Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Kilgarvan, Kenmare

Options
  • 21-05-2014 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all
    me & my family are moving to Kilgarvan , Kenmare in a month. currently living in Cork.
    Have tons of questions.

First of all, any feedback on schools? Both primary and secondary ?
    Which primary school would you recommend (there's 2 in Kilgarvan).

Where do you go grocery shopping ? :)

Are there any kids classes in Kenmare?

Any recommendations for broadband , oil, etc providers?

We will have to take our rubbish ourselves, do you know where to ?

Any good fishing spots for my man?

All the recommendations, tips and advises welcome!
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Jurga78 wrote: »
    Hi all
    me & my family are moving to Kilgarvan , Kenmare in a month. currently living in Cork.
    Have tons of questions.

Which primary school would you recommend (there's 2 in Kilgarvan).

Thanks

You're moving 55 miles down the road, NOT 55 million years backward in time.!!Kilgarvan has shops,petrol stations and rubbish collection but only one school.Also a fishermans paradise!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jurga78

Yeah, I know, might sound like am paranoid with the move, I'm not. :D Just thought to use the boards instead of Google ;)
    Love the place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Spend one half hour in Rae's or Reilly' pub, and all your queries will be dealt with!!
    Good luck with the move,it's a lovely spot with good people and a vibrant community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Jurga78 wrote: »
    Hi all
    Have tons of questions.
    Which primary school would you recommend (there's 2 in Kilgarvan
    Kilgarvan has a Pre-School Little Acorns and also a Primary School Kilgarvan National School. Secondary School is in Pobal Scoil Inbhear Sceine, Kenmare 10kms away. Bus Eireann run subsidized School buses to Kenmare, this is a Bus Eireann 50 seater coach and a Mini-bus service also runs for students who live up the back roads where the coach could not travel. A mini-bus service also runs for National School Students but you must live a certain distance from the school to qualify.
    Kilgarvan has two grocery stores, Quills Foodstore and Healy-Rae Mace which also doubles as the Kilgarvan Post Office. Lidl and Super Valu is a 10-15min journey away in Kenmare also and 25 mins to Killarney for Dunnes, Tesco etc.
    There is lots of activities for kids in both Kilgarvan and Kenmare, with a Youth Club in Kilgarvan also. Kilgarvan also has a vibrant GAA club which fields several teams from Senior Grade right down to kids age groups.

Kilgarvan Exchange is Broadband enabled and you will receive service from Eircom etc. Speeds are from 24mb in the village dropping down further out the countryside. Kilgarvan also has 3G service from Meteor, Three and Vodafone with 4G expected to come soon. A fibre-optic cable is currently being run through Kilgarvan en-route to Kenmare to launch e-Fibre in Kenmare, Kilgarvan will be enabled for e-Fibre in 2016 with speeds of 200mbps.

Kilgarvan is serviced by FloGas and Calor Gas for LPG bulktank heating and for Kerosene there is several suppliers with MJK Oils being quite popular, however for price G.W. Biggs of Bantry are worth phoning and will probably give the best quote.
    This is down to individual choice, KWD service Kilgarvan but this is an expensive service. Many people pre-sort their waste and recycle it in Kenmare Waste Transfer Station for free instead. Non recyclable waste is also accepted at a charge as it is sent to Landfill in North Kerry.
    There is several and Kilgarvan has great fishing and has a fishing club locally and Quills Foodstore is the place to enquire about this.
    Thanks
    Finally Kilgarvan is not part of Kenmare and there is bitter rivalry between the two parishes which goes back historically to the days of the Civil War as Kilgarvan was primarily Anti-Treaty IRA and Kenmare was Pro-Treaty Freestate. Nowadays that is all forgotten but the rivalry is still played out each year on the field of battle when Kilgarvan and Kenmare faceoff in Hurling as despite this being Kerry you will find that Hurling is the number one sport in Kilgarvan with the club having many unique records in the code. Football is also naturally played but it takes second place.

This rivalry also played out before in the two old secondary schools. These amalgamated in 2002. Prior to this it was very rare for a Kilgarvan student to go to Holy Cross College and instead most went to Kenmare Vocational School known as "The Tech". Holy Cross College in Kenmare was subsequently demolished and the nuns sent to a new convent, Pobal Scoil Inbhear Sceine was built on the site of Holy Cross College and Kenmare Vocational School was closed and turned into Kenmare Adult Education Centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jurga78

wow, thank's, stinicker, for your time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement