Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flo Gas

Options
  • 20-05-2014 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but my mother just switched to Flo Gas via a door to door salesman which worries me slightly as she's on a very limited budget.

The man told her that Bord Gais have been bought out and will be putting up their prices next month therefore she'd be better off switching. Is there any truth to this??

He's also promised a 22% discount for 12 months which seems a bit high judging by the other percentages quoted on this thread.

Also is it true that they read the meter remotely and thus don't issue estimated bills?

Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,059 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bord Gais Energy, the consumer supply arm, have been sold but there's zero indication that prices will go up as a result as yet.

Flogas are still cheapest on a single fuel deal, but not by 22%. They don't do electricity so there's no dual fuel deals available and I'm not sure if two singles is still best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

make sure you read the meter now to get the final bord gais reading. Remote meter reading?? Maybe because your mother is relaying information to you, she may have misunderstood some of what she was told. You are best to call them directly so you can understand it best.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

MYOB wrote: »
    Bord Gais Energy, the consumer supply arm, have been sold but there's zero indication that prices will go up as a result as yet.

Flogas are still cheapest on a single fuel deal, but not by 22%. They don't do electricity so there's no dual fuel deals available and I'm not sure if two singles is still best value.

Hmm that's what I thought. I looked up their website and the highest discount they offer is 15% which is only for direct debt customers which she is not.
    make sure you read the meter now to get the final bord gais reading. Remote meter reading?? Maybe because your mother is relaying information to you, she may have misunderstood some of what she was told. You are best to call them directly so you can understand it best.

He read the meter today and then when she asked how often will they come out to read it, he said they dont :confused: He said it's all connected to their system and all done "underground" (!!) I was thinking maybe they'll install a smart meter or something but she said he mentioned nothing about that.

I'm going to get her to ring them tomorrow and figure all of this out because I really smell a rat! Mum said he was told her he was Albanian and was also on the dole. But Albania isnt even in the EU so as far I know this isnt possible. ( I could be wrong on this though!)

Meanwhile Ive looked up a few other things on Flogas and they do seem to be a good deal. I just this fella seems like a cowboy!

I've not seen an internal gas meter in years so that may be what he's getting his ideas from. Door to door energy sales staff are never very well trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posts split out and moved to a new thread

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,226 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

Flogas is not having remote meters, there will be no change to the meter currently used.

Bord Gais Network arm is continuing to send someone around to check the meter 3 times a year, the others times Flogas do an estimate.

The "sales" person is telling a fairytale there.

There is no 22%, I think what he did is take the 15% for paying by direct debit and added the 7% if not paying by direct debit onto it, voila 22%.

I would get onto them and complain about the sales person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Delira wrote: »
    Sorry for bumping an old thread, but my mother just switched to Flo Gas via a door to door salesman which worries me slightly as she's on a very limited budget.

The man told her that Bord Gais have been bought out and will be putting up their prices next month therefore she'd be better off switching. Is there any truth to this??
    Lies
    He's also promised a 22% discount for 12 months which seems a bit high judging by the other percentages quoted on this thread.

Also is it true that they read the meter remotely and thus don't issue estimated bills?

Thanks for any replies
    More lies.
    Delira wrote: »
    Hmm that's what I thought. I looked up their website and the highest discount they offer is 15% which is only for direct debt customers which she is not.

He read the meter today and then when she asked how often will they come out to read it, he said they dont :confused: He said it's all connected to their system and all done "underground" (!!) I was thinking maybe they'll install a smart meter or something but she said he mentioned nothing about that.

I'm going to get her to ring them tomorrow and figure all of this out because I really smell a rat! Mum said he was told her he was Albanian and was also on the dole. But Albania isnt even in the EU so as far I know this isnt possible. ( I could be wrong on this though!)

Meanwhile Ive looked up a few other things on Flogas and they do seem to be a good deal. I just this fella seems like a cowboy!
    Did he have ID? Was he legitimate or maybe casing the house for a burglary?

I would call the Gardai and tell them I was worried about this person calling door to door especially as he seems to know so little about the supply off Gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

I;m with FLO gas and have had no problems with them. They are the cheapest around at the mo.

On the flip side, have nothing but hassle with Board Gas before I switched over to FLO. That reminds me I must switch the leccy too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I;m with FLO gas and have had no problems with them. They are the cheapest around at the mo.

On the flip side, have nothing but hassle with Board Gas before I switched over to FLO. That reminds me I must switch the leccy too

And do they read the meter remotely?

And do they read the meter remotely?

They don't read the meters at all - Bord Gais Networks do. And not remotely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I know a lot of the companies come up with it being a 22 or 25% discount. They say its 10% off electricity and 15% off gas, so you'll get a 25% discount. Standard spiel they are given in their training. I know I explained in detail to one bod at the door exactly why the 25% spiel she was giving me was a load of shlock, and I got a very blank look. They obviously don't expect onsumers to have much in the way of maths skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

MYOB wrote: »
    They don't read the meters at all - Bord Gais Networks do. And not remotely!

I really knew that but the quoted piece lauded flo gas without answering the salient point from the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Best thing is call from gas and check it out. She can cancel if she wants within 7days. If you Che K out bonkers. Ie it will tell you who is cheapest. I thought electric Ireland was.

Been with flogas a few years and find them easy to deal with.

Those talking of dual fuel. They only do gas.

seagull wrote: »
    I know a lot of the companies come up with it being a 22 or 25% discount. They say its 10% off electricity and 15% off gas, so you'll get a 25% discount. Standard spiel they are given in their training. I know I explained in detail to one bod at the door exactly why the 25% spiel she was giving me was a load of shlock, and I got a very blank look. They obviously don't expect onsumers to have much in the way of maths skills.

Its more likely the sales person is lacking the maths skills.

I had an SSE Airtricity guy who couldn't understand how wind energy didn't work out innately cheaper than other forms...

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Delira

So rang them today after going through the website properly last night and seeing the full extent of this guy's retardedness/lies. The lady on the phone was very apologetic for all the wrong information he gave (there was even more than I outlined on the thread). She assured us that there is no such thing as remote metering and that Bord Gais will continue to read the meter as usual, and that there is no 22% discount.

The annoying thing is he left the space where he was supposed to give his name blank so we couldnt give her his name. But she said that as soon as he sends in the forms they'll have him then :p

Also he had no need to lie! They ARE cheaper than Bord Gais and we were talking about switching anyway. So we would have still signed up if he had just been straight up. He was obviously away with the fecking fairies on the training day. Well it's his loss now because he's not getting a penny of his hard-earned commission :pac:

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Advertisement