Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SQL Query Help

Options
  • 21-05-2014 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi, just teaching myself some SQL. I tend to start learning different technologies until I hit a problem. Then I seek help.

Anyway, so I started learning SQL and came across a problem.

It goes like this:

The following are relations for a zoological database.

Zoo(zoo_id, name, address, country)
    Section(section_id, name, description, zoo_id)
    Animal(animal_id, name, scientific_name,date_of_birth, gender, section_id)
    Food(food_id, name, type)
    Animal_food(animal_id, food_id)

Find all the male animals.
    Find all the animals who eat bananas.
    Find all the animals born after 2000 and list in age order (from old to young)
    List the number of animals, less than one year old, that eat their vegetables or meat. Show separate total for each food type.

I started learning SQl about a week ago and was just doing basics. Like SELECT * FROM "table here"

I spent too much time reading about it and not doing it and I forgot quite a bit.

Could anyone start me off with the above? they sound pretty straight forward but I cant seem to get my head around them?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Greyian

Hey

You'll need to familiarise yourself with the WHERE clause. That's all you'll need for the first one. The 1st one, as I'm sure you've noticed, is far and away the simplest.

For the remaining ones, you'll need to combine multiple operations. It might sound difficult, so just think about it step-by-step (basically narrowing your results on each step).

For the 2nd one, you'll want to look at Joins. I would suggest looking at the various join types (inner, left, right, full), though you can carry it out using just the join in the example shown (which is an inner join) on the linked page.

For the 3rd one, familiarise yourself with Order By.

For the final one, you'll need to use Count, along with some of the other functions used previously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

Greyian wrote: »
    Hey

You'll need to familiarise yourself with the WHERE clause. That's all you'll need for the first one. The 1st one, as I'm sure you've noticed, is far and away the simplest.

For the remaining ones, you'll need to combine multiple operations. It might sound difficult, so just think about it step-by-step (basically narrowing your results on each step).

For the 2nd one, you'll want to look at Joins. I would suggest looking at the various join types (inner, left, right, full), though you can carry it out using just the join in the example shown (which is an inner join) on the linked page.

For the 3rd one, familiarise yourself with Order By.

For the final one, you'll need to use Count, along with some of the other functions used previously.

Thanks for that.

Just looked at WHERE and JOINS and came up with this for the second one:

SELECT Animal.name, Food.type
    FROM Animal, Food
    WHERE Food.type = 'bananas'

That was just a quick mock up. How does it compare to the correct answer? Am I far off? Where am I going wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Stanlex wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Just looked at WHERE and JOINS and came up with this for the second one:

SELECT Animal.name, Food.type
    FROM Animal, Food
    WHERE Food.type = 'bananas'

That was just a quick mock up. How does it compare to the correct answer? Am I far off? Where am I going wrong?

There is no direct link between the animal and food from your sql. The question is how do you know what food is for what animal.

You need to use the: Animal_food(animal_id, food_id) table.
    SELECT NAME
    FROM animal
    WHERE animal_id IN (
    		SELECT animal_id
    		FROM animal_food
    		WHERE food_id IN (
    				SELECT DISTINCT food_id
    				FROM food
    				WHERE NAME = 'bananas'
    				)
    		)

You start of with getting the food_id of bananas and then selecting all the animal ids that have that id. Then you pull back a list of animal names that relate to that. The above could have been accomplished equally as well with joins etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I think left joining Animals to AnimalFood and joining that to Food is a much easier to follow than the subselect code posted above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Stanlex

TonyStark wrote: »
    There is no direct link between the animal and food from your sql. The question is how do you know what food is for what animal.

SELECT NAME
    FROM animal
    WHERE animal_id IN (
    		SELECT animal_id
    		FROM animal_food
    		WHERE food_id IN (
    				SELECT DISTINCT food_id
    				FROM food
    				WHERE NAME = 'bananas'
    				)
    		)

You start of with getting the food_id of bananas and then selecting all the animal ids that have that id. Then you pull back a list of animal names that relate to that. The above could have been accomplished equally as well with joins etc.

That's a little too complicated for a beginner. Is there a way to do that for a beginner to understand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

SELECT ANIMAL.Name 
       from ANIMAL, ANIMAL_FOOD, FOOD 
     where ANIMAL.Animal_id=FOOD.Animal_id 
        and FOOD.Food_id=ANIMAL_FOOD.Food_id 
        and lower(FOOD.Name)='bananas';

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Quick whizz... not fully verified:

-- Find all the male animals.

SELECT * FROM Animal WHERE UPPER(gender) = 'M'

-- Find all the animals who eat bananas.

SELECT
    a.animal_id,
    a.name
    FROM
    Animal a
    JOIN Animal_food af ON a.animal_id = af.animal_id
    JOIN Food f ON f.food_id = af.food_id
    WHERE
    UPPER(f.name) = 'BANANAS'

-- Find all the animals born after 2000 and list in age order (from old to young)

SELECT
    a.*
    FROM
    Animal a
    WHERE
    a.date_of_birth >= '2000-01-01'
    ORDER BY
    a.date_of_birth

-- List the number of animals, less than one year old, that eat their vegetables or meat. Show separate total for each food type.

SELECT
    f.type,
    COUNT(0) AS Count
    FROM
    Animal a
    JOIN Animal_food af ON a.animal_id = af.animal_id
    JOIN Food f ON f.food_id = af.food_id
    WHERE
    a.date_of_birth > (GETDATE() - 365)
    AND UPPER(f.type) in ('MEAT','VEGETABLE')
    GROUP BY
    f.type

• Registered Users Posts: 7,501 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

SELECT ANIMAL.Name 
       from ANIMAL, ANIMAL_FOOD, FOOD 
     where ANIMAL.Animal_id=FOOD.Animal_id 
        and FOOD.Food_id=ANIMAL_FOOD.Food_id 
        and lower(FOOD.Name)='bananas';

I personally hate those types of joins. Very hard to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

SELECT NAME
    FROM animal
    WHERE animal_id IN (
    		SELECT animal_id
    		FROM animal_food
    		WHERE food_id IN (
    				SELECT DISTINCT food_id
    				FROM food
    				WHERE NAME = 'bananas'
    				)
    		)

what ever you do .. DO NOT use this shítty nested queries.. they are so much slower and complex than using joins. They are a pretty bad habit to get from the start when learning.

All animals who eat bananas:

select * from animals a
    join animal_food af on a.animal_id = af.animal_id
    join Food f on af.food_id = f.food_id
    where f.Name = 'Banana'

use the above as a base to answer the rest of the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

There is no direct link between the animal and food from your sql.

Animal_food is an intersection table that creates a many to many relationship between animal and food ->

An animal can eat many foods. A food can be eaten by many animals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

neil_hosey wrote: »
    what ever you do .. DO NOT use this shítty nested queries.. they are so much slower and complex than using joins. They are a pretty bad habit to get from the start when learning.

All animals who eat bananas:

select * from animals a
    join animal_food af on a.animal_id = af.animal_id
    join Food f on af.food_id = f.food_id
    where f.Name = 'Banana'

use the above as a base to answer the rest of the questions.

Agreed, also try to avoid using *. It lends itself to sloppiness as well :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

Stanlex wrote: »
    That's a little too complicated for a beginner. Is there a way to do that for a beginner to understand?

Its not that its too complicated. Its just a terrible way to get that set of results.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

I personally hate those types of joins. Very hard to follow.

Ah the joys of Non-ANSI joins. trying to figure out where to put the * for left and right outer joins was always fun*

*may be slightly sarcastic.

Advertisement