Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Archery in/near Drogheda?

• 21-05-2014 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Beginner, just bought a 45-55 lb compound bow (probably way too strong for me, but I'm a glutton for punishment) any info about nearby Clubs would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Yep, way too strong to start with.

Contact Archery Ireland http://archery.ie/site/ who will be able to put you in-touch with a club closest to you and do the beginers course. It will take about 6 or 7 weeks and you will use the club bows to start with (which will more likely be recurve barebows).

Please note that a compound bow has a very aggressive power delivery and unless you know what you are doing and have the correctly spined arrows and a suitable release then it can go horribly wrong (Google "when compound bows go wrong" or "compound bow accidents" if you need proof).

If the bow is a used one then it would also be advisable to get it thoroughly checked by an expert for safety reasons. Speak to Kieth at Archery Shop Ireland http://www.archeryshop.ie/ . What he does not know is not worth knowing.

Join a club and have fun. It is the closest thing you get to Zen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Jose1

Thanks for your reply. I checked out the AI website but it seems that most of the beginner's courses are based in Cork and Kerry, way too far for me to travel anyone else with info about this?

I guessed that the 45-55lb compound bow would be a tough work but it has an 80% let off so hopefully that will make life a little easier on me. I've searched the web looking for something easier to pull but sellers say 20-30lb is for Juniors, how true is that? (Bow should arrive sometime tomorrow)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Check out Cuchulainn Archers and Ardee Archers. They will be running periodic beginners courses.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Jose1 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. I checked out the AI website but it seems that most of the beginner's courses are based in Cork and Kerry, way too far for me to travel anyone else with info about this?

I guessed that the 45-55lb compound bow would be a tough work but it has an 80% let off so hopefully that will make life a little easier on me. I've searched the web looking for something easier to pull but sellers say 20-30lb is for Juniors, how true is that? (Bow should arrive sometime tomorrow)

Most clubs will run beginners courses periodically. I can not emphasise enough how important it is to get some good qualified advice.

The let-off is designed in so that the bow can be held at full draw for a longer period to allow for sighting, that is not the problem. The problem is the fraction of a second following "loose" when all of that stored-up energy is released and all of the things that can happen in that fraction of a second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJoxJJjcQFU

or

http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/forums/73-general-comments-information/70340-bow-accident-graphic-pix.html

Thanks for the advice, I have managed to get hooked up with a local/ish Club so really looking forward to getting started.

Yeah, I've checked Utube and the web for hints and tips and have also come across some ugly archery. However, I intend to do things right and give it my best shot. BTW, the bow arrived and looks really nice.

• Advertisement

Which club?

Ardee

Enjoy

How are you getting on?

Thanks for asking.

I've slackened off both limbs by 7 turns so I'm now able to comfortably practice for much longer than before. I'd say it's less than 40lb ATM.

YouTube is super for tips on setting up a bow. I've managed to install a D loop, peep sight and string silencers and I'm now waiting for a Kisser Button to arrive. I've also printed off my own targets for my DIY butt. I'm shooting at 15 yard range cos' that's the length of my garden. I'm really enjoying it and love to see the odd arrow hit the bull's eye. Makes me come back for more.

I know that form is everything and I'm really trying to keep steady and hold the finish. Much in the same way as golf!

Still haven't managed to get started with a club just yet, mostly my fault as I'm right in the middle of the Inter Club golfing season right now but that should ease at the end of the month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

When I first started shooting I would automatically take up a golf stance rather than an archery stance. Muscle memory and all that. My (friend) instructor took endless delight in slapping my arse every time she walked behind me to make me stand straight up. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Youtube is very good, I agree, but mix it up with a healthy dose of talking to people too. Glad you have reduced the poundage. Please note that the delivery of the power from a compound bow with a similar poundage to a recurve bow means the arrow is traveling much faster and is capable of doing much more damage.

Just to let you know that I am starting a new club soon in Ashbourne (Ashbourne Archers) that may suit you, geographically, it is on FB. It will be an AI affiliated club so you would need to do the 7 week beginners course with the club equipment. But after that you could start using your own bow and get advice from the coaches that I would bring in.

Form and frame are everything, as you say. If you always shoot on your own you can develop bad habits that are difficult to shake. Observations from experienced archers will pick them up very quickly.

Good luck and shoot safely.

OldGoat wrote: »
    When I first started shooting I would automatically take up a golf stance rather than an archery stance. Muscle memory and all that. My (friend) instructor took endless delight in slapping my arse every time she walked behind me to make me stand straight up. :)

Nothing will correct you more quickly than a good slap on the arse!!

Midnight64 wrote: »

Just to let you know that I am starting a new club soon in Ashbourne (Ashbourne Archers) that may suit you, geographically, it is on FB. It will be an AI affiliated club so you would need to do the 7 week beginners course with the club equipment. But after that you could start using your own bow and get advice from the coaches that I would bring in.

On what days/nights are you likely to operate?

Hoping for Thursday but it will depend on the venue.

http://https://www.facebook.com/ashbournearchers

Thursday's would be great, count me in. Let me know when you intend to start up.

joeclarke45@yahoo.cu.uk

BTW, link doesn't work for me?

Advertisement