Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Outrageously overpriced parts

• 21-05-2014 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I have been quoted almost €100 for a single intake boot for my Mille (I need two) and there is no spurious option that I can find anywhere. I only noticed the cracks while doing other work so clearly they haven't failed yet. At that price, I see an annoying used parts search ahead but I'm just lucky I've had some notice before they fail.

That's my personal best in terms of astonishingly overpriced parts. I don't begrudge Aprilia a bit of overpricing considering that motorcycle parts don't turn over as much as car parts but in fairness- wow like, €100 for what is essentially a rubber boot is absolutely merciless.

What's your record holder?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

€350 for a replacement reg/rect for a CBR600RR from Honda Ireland.

Found a race team in the UK that make their own for their race bikes, £50, never had another problem with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

KT10 wrote: »

Found a race team in the UK that make their own for their race bikes, £50, never had another problem with it.

have you had to buy a battery yet? 100 bucks for the 600rr battery, mine is not well at the moments, squeezing the last few volts!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Jesus, it's €110 for an original Ducati one. Although the ducati one probably breaks every 2 years

jameshayes wrote: »
    have you had to buy a battery yet? 100 bucks for the 600rr battery, mine is not well at the moments, squeezing the last few volts!

Check the code on the battery, if it matches, here's one for €45

http://batteryworld.ie/vehicle/8822-cbr600

Cienciano wrote: »
    Jesus, it's €110 for an original Ducati one. Although the ducati one probably breaks every 2 years

Its a known weakpoint on the Honda's, every one I've had, the reg/rec went and I wasn't paying €350 for a product that was obvisiously faulty/poorly designed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think thats the price for a niche manufacturer of low volume bikes.
    Its pretty expensive for sure but some Black Tec-7 applied carefully on to a spotlessly cleaned part should provide you with some time to source new ones like these here
    Honda RFVC singles>600cc do it as well.
    BTW a NLA Head for a Dominator is over 1000 euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

€94 for a single inicator for a Cbr125r.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

620 for a side panel for a gsxr 600

220 for the the left engine cover for the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

corkgsxr wrote: »
    620 for a side panel for a gsxr 600

220 for the the left engine cover for the same

The lesson is make you're HEAVILY insured with all the step back NCD and the like. A minter that you must have right falling in your driveway can easily be a write off these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

80e brake pedal for street triple

oh funny one actually; oem rear shock 550e (its a piece of crap). Ohlins/Triumph rear shock, sold from same folks, ~440e.. go figure

• Advertisement

Check the code on the battery, if it matches, here's one for €45

http://batteryworld.ie/vehicle/8822-cbr600

Na, different version... the 600rr battery is YTZ10S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

[QUOTE=cantdecide;9048549e lesson is make you're HEAVILY insured with all the step back NCD and the like. A minter that you must have right falling in your driveway can easily be a write off these days.[/QUOTE]

Jeep clipped me. Minamal damage when round the corner and came back to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Roundy piece of paper €88, does **** all, needs replacing every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

For a battery try motorcycleshop.ie, got a Yuasa YTX14BS recently for €69, and a few litres of Castrol Power1 Racing fully synth at €10 a pop, got free delivery and the battery was filled and charged on arrival.

I must have paid over €20k in insurance over the years, and I (and everyone else) has not ever claimed a bloody cent off it. Waste of money...

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    For a battery try motorcycleshop.ie, got a Yuasa YTX14BS recently for €69,.

€99 for the 600rr battery... it must be an unusual size or something... http://www.motorcycleshop.ie/yuasa-ytz10s-1583-p.asp

jameshayes wrote: »
    Na, different version... the 600rr battery is YTZ10S
    http://batteryworld.ie/search?orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=YTZ10S

€60

I'd be replacing that in a year, learned my lesson with a non brand battery before!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I highly recommend Battery World. Got the car sorted by them - very nice guys and great service. Free delivery, or head over and they'll fit it for free. Which for my car was a godsend as it was a pain in the ass. They have a selection I paid more and got a top quality one.

On another note, its always worth shopping around. I needed a sensor (for the car) which my mechanic mate got quoted €98 in a motor factors. I went on ebay and got it for £10 + delivery. Ripoff Ireland is still in full swing in some places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Rear 240 tyre.

Triumph Dublin - €400 !!!

Cotters - €230

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Car puncture repair from FastFit/KwikFit €8-€10

Bike puncture repair @ NDM the other day €30 :eek:

• Advertisement

Speaking of cars :eek: ours just turned 10 years old and still has the factory fit Panasonic battery in it.

I changed the bike battery last November and the old one (Yuasa) was seven years old. Not bad going.

Scrap the cap!

KTRIC wrote: »
    Rear 240 tyre.

Cotters - €230

You should have asked them for a quantity discount, half a dozen should get you through the summer :cool:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

450 euro for a nose fairing for a 09 R1, criminal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

New fork stanchion for my H-D : €279.
    New front mudguard......€ 750 !!
    New handlebar switch housing €36
    New switch to fit housing €16

It's not always straightforward. Volume of spares sold has a big influence on their pricing.

Mine is still on it's OEM battery (9 years).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Rear 240 tyre.

Cotters - €230
    Rear tyre from Triumph Dublin for anyone that isn't KTRIC: €200
    ;)

Rear 240 tyre.

Cotters - €230

Congrats, you've probably voided your warranty with TD now :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Congrats, you've probably voided your warranty with TD now :P

My warranty is with Triumph, thankfully ;)

Advertisement