Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

''Shocking'' racist message on n7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

So ten years or so down the line what will Ireland be like when big sections of our ''Irish'' population will come from foreign familys.

For example look at the size of the Indian population in England not saying its a bad thing but imagine Ireland down the line with say a Polish influence like that.

so its not a bad thing? or its not bad in England but it is in Ireland? Has England become less English?

the polish influence has been great here, they have introduced some of my favorite culinary delights and we have shared stories of our ancestry. Poland is an amazing place and their people are great! Also the Chinese, Japanese, Brazilians among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Bloe Joggs wrote: »
    Definitely not shocking by any stretch of the imagination. Just a manifestation of the undercurrent of hardcore nationalism that's always existed here. It was very apparent in 1969 with the IRA/Sinn Fein left-right split and nothing has changed.

Obviously the racist element isnt good but I always admired the irish patriotism...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

So ten years or so down the line what will Ireland be like when big sections of our ''Irish'' population will come from foreign familys.

We will most likely have some people with dual passports. The horror! I'm feeling quite queasy thinking about it.
    For example look at the size of the Indian population in England not saying its a bad thing but imagine Ireland down the line with say a Polish influence like that.

I trying to think would the nightmarish implications are here… we'd all go sterile from drinking vodka? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

So in coming decades will Ireland be like the USA and the population will be called stuff like Seamus Zalinkski, LeBron Murphy and Pedro O'Reilly Sanchez?

Either way, it will give our gene pool a much needed shot in the arm. We can't just keep riding each other for ever and not expect to become mutants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

folan wrote: »
    so its not a bad thing? or its not bad in England but it is in Ireland? Has England become less English?

the polish influence has been great here, they have introduced some of my favorite culinary delights and we have shared stories of our ancestry. Poland is an amazing place and their people are great! Also the Chinese, Japanese, Brazilians among others.

At least the Brazilians might make our football team better :pac:

On a serious note, if some unbelievable immigrant footballer came to prominence and played for the Irish team it could really change everyone's attitude. Which is actually quite sad and shows how shallow some people are.

I think he means if we got quite as many immigrants as the UK do it wouldnt work well here. Which it wouldnt, we simply couldnt fit that many immigrants here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Hotale.com wrote: »
    Now you're disrespecting Irish culture? :confused:

The Irish were always based in rural communities up to about the 60s.

Be real here and never mind Irish culture if u gave most people a choice they wouldnt be living down in the back of no where. Its only natural your going to mostly want to live where theres plenty to do and plenty of options at hand.

On a serious note, if some unbelievable immigrant footballer came to prominence and played for the Irish team it could really change everyone's attitude. Which is actually quite sad and shows how shallow some people are.

Hmm plenty of great foreign rugby players but it didnt really seem to change people's attitudes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

Be real here and never mind Irish culture if u gave most people a choice they wouldnt be living down in the back of no where. Its only natural your going to mostly want to live where theres plenty to do and plenty of options at hand.

unless you love isolation and being right all the time.

actually, i might just be onto something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

Lux23 wrote: »
    I always find it hilarious when things like this turn up and pedants try to defend it because 'it is not technically racist'. So what is then? Xenophobia, social commentary? One poster says it's an argument? But what kind of argument it it?

it may have racist leanings but it's a question that could mean anything.
    people are quick to jump on the racist bandwagon.
    I don't know if it's racist and only the person who wrote it really knows.
    It could refer to many things - the government or trokia ruining ireland for example.

I don't understand why people get so shocked about this stuff? If it is racist, it's not a common view.
    There will always be disenfranchised and loony people about. Why cry about it as if it's the ruination of irish society?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

The highlighted text, WTF? You're not saying it's a bad thing but you are implying it is?

And on more Polish influence, maybe they'll speak better Irish than us?

I hope the tone of some posters on AH is not indicative of Ireland, if they cannot see something wrong with groups spraying graffiti that is clearly trying to stir up some populist "furriners are ruining the country, Ireland for the Irish" sentiment I don't recognise the country I grew up in and maybe I will "feel like a tourist at times in Dublin city center (sic)"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

unless you love isolation and being right all the time.

actually, i might just be onto something

More Morrissey related gick ?

bb1234567 wrote: »
    Hmm plenty of great foreign rugby players but it didnt really seem to change people's attitudes

I don't want to stereotype but the scumbag type who are racist *usually* don't follow rugby. It's primarily an upper class sport, and they usually wouldn't cause a multicultural kerfuffle. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

It's impressive that they only spray it on temporary walls. Very considerate. It's all spelled correctly too.

Conclusion - it's DDI.

Except for the last one. Standards are slipping all over...

I don't want to stereotype but the scumbag type who are racist *usually* don't follow rugby. It's primarily an upper class sport, and they usually wouldn't cause a multicultural kerfuffle. :P

Philip Babb? Paul McGrath?

I don't think I ever seen a Brazilian with a kid here though :( I think they just work, do a bit of study, and party here...no settling down for a family.

I've been hearing that argument about immigants making our football team better since the 90s...any coming through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Cultures change over time. And considering what Ireland was like, say, 40 years ago, that is no bad thing. When exactly was this golden age of Ireland that people are worried about loosing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,512 ✭✭✭Muise...

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I think it may be a stylised St Bridgits cross. It's common enough for neo-nazi and supremacist groups to hijack ancient cultural and religious symbols for their own identity and propaganda.

St. Bridget of Existential Xenophobia.

KungPao wrote: »
    I don't think I ever seen a Brazilian with a kid here though :( I think they just work, do a bit of study, and party here...no settling down for a family.

I've been hearing that argument about immigants making our football team better since the 90s...any coming through?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_Morrison

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Because Ireland as a hold is tiny compared to Britain there a nation filled with history that spreads the globe threw out time where well Ireland :pac:.

So basically if this country continues on the path its on we will lose who and what we are as a country and as people.

No, we won't. The history won't change, and most history is forgotten pretty immediately anyway, if it ever was well known in the first place. Things change, and the history that's made and remembered in the future is the responsibility of those living now, not the preservation of other people's histories. Personally, I want to see a future history built on tolerance and welcomes to all who look for a better life. There's no point in bemoaning the notion that your culture or identity is being diluted when you're the very product of innumerable historical cultural minglings, with parts of each lost and forgotten at every turn and others brought forward. That's history, fluid and ephemeral. Worry more about what the history of the future says about you than how you feel about the past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I remember coming back from Australia in 2001. New one way systems all over the city centre. Stephen's Green like a roundabout, except for the south end. And the west end had a barrier done the middle. That'd make you feel like a tourist. People not sounding exactly like I remember everybody sounding, or looking like I remember everybody looking, though? Thanks kinda cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

It would be nice if that was what we considered shocking racism these days as it would show how far we have come in that respect in the last few years sadly you are likely to hear worse than that every day of the week if you spend long enough in the City Centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I don't know how you couldn't interpret the intent as racist, to be honest. It's the same as this 'Britain for the British' sh*te that parties like the BNP spout. Pretty sure it's a sentiment that exists in a lot of European countries.

With talent like him coming through, MON and Roy have nothing to fear. The world is our oyster. Watch out world! There's a new sheriff in town!

Knasher wrote: »
    Cultures change over time. And considering what Ireland was like, say, 40 years ago, that is no bad thing. When exactly was this golden age of Ireland that people are worried about loosing?

All cultures are beautiful , none should be prioritised over any other. We should try as best we can to preserve all cultures!

• Advertisement

All cultures are beautiful , none should be prioritised over any other. We should try as best we can to preserve all cultures!

Maybe not Nazi Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

The world does not work like that History has shown us this. Even with none violent means we have lost alot of cultures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

cisk wrote: »
    Looks like the Google Chrome logo to me.

Was just thinking it looked like a bad version of it. Also reminds me of this.

I don't know how you couldn't interpret the intent as racist, to be honest. It's the same as this 'Britain for the British' sh*te that parties like the BNP spout. Pretty sure it's a sentiment that exists in a lot of European countries.

Well, european countries are the only countries really apart from USA,canada, OZ and NZ that receive vast amounts of immigrants. So obviously there will be racist sentiment in most Euro countries. Im sure if asian or african countries were receiving millions of immigrants with from very different backgrounds then racist sentiment would be present in those countries too.

Maybe not Nazi Germany.

lol not the murderous ones then, most cultures are good though:)

• Advertisement

Im sure if asian or african countries were receiving millions of immigrants with from very different backgrounds then racist sentiment would be present in those countries too.

Asia is the most racist continent by far.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

Knasher wrote: »

I don't think there ever was such a thing. People are too quick to adopt a collective identity. Like all bad ideas, it's lazy thinking....all the work is done for you and you can just live off other people's achievements when you sign up to it..."Oh, he's Irish, he must be sound person with a rich and unique cultural background....not like those horrible uncultured English people"....despite what said individual has actually personally achieved through his own efforts up to that point.

Bloe Joggs wrote: »
    I don't think there ever was such a thing. People are too quick to adopt a collective identity. Like all bad ideas, it's lazy thinking....all the work is done for you and you can just live off other people's achievements when you sign up to it..."Oh, he's Irish, he must be sound person with a rich and unique cultural background....not like those horrible uncultured English people"....despite what said individual has actually personally achieved through his own efforts up to that point.

We are moulded by our culture though, that won't change.

If everyone only cared about what I personally have achieved I don't think many people would care about me :pac:

Asia is the most racist continent by far.

I think you heard them wrong. They are actually the most lacist…

A racist joke about a racist continent. It's like a racist joke inception…

We are moulded by our culture though, that won't change.

If everyone only cared about what I personally have achieved I don't think many people would care about me :pac:

But culture does change, So the mould is ever evolving.

lol not the murderous ones then, most cultures are good though:)

Not the one that's residing in my hole…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭mistress_gi

bumper234 wrote: »
    Not shocking.

Mildly racist.

Slightly offensive.

I for one am more.shocked that an idiot who would post graffiti like that has managed to do.so without any spelling mistakes.

MaYbe he took a friend to proof read! Or he spent the time to do it in word before wirting on the walls!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Demographic_statistics

86% of the country is Irish.

How in the name of Christ does that mean we'll be a "minority in 30 years"?
    How is a homogenous 86% majority under threat of losing its identity?

FTA69 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_the_Republic_of_Ireland#Demographic_statistics

Is this done via DNA or owning a piece of paper with a name on it ?

FTA69 wrote: »

A lot of the immigrants seem to be from countries similar to Ireland; the UK and America have 120000 people here, most people would just be accustomed to the fact that they emigrate to here.

• Advertisement

3.2% are non-European, I'm surprised it's that low.

Is this done via DNA or owning a piece of paper with a name on it ?

I imagine it takes into account Irish citizens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We need to change our attitude a little to what is offensive...I know it's a bold statement in big letters on our busiest road...but it was no more than 3 people and there is nearly 5m of us here.
    People who write slogans such as that and blame everything on foreigners are too stupid to worry about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

544,357 non nationals living here still increasing and yet we've still an unemployment problem and austerity and yet were still a attractive country for immigrants

3.2% are non-European, I'm surprised it's that low.

Dublin excepted, there are few black or Asian people in the other cities and a miniscule amount in most Irish towns and rural areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Gatling wrote: »
    544,357 non nationals living here still increasing and yet we've still an unemployment problems and austerity and yet were still a attractive country for immigrants
    do their kids count as non-nationals? you know the ones that hang out with our kids in school and have irish accents?

Gatling wrote: »
    544,357 non nationals living here still increasing and yet we've still an unemployment problems and austerity and yet were still a attractive country for immigrants

So, imagine how sh¡t where they're coming from is.

I think Louis CK says it best:
    Of course, foreigners steal your job. But maybe, if someone without contacts, money or speaking the language steals your job, you're sh¡t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

Someone needs to do "Immigrants IN" graffiti.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I personally find the casual, lazy and politically motivated abuse of the word “Racist” to be disgusting and revolting.
    Throwing around the term and slapping on everyone and anyone who says stuff you don’t like just eviscerates it’s meaning, diminished the whole sickening meaning of being Racist, and destroys the very basis of the language.
    Does anyone have a dictionary at hand ? Does language and it’s actual meaning matter to anyone in this whole fiasco ?
    These signs are not about race, but are about xenophobia.
    We CAN be xenophobic, bigoted and prejudiced and discriminatory and many other bad things. Everything doesn’t have to be Racist !
    It’s time we paused … and considered what the right word is the next time we describe this kind of bigotry.
    Slapping the WRONG words on this stuff just incites the discussion, totally mis-describes the issue and shows our own ignorance. It also diminishes the seriousness of real racism when it occurs.

Advertisement