Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hair pulling

Options
  • 20-05-2014 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭

As the title suggests, I've a 16 year old due to start Junior cert in next couple of weeks. She's a good student, very focused in her books and tries extremely hard in school. We'd never have to ask her to get her head into her books ever, she's a really good kid.

Last couple if months she's been pulling out her own hair, its got to the point now where she's piling her hair up on top of her head to hide the baldness which is now very noticeable.

She's attending her doc, but i'm just wondering has anyone ever experienced this and did it go away itself after the stressful period which i hope is the underlying cause goes away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind/mental_health/trichotillomania.html#

Either you or a therapist should be able to help her find alternative ways of self soothing. There are a lot of theories around this from genetic OCD to possible Tourettes, and usually remedied with medication and or therapy.

Sometimes it does go away by itself and sometimes it doesn't. If she is at the stage of having to hide bald spots, then you need to do something about it before it builds on itself in a cycle of shame.

Advertisement