Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to learn how to use Excel PROPERLY?! Help please.

Options
  • 21-05-2014 12:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭

Hey all,

I really want to learn how to use excel properly; be able to web scrape, create probability models, analyse data (my own and scraped) create graphs, charts, understand the functions and anything else it can offer me.

Is anyone aware of any online course, tutor around Dublin, book or website or even someone on boards.ie that can teach me about using excel and all its features?

Thanks for your help guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Any computer shop and most of the bigger bookshops will have training books, including 'Excel for Dummies' and similar titles.

In case you're offended by that, there are dozens of 'xxx for Dummies' books covering all aspects of IT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Fas do a good online excel course for about €60. A mate took it after having to use excel more in his day to day job generating reports and recommended it. Starts from the very basics all the way up to the very complicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

uberpixie wrote: »
    Fas do a good online excel course for about €60. A mate took it after having to use excel more in his day to day job generating reports and recommended it. Starts from the very basics all the way up to the very complicated.

Just make sure they're not teaching you Excel on an out dated version. I've three certificates as part of different courses for Excel all taught on different versions.
    You wouldn't believe the hassle I have looking for something similar on the newer versions. Same with all microsoft products, I keep forgetting where the different break options are since they decided to put them under "page layout" and have a separate page break under Insert.

Used to use a "Section Break" to split up landscape and portrait pages, that's now its own area called "Section Breaks" and I've to choose "Next Page".

Same can be said for any course that uses software / techniques really. Make sure they're up to date with current releases and techniques.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭CRenegade

Has anyone used http://www.filtered.com/ for excel courses? Thinking of it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MIT must have a course on it. Go to their website they offer almost all of their course materials online for free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Forget about excel, it's a load of useless ****e IMO.
    I would never let any of my students use it.

Learn to code. Something like Python with libraries like numpy that offer Matlab like functionality will be infinity better.

Start with Code Academy for basic Python and then get into numpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,277 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

5uspect wrote: »
    Forget about excel, it's a load of useless ****e IMO.
    I would never let any of my students use it.

Learn to code. Something like Python with libraries like numpy that offer Matlab like functionality will be infinity better.

Start with Code Academy for basic Python and then get into numpy.

How many companies will your students graduate into that will be using excel? In fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think Excel is a fantastic allrounder of a programme. It's easy to learn and offers basic coding extension through vba. I've never taken a FÁS course but would imagine it would be useless (too basic/ general) for the application you have in mind. I would take a look at the MIT course and get using the online forum sites such as stackoverflow. Your skills will have that clunky self taught element, but should serve your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Double post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Excel is a doddle, I did a course in it at Intel because it was going at the time. Guy who thought it knew very little about macros, other than the recorded type.

I've since wrote many many macros for it and find it pretty easy to understand.
    You have columns and rows [ranges = col/row to col/row] and functions [functions operate on a cell or a range of cells] and that's pretty much it.

Everything else you can pick-up on the go, google will pretty much do it for you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Overheal wrote: »
    How many companies will your students graduate into that will be using excel? In fairness.

They're PhD and Masters level so they'd be expected to code everything themselves. Excel would be considered a soft skill TBH.

For me it's nothing more than a numerical note pad and not something I'd consider using for anything serious anymore.

A bit of basic coding ability is a more transferrable skill.

Advertisement