Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

''Shocking'' racist message on n7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

When it could just as easily be someone Trolling to get people outraged.

So its not racism, its trolling? or its just a statement? ban them from posting, problem solved!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Lux23 wrote: »
    So let me ask you this? You are walking down the street and you witness a person of colour getting racist abuse from a couple of teenagers. Do you interfere or do you just walk on assuming that the person isn't really that offended?

I think your viewpoint is a mistake, people aren't necessarily offended by these racist signs, maybe they are upset by them? They represent something a lot uglier in our society than something lefties can get offended over their hummus and crackers.

So that writing on a hording has now turned into some hypothetical Clearly racist incident now ? It looks like your just making stuff up now to win an argument on something that could just be clearly a Troll. Or unstable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

These were nearly definitely white supremacists. I've came across a few in my life and they're the most dimwitted idiots you'll ever meet, under the impression that their skin colour has made them somehow more evolved than their African, Jewish and South American counterparts. By their own attitude they prove that their beliefs revolve around illogical arguments, prehistoric scientific studies and some serious insecurity.

By "Irish" they mean "white". I'm sick of this racist sh*t, we're all the same regardless of our skin colour.

This sums it up pretty well - "We are not myths of the past, ruins in the jungle, or zoos. We are people and we want to be respected, not to be victims of intolerance and racism." - Rigoberta Menchu

This is full-blown racism, not like the sh*t you see at soccer matches when bananas are thrown. This is against an entire race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Seriously? There was the famous quote from the 2007 NME interview that mirrored almost exactly what you said…

And, you know, the username…

I dont remember ever reading that quote honestly i dont think i ever heard it mentioned before.

Hes said ALOT of quotable things its easy to get lost in them.

In this case i agree though Ireland is heading the very same way and in our case its worse seeing as where a tiny population compared to Britain.

I dont remember ever reading that quote honestly i dont think i ever heard it mentioned before.

In this case i agree though Ireland is heading the very same way and in our case its worse seeing as where a tiny population compared to Britain.

What do you mean "worse"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I was not Born here, I find It quite hilarious that people immediately jump on Their high horse Demanding reading into subtext or motives. When it could just as easily be someone Trolling to get people outraged. Notice no "Immigrants out" and so on. Notice other people getting outraged for other groups, When the other groups take it for what it is Ramblings.

Why does it matter where you are born? Fair enough, it may well be trolling but what if it isn't? What if Ireland has another Anders Behring Breivik in the making? And if it is only trolling, why would it be anymore acceptable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Oink wrote: »
    I am more interested in the symbol at the end of it.
    Looks like a politically-correct'ed Swastika to me. When you link that you the anti-Israel slogan and the "us poor Irish are hard done by in our own country"....

Looks like a St. Brid Cross to me
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=breed+cross+irish&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ia18U6zTCLSS7Aaa3oCoDw&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=657#q=st.bride+cross&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgrc=CfflmOYhXY9WwM%253A%3BXZG02u-3VXdSiM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stbride.org.uk%252Fimages%252Fcross.gif%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stbride.org.uk%252Fabout.htm%3B258%3B261

Why does it matter where you are born? Fair enough, it may well be trolling but what if it isn't? What if Ireland has another Anders Behring Breivik in the making? And if it is only trolling, why would it be anymore acceptable?

You're making Anders Behring Breivik sound like the innocent victim.

Is it the immigrant's fault for going to Norway that that lunatic decided to shoot a load of innocent people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

There is alot of what if's in there I generally take little stock in graffiti same with people holding up banners or plaques. It's interesting to see people furiously come up with examples of clear racism to something that's nothing. Were did it say “Immigrants out” or anything like that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

What's wrong with Britain? Do you have a problem with a Multicultural environment?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I don't get the symbol, is it meant to be a covert swatzika & were all meant to know, I was missing the day they thought that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Seriously? There was the famous quote from the 2007 NME interview that mirrored almost exactly what you said…

And, you know, the username…

I think I'd have to concur with Morrissey's opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

I don't get the symbol, is it meant to be a covert swatzika & were all meant to know, I was missing the day they thought that.

It was designed in MS Paint.. There isn't much to explain really...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭fullaljackeen

Racists Joe........ Racing everywhere........
    Disgraceful Joe.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It caused a big stink back at the time and lead to a bit of legal war with the NME.

I can't say agree with his sentiments at all. Yes, there are many different races and cultures in Dublin but I think this leads to a vibrant city. It's not a zero sum game. Embracing different cultures does not mean that we have to give up on what makes us uniquely Irish, which if Dublin is anything to go on seems to be stumbling junkies and carjackers.

• Advertisement

There is alot of what if's in there I generally take little stock in graffiti same with people holding up banners or plaques. It's interesting to see people furiously come up with examples of clear racism to something that's nothing. Were did it say “Immigrants out” or anything like that ?

It doesn't have to say "immigrants out" when it's clearly implying it.

Hotale.com wrote: »
    These were nearly definitely white supremacists. I've came across a few in my life and they're the most dimwitted idiots you'll ever meet, under the impression that their skin colour has made them somehow more evolved than their African, Jewish and South American counterparts. By their own attitude they prove that their beliefs revolve around illogical arguments, prehistoric scientific studies and some serious insecurity.

By "Irish" they mean "white". I'm sick of this racist sh*t, we're all the same regardless of our skin colour.

This sums it up pretty well - "We are not myths of the past, ruins in the jungle, or zoos. We are people and we want to be respected, not to be victims of intolerance and racism." - Rigoberta Menchu

This is full-blown racism, not like the sh*t you see at soccer matches when bananas are thrown. This is against an entire race.
    Ironically these white supremacists are the very lowest of the 'white' race and use achievements of intelligent memebers of the white race to back up their white superiority argument which is so stupid because these white supremacists have done nothing to improve society except act like a pack of *****

What do you think are the implications of what is being said in the slogans then? Do you think that the person writing them believes we're going to be overrun by sheep?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think it may be a stylised St Bridgits cross. It's common enough for neo-nazi and supremacist groups to hijack ancient cultural and religious symbols for their own identity and propaganda.

My Shamrock hat didn't do me any favours walking around Amsterdam, I was getting strange looks, Turned the hat inside out and then had no problem. I wanted to get St Bridgets cross as a tattoo but unfortunately I can't now if its associated with bigots.

What do you think are the implications of what is being said in the slogans then? Do you think that the person writing them believes we're going to be overrun by sheep?

maybe they think the message is a nice message saying how we will all have integrated together by 2050, and no longer have a need for race or nationalities in the future utopia?

• Advertisement

What do you mean "worse"?

Because Ireland as a hold is tiny compared to Britain there a nation filled with history that spreads the globe threw out time where well Ireland :pac:.

So basically if this country continues on the path its on we will lose who and what we are as a country and as people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

You're making Anders Behring Breivik sound like the innocent victim.

Is it the immigrant's fault for going to Norway that that lunatic decided to shoot a load of innocent people?

What? Where exactly are you getting that from? I'm not blaming any immigrant, I am blaming the soft touch people have with racism and xenophobia. Just like bullying there should be zero tolerance for this kind of thing and it should never be dismissed as 'trolling'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Nemeses wrote: »
    What's wrong with Britain? Do you have a problem with a Multicultural environment?

Nothing wrong with diversity in my opinion so long as there is actual diversity and not the creation of 'cells' within the country where each culture lives.

It's a bit like Irish J1'ers going over to Boston and living exclusively in Brighton and not venturing out further.

Ireland is too small as it is without limiting yourself to only hanging out with Irish people but at the same time other cultures need to engage with us.

So basically if this country continues on the path its on we will lose who and what we are as a country and as people.

I don't agree with this. Why would Irish people stop caring about their culture just because there's some immigrants in our country? Immigrants seem to be embracing Irish culture for the most part as opposed to shunning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭A Greedy Algorithm

I really cannot wait for the day when all this racism is a thing of the past, if that day ever comes.

What? Where exactly are you getting that from? I'm not blaming any immigrant, I am blaming the soft touch people have with racism and xenophobia. Just like bullying there should be zero tolerance for this kind of thing and it should never be dismissed as 'trolling'.

I possibly misread your comment so, sorry, I can't be bothered reading the whole thread :P

Edit: Just read back a few pages and yeah, I see your point and definitely agree with it. I thought you were saying that our lax attitude towards immigration would cause some Irishman to "take action for the people" or something like that.

Nemeses wrote: »

I actually dont i quite like meeting new people and there cultures thats why i like traveling and getting to experience new things.

But i do feel lately when i wake the streets of Dublin that at times all i hear is a foreign accent and its not Junkie or D4 :P.

If you dont notice this your lying you dont have to be racist or any other **** to admit theres a very very high amount of different nationality's living in our country now and in Dublin in particular and it is noticeable almost to much at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 326 ✭✭Knob Longman

I don't agree with this. Why would Irish people stop caring about their culture just because there's some immigrants in our country? Immigrants seem to be embracing Irish culture for the most part as opposed to shunning it.

That's fairly true, Most of them are good decent honest people. Its us that has abandoned the island in droves, Therefore eventually we will be a minority but that's not the immigrants fault.

Because Ireland as a hold is tiny compared to Britain there a nation filled with history that spreads the globe threw out time where well Ireland :pac:.

So are you saying that Ireland doesn't have a rich history and heritage? There's plenty of people that would disagree with you. The generally live in the Wehst, wear wooly clothing and write bad poetry.

Like I said, it isn't an either or situation in terms of our culture and to think otherwise would suggest that you're not fully engaging the noodle.

Its not the fact we would stop caring there would just be alot more other **** to care about and to cater for as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Not really shocking to be honest. I've gotten this kind of ****e shouted at me a lot.

how? the irish have moved across the globe and kept their culture and history alive. just as anyone who comes to this country brings their own culture and history with them. It doesn't damage the country, it makes it better.

That's fairly true, Most of them are good decent honest people. Its us that has abandoned the island in droves, Therefore eventually we will be a minority but that's not the immigrants fault.

I don't think we'll ever be a minority really. Immigration can't continue at this rate and emigration hopefully won't either. If an Irishman has a child with an immigrant woman then the child is Irish in my opinion, I think all these stats are based on "pure blood" crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

I think it's fantastic people are willing to come and make this great, albeit sometimes grey little country their home.
    Considering we're an island if we closed the borders and kept Ireland for the Irish we'd have a very real chance of going like the Habsburg family! http://www.plosone.org/article/info%3Adoi%2F10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0005174

Its not the fact we would stop caring there would just be alot more other **** to care about and to cater for as well.

like getting older, getting a job in an american company, having kids?

So are you saying that Ireland doesn't have a rich history and heritage? There's plenty of people that would disagree with you. The generally live in the Wehst, wear wooly clothing and write bad poetry.

Like I said, it isn't an either or situation in terms of our culture and to think otherwise would suggest that you're not fully engaging the noodle.

Our culture and history is one thing but it doesnt compare on a grand scale to that of the British im not saying i love them and that we have nothing all i am saying is that where fairly obscure in the grand scale of the world.

I really cannot wait for the day when all this racism is a thing of the past, if that day ever comes.

I really doubt it. Most Asian countries are extremely racist, especially towards anyone with dark skin. Not black african in particular, just anyone dark skinned .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Why would we lose that?

You should do yourself a favour and attend the fleadh in Sligo this year. It might open your eyes to see Irish culture flourishing and people participating in that from a multitude of different backgrounds

I don't think we'll ever be a minority really. Immigration can't continue at this rate and emigration hopefully won't either. If an Irishman has a child with an immigrant woman then the child is Irish in my opinion, I think all these stats are based on "pure blood" crap.

And let's be honest, if we keep this pure blood stuff up, what will end up happening is that Lord Voldemort'll start hanging around Dublin and nobody wants that happening. That guy's a dick…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Shocking stuff, Joe.

Even if the Irish do become a "minority" in Ireland I can never see it happening in rural Ireland. Seems to be no immigrants moving to rural parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We've 500,000 + non nationals living here
    Which came an increase of 143% in just 9 years.pre 2012.
    Covering some 200 different nationalities.

folan wrote: »
    how? the irish have moved across the globe and kept their culture and history alive. just as anyone who comes to this country brings their own culture and history with them. It doesn't damage the country, it makes it better.

So ten years or so down the line what will Ireland be like when big sections of our ''Irish'' population will come from foreign familys.

For example look at the size of the Indian population in England not saying its a bad thing but imagine Ireland down the line with say a Polish influence like that.

Even if the Irish do become a "minority" in Ireland I can never see it happening in rural Ireland. Seems to be no immigrants moving to rural parts.

Low birth rates in rural areas though, all the young people migrate to urban areas

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »
    We've 500,000 + non nationals living here
    Which came an increase of 143% in just 9 years.pre 2012.
    Covering some 200 different nationalities.

We needed workers.

Which tells u no one wants to live there by choice :P.

Which tells u no one wants to live there by choice :P.

Now you're disrespecting Irish culture? :confused:

The Irish were always based in rural communities up to about the 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

Definitely not shocking by any stretch of the imagination. Just a manifestation of the undercurrent of hardcore nationalism that's always existed here. It was very apparent in 1969 with the IRA/Sinn Fein left-right split and nothing has changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭Hitchens

you vill take zat back, you schvine! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement