different. You will still have classes on Saturday but Sunday is a free day. You will attend mass in Irish (that's if you're Christian) or otherwise there will be some kind of activity organised. If your parents/guardians/family want to visit you, they can from 2:30 to 4:30 on Sunday.

Regarding what to bring - bring some money (50-100 euro is enough). There is a bank in the college and they collect money usually the first or second night. You can top up if you wish so don't worry if you are running low! Bring some stamps, envelopes, pens, paper etc for writing letters (You won't be doing any writing in class/ note taking so you don't need copies as such). Take comfortable clothes and some more casual/dressy for ceilis - the ceilis may have a theme such as county colours, superhero couples, Christmas ect. so bring different accessories if you want, however most people don't go over the top. Take towels and swim gear if you want to go swimming, your medications (if you have any), a disposable camera if you wish and bedclothes/sleeping bag. You aren't allowed phones/mp3s/digital cameras etc, ghds, dictionaries, aerosols etc.

That's really it I suppose. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! D

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Help1997

d1234 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Although I've never been to Ros Muc, I've been on 4 courses in Coláiste na bhFiann so I kinda know the story at this stage!

Each morning you will probably wake up around 8 and get ready. You will have a little 'ceacht' or small lesson which is fairly straight forward and then you get something to eat for breakfast. You will arrive at the school/hall for 9 and there will be a parade with Amhran na bhFiann (I'd advise you to know it off well!!) and then the classes would commence at 9.15 until 1pm. There would be a break between each class with some food around 11am. Then you would go back to your house after 1 and would have lunch and get dressed for sports and activities. There would be two sessions - one for sport and one for activities and each would have small groups of different games e.g. arts and crafts, drama, music etc and various sports also. After these groups you would go back home and have an evening meal and then come back for a ceili which would go on to around 9/10pm. There wouldn't be long ceili - there would be songs and activities during it. There is also a talent competition and a music competition for the 'best house' i.e. whichever house produces the best song!

The weekends are a little different. You will still have classes on Saturday but Sunday is a free day. You will attend mass in Irish (that's if you're Christian) or otherwise there will be some kind of activity organised. If your parents/guardians/family want to visit you, they can from 2:30 to 4:30 on Sunday.

Regarding what to bring - bring some money (50-100 euro is enough). There is a bank in the college and they collect money usually the first or second night. You can top up if you wish so don't worry if you are running low! Bring some stamps, envelopes, pens, paper etc for writing letters (You won't be doing any writing in class/ note taking so you don't need copies as such). Take comfortable clothes and some more casual/dressy for ceilis - the ceilis may have a theme such as county colours, superhero couples, Christmas ect. so bring different accessories if you want, however most people don't go over the top. Take towels and swim gear if you want to go swimming, your medications (if you have any), a disposable camera if you wish and bedclothes/sleeping bag. You aren't allowed phones/mp3s/digital cameras etc, ghds, dictionaries, aerosols etc.

That's really it I suppose. If you have any other questions, don't be afraid to ask! D

Thank you so much for the reply. Your info has really helped me. What type of lessons is their in the classes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭d1234

Hi there - there are four classes - 1 grammar, 1 song, 1 language development and 1 prep for mass which then turns into debating!

Advertisement