Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Log Book while Travelling?

• 20-05-2014 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hey All,

Heading to France soon, will be trying to hit Switzerland and maybe Germany also..

Anyone know from experience if ill need the log book with me for border crossing/check points? from reading online i understand it's needed for getting work done to the bike in a garage and i imagine if im stopped by the cops. has anyone here had to present or better yet not had it with them and was it an issue?

I've had the bike 2 months and no sign of log book, ill be contacting the seller tomorrow as i had forgotten about/ignored it until now but i checked the tax website and it has no record of the change of ownership being processed.

Thanks Lads/Ladys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    Hey All,

Heading to France soon, will be trying to hit Switzerland and maybe Germany also..

Anyone know from experience if ill need the log book with me for border crossing/check points? from reading online i understand it's needed for getting work done to the bike in a garage and i imagine if im stopped by the cops. has anyone here had to present or better yet not had it with them and was it an issue?

I've had the bike 2 months and no sign of log book, ill be contacting the seller tomorrow as i had forgotten about/ignored it until now but i checked the tax website and it has no record of the change of ownership being processed.

Thanks Lads/Ladys

You need to carry the log book at all times when outside the RoI. How else will forgien cops know it's your bike, you also need to carry your insurance certificate. Take colour copies of both and your licence, and passport, and save them to Dropbox or similar.

I did France and a bit of Italy and Switzerland a few years ago and only showed my passport getting onto the ferrys out and back to Ireland.

If your not travelling alone swap your spare keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

Del2005 wrote: »
    How else will forgien cops know it's your bike

The license plate would be on the insurance cert though they might want to see the log book?

I have crossed the borders of Holland/Belgium/France a few times and there wouldnt be anything more than there is going from one county to another in Ireland, certainly no check points.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

rowanh wrote: »
    The license plate would be on the insurance cert though they might want to see the log book?

I have crossed the borders of Holland/Belgium/France a few times and there wouldnt be anything more than there is going from one county to another in Ireland, certainly no check points.

I got the log book off the seller and took scans of it, and if I'm lucky it will come back in my name before I head off.

It's good to hear that it'll be fairly uninterrupted between borders,

I didn't imagine barbed wire customs gates and interrogations but was curious if anyone had there bike seized or where they told to carry on when they didn't provide a logbook.

Thanks for the info guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Apart from it being a legal requirement to carry the VLC when travelling it's very easy to get an insurance cert to match a plate. When I went to France I received my cert by pdf so I could have edited to match any plate I liked.

While there are no longer any border checkpoints the customs still do random checks and there's definitely a border checkpoint to enter the Schengen Zone. I know that between Switzerland and Germany either countries customs can stop you up to 20km from the border. I drove into Switzerland a couple of times and didn't get stopped even thought technically my bike was illegal as the IRL tag on the plate isn't enough.

While riding in Europe is easy and there's a low chance of being stopped, not carrying the correct documents can at best mean you've a bit of a delay and possible fine at worst you could be trying to recover your bike from an unknown legal system. Even the only country we have a land border with will arrest you if it's late at night and you can't provide a valid UK address to get a fine sent too

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Just booked my bike into a garage in Germany and the first question I was asked was "Can I see the papers for the bike?" im not sure about anywhere else but in Germany its the law to always have your log book on you while riding the bike.

• Advertisement
Advertisement