Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog groomer

• 21-05-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi I took in a stray dog last week, she's very smelly and her coat is really matted. I'm cutting away a lot of it but I think she really needs proffessional grooming. She's very quiet while I'm cutting away but round her rear end is really bad and hard to do.

The problem is that she is very scared of cars and theres no way I'll get her into one to take her to a groomer. I only have her a few days and dont want to have a big fight with her trying to get her into one, she was very nervous and is just starting to trust me......

So any suggestions ????? Are there any mobile groomers in the Louth area ?? I'm not sure we could get her into their van but you never know....
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi I took in a stray dog last week, she's very smelly and her coat is really matted. I'm cutting away a lot of it but I think she really needs proffessional grooming. She's very quiet while I'm cutting away but round her rear end is really bad and hard to do.

The problem is that she is very scared of cars and theres no way I'll get her into one to take her to a groomer. I only have her a few days and dont want to have a big fight with her trying to get her into one, she was very nervous and is just starting to trust me......

So any suggestions ????? Are there any mobile groomers in the Louth area ?? I'm not sure we could get her into their van but you never know....
    Thanks

OP, firstly well done on taking her in she is very lucky to have found you or vice versa! :D

I used these guys before in Dublin, they were pretty good and they travel all over – its worth a try..

http://www.doggiestyle.ie/#RequestBooking

http://dialadogwash.ie/

Not too sure of any mobile dog groomer in your area but you could try her with some rescue remedy to help calm her nerves a bit, a few drops each day in her water a week before you’re going to bring her in the car may help….

http://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/product_detail.asp?pid=5466&prodid=6473&cid=85

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/pages/categories.asp?cid=85&searchterm=pets&rdcnt=1

or normal human rescue remedy is also ok for dogs..

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Thanks for that Cocker5, I'm the lucky one I think....

I'll try the rescue remedy, I've heard of it before, hopefully it might help.
    I'll contact the groomer you recommended, I'll give her another week or so to settle in a bit more I think....have to get her to the vet at some stage too and check if she's spayed, get vacs and wormed, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

MAJOR brownie points for you, for homing this dog. In fact, in my opinion you have brownie points for life now :)

You will be amazed how quickly she will begin to trust you, and in a while you wont believe how she has settled in to your life. Hopefully that will include getting used to cars, though I had a stray for many years, that could never be talked into the house, nevermind a car :( You are right not to do anything to frightening with her while you are building up the trust. Even if you can wash her with a soapy sponge and a few buckets of warm water, that will help until you can get her properly clipped/cleaned up

If you find a local groomer, you could phone and tell them the situation, and ask them if they will make a house visit - just this once? (or they may be happy to do house visits)

What breed is she?
    Wish you the very best of luck with her

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

aonb
    Thanks for the reply and the brownie points !!! Shes a bearded collie a really sweet girl but very jumpy. I discovered yesterday that she is really terrified of cars so wont be going there for a while !!! Looks like it'll be buckets of water and a sponge alrite...I'm trimming off some of the matted coat each day and she seems to enjoy it....so we're getting there...

She is outdoors in an enclosed yard with lots of dry sheds, shes picked out her favorite, she is very hard to get indoors so I think she was locked up for a while,, hard to imagine anyone been mean to such a sweet girl....she does go into the shed at night because she comes out yawning for her brekkie every morning....

So this will be a very slow process but I'm sure it'll be worth it.......

Advertisement