Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgraded tank - few questions

Options
  • 21-05-2014 1:32pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I inherited 2 goldfish last year and a 21 ltr tank, now they are thriving and seem happy out, but I wanted to get them a bigger tank as they are obviously growing bigger.

I know that ideally I need a much bigger tank, but I can't afford one, so am upgrading gradually.

I've managed to save up for a 60 ltr tank and have picked it up today. What I want to know is;

Do I need to fully cycle it or can I just transfer water and filter from the old one into the new one?

What size filter would I need to get for it, I currently have an Interpet Mini PF which states its suitable for up to 40 ltrs.

Also I plan to convert the old tank into a shrimp tank, could anyone let me know what I would need to run that.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

You'll need a filter rated for around 120L, the one you have at the moment is much too small. You should be able to squeeze the filter you currently have into the new tank and, I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, that should pretty much cycle it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Transferring the filter media over will result in a pretty much instant cycle.

The only purpose of cycling is to allow bacteria cultures to grow on the filter sponges, so if you have these already you're set.

Suggestions vary, but a good guide is to get a filter that will filter the entire tank volume 3-5 times per hour.
    E.g: 200lt per hour for a 50lt tank is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Also,

Read this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057173593

Guy asks questions on shrimp tanks, which i try to answer.

(Am currently standing at around 200 shrimp inhabiting my 55lt tank).

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

That's great thanks very much. I currently have my old filter in new tank before transferring fish this weekend.
    Ordered a new filter online so will run both together for a while to make sure all okay.

Advertisement