Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheque book on closed a/c

Options
  • 21-05-2014 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I switched to ptsb earlier this year from Boi. Just found a new and unused cheque book for my old Boi a/c. Presumably I paid stamp duty on that. Can/should I return it to Boi for a refund of that stamp duty?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

You should really have returned it before the account was closed, but yes, you are entitled to a refund of stamp duty

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

homer911 wrote: »
    You should really have returned it before the account was closed, but yes, you are entitled to a refund of stamp duty
    I know!!
    This is yet another little thing that could be included in the switch info to make life easier on the customer methinks...

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Stamp duty is not charged unless you use the cheques, 50cent each is triggerable once presented

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

Stamp duty is not charged unless you use the cheques, 50cent each is triggerable once presented
    Interesting... I just ordered a cheque book from ptsb and had a €20 stamp duty applied to my account. I haven't reviewed the cheque book yet... They obviously charge it in advance... Do Boi? If so then I would be due a refund. If not, then I wouldn't be...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

I believe that changed several years ago so stamp duty is now charged when the cheque book is issued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,437 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

amen wrote: »
    I believe that changed several years ago so stamp duty is now charged when the cheque book is issued.

BoI have always charged the stamp duty when the cheque book is issued.

Advertisement