Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise about colour to use in garden back wall (photo provided).

• 21-05-2014 10:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Looking for some advise about what colour to use in order to paint the below wall in my back garden. The side walls are wooden panels currently painted in red cedar.

Looking to put perhaps some small trellis after painting.

wvria1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭LurkerNo1

Prob go with a darker colour myself as it will make the wall seem further away.
    The trees looked planted very close to the wall. If your neighbour decides he doesn't like them or gets pissed with them overhanging he can cut right up to his side of the boundary wall. You'll be loosing half the coverage you require for privacy.
    Nothing personal but it amazes me that people plant trees right up against boundary walls without asking neighbours if they want to share a tree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    Nothing personal but it amazes me that people plant trees right up against boundary walls without asking neighbours if they want to share a tree?

Maybe the original poster did ask?

Anyway, I would go for a pale olive green on that wall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,775 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Light green or silver?

As for asking permission, forget about that. I would guess his neighbours didn't ask if he wanted to view their dilapidated shed roof or oversized trampoline.

prospect wrote: »
    Maybe the original poster did ask?

Anyway, I would go for a pale olive green on that wall.

Maybe he did as I said nothing personal. Having said that I have never known of anybody that contacted a neighbour about the issue, not even one.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Light green or silver?

As for asking permission, forget about that. I would guess his neighbours didn't ask if he wanted to view their dilapidated shed roof or oversized trampoline.

Never mentioned anything about asking permission, nice try though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Galego

Yes, they are planted very tight to the boundary wall. Around 2 feet. They were some previous trees already planted there to this distance from the wall.

I will be 100% honestly. I did not ask. The trees will affect two neighbours. I will go this same evening and ask them. It is not too late. They've only been planted on Sunday. Anyway, my plan is to keep well tight to my side, train them to come to my garden. This is an example of the same tree 4 years old and not being cut once. This is more of a shrub being trained to be a tree.

ouxu6r.jpg

What distance would you suggest in feet from the wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

I think white's your only colour for a garden wall. It's traditional. It looks bright and cheerful when you look down the garden. Easy to buy too. You can repaint it with another bucket of white masonry paint when they're on special offer from lidl/aldi, without having to find a matching colour.

2 feet is very close i would at least double that, footings around walls are very dry/poor soil you may have a rain shadow effect so will need plenty of watering. You may or may not have issues in future with the roots damaging the wall, these are things you need to consider. That is a nice young specimen in your picture, multi stems are always lovely, but it has an awful lot more growing to do and will start to spread as it matures. Plant labels are a big issue with me most give a 5 or 10 year height spread estimate so you can nearly always double it at maturity.
    You don't have to ask but i do wish people would consider it more, you are basically giving more garden maintenance to people. If you went around and had a chat and they were happy with it id say fine plant near the boundary but if they didn't want the maintenance then you want to plant it half its mature spread into your side or keep it within your own bounds yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Cream colour and add x panels paint same red as other wood. Makes it stand out. Have seen before looks a nice finish.

Cream colour and add x panels paint same red as other wood. Makes it stand out. Have seen before looks a nice finish.

Would magnolia be considered a cream colour in this case? Too yellowish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Yes, painted our walls magnolia and it transformed the garden. People will baulk at the word 'Magnolia' like it's a dirty thing :) But looks good.

LurkerNo1 wrote: »
    2 feet is very close i would at least double that, footings around walls are very dry/poor soil you may have a rain shadow effect so will need plenty of watering. You may or may not have issues in future with the roots damaging the wall, these are things you need to consider. That is a nice young specimen in your picture, multi stems are always lovely, but it has an awful lot more growing to do and will start to spread as it matures. Plant labels are a big issue with me most give a 5 or 10 year height spread estimate so you can nearly always double it at maturity.
    You don't have to ask but i do wish people would consider it more, you are basically giving more garden maintenance to people. If you went around and had a chat and they were happy with it id say fine plant near the boundary but if they didn't want the maintenance then you want to plant it half its mature spread into your side or keep it within your own bounds yourself.

If I had had a "proper garden" I would have planted at 7 or 8 feet from the wall but unfortunately I do not have that much space so I had to go as tight as I could. As I said, there were trees already planted around this distance to the wall before and cut down by the previous owner. The stumps remained and from the looks of it seemed there were much larger trees that these cotoneasters. Anyway, no of those trees damaged the wall. I've now killed the stumps and roots and I was advised by "experts" to plant new trees between previous stumps.
    In regards to the soil, it is sort of the opposite to what you pointed out (in my case). Soil is pretty good but quite wet. I am worried as these cotoneasters do not like wet soils.
    As for the maintenance. There should not be any maintenance for any of my neighbours. It will be only me doing all this work even if that means having to pay for it and doing it from their gardens. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Will a light colour not be more difficult to maintain when you have your trellis, and whatever's growing on it, affixed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

redser7 wrote: »
    Yes, painted our walls magnolia and it transformed the garden. People will baulk at the word 'Magnolia' like it's a dirty thing :) But looks good.

Yeah magnolia would be nice. brightens up a back garden. And like I Said use the x pannels (are cheap enough). The missus be chuffed.

Yeah magnolia would be nice. brightens up a back garden. And like I Said use the x pannels (are cheap enough). The missus be chuffed.

May I ask you to post here a link to those X pannels?

Just want to see if you are referring to the same ones which I have in mind.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭ike

I painted mine Terracotta, its nice warm colour, looks good anytime of the year, not to garish, compliments the green foliage very well.

Quick photo from my phone attached...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi you could do some this .jack73846_202.jpg

ike wrote: »
    I painted mine Terracotta, its nice warm colour, looks good anytime of the year, not to garish, compliments the green foliage very well.

Quick photo from my phone attached...

Lovely! You ever considered painting the pillars between the wooden panels?

I am looking to paint them myself matching the colour with the colour in the back wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

White all the way. I have my back garden done white and I loved it but it needs doing again as this is 10 yrs later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

Id paint it wimbledon green. That dark background xolour at the tennis tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think a dark colour would draw the all closer to you, making the garden appear shorter.

Also, a bright or loud colour will draw attention to the wall itself, rather than the shrubs behind it.

I'd be picking the palest green/cream or off-white colour you like to make the wall clean and invisible, and the colours and shapes of the trees & shrubs in front of it would stand out.

But, that is all just personal opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

ponddigger wrote: »
    hi you could do some this .jack73846_202.jpg

now thats a simple effective and brilliant solution. not too cheap id imagine though. on a side not. do you do nixers pond digger. my pond is in dire need of tlc.

Hi,
    I need a bit of advise as I am a total newbie in gardening.

I planted some trees early this week and yesterday and decided to moved them up a little as there were initially planted too close to a boundary wall. Two of them were replanted no issues but one half of the "ball" around the roots fell apart. The third a bit fell off too but not too much.

Should I replace that tree which lost half of the "ball"?

Thanks.

Did the roots tear away too or just the soil fall away?

Did the roots tear away too or just the soil fall away?

When the soil fell apart it took some of those small tiny "roots". I did not see any main roots being tore away with the soil.

Is it really bad? Am I better off getting and planting a new tree?

It's hard to judge to be honest. If you judge that not a lot of root damage occurred then you should be fine.

It's hard to judge to be honest. If you judge that not a lot of root damage occurred then you should be fine.

Would the tree die soon if I did in fact tear too many roots apart from it?

It could but it doesn't sound like you did that level of damage. Again it's hard to say. Sure just keep an eye on it and look for obvious signs of it looking sad. It wont do much this year anyway and if it is banjaxed you can plant a potted tree any time of the year or a bareroot in autumn/winter. Sometimes young bareroots work out better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Is there any way to tint exterior paint easily? I bought some Brilliant White because it was the only one in the large tubs but I'd prefer something a little less brilliantly white.

• Advertisement

Where did you buy it? Is it open? Magnolia/cream is widely available. Woodies do their own brand, good value.

Advertisement