Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

''Shocking'' racist message on n7

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hotale.com wrote: »
    How?

God, I love causal sexism. Really struggling to refrain from posting some. :pac:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map3.8Government_Participation_by_Women_compressed.jpg

The countries with higher female participation in government generally have higgher living standards. I'm not saying standards are high BECAUSE of women , it could be a coincidence it could well be i just thought it was interesting:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

the_monkey wrote: »
    Ridiculous, I remember years ago a taxi driver was saying to me "They reckon there will be no pure Irish in 50 years time" -- so f*cking what ??

Immigrants children here are being brought up in Ireland , in Irish schools with Irish friends ... they will grow up Irish and speak with Irish accents - they are Irish!!!

We are all immigrants if you go back far enough..

edit - I don't think I used the word "Irish" enough there :D
    No they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Good Lord,most threads in AH either turn out to be racist or sexist.
    This one is obviously the culmination of all the hard work done by the pinko left wing lilly livered liberals and the far right!

Here we have the AH ultimate thread-both racist and sexist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭Hotale.com

This one is obviously the culmination of all the hard work done by the pinko left wing lilly livered liberals and the far right!

Feck off back to Scrubs, no one wants your kind here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

I don't see it that way at all. But if I did, I'd probably agree.

Maggie Thatcher wanting to nuke the Argies showed more balls than all the US Male Presidents put together, and a few Russian one's too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

bb1234567 wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Map3.8Government_Participation_by_Women_compressed.jpg

The countries with higher female participation in government generally have higgher living standards. I'm not saying standards are high BECAUSE of women , it could be a coincidence it could well be i just thought it was interesting:)

That's all well and good until theres a jar that's screwed on to tight or they can't figure out how to record corrie.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

care to point out the post or posts you consider to be racist ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

How?

God, I love causal sexism. Really struggling to refrain from posting some. :pac:
    As distinct from loving casual sex?

That's all well and good until theres a jar that's screwed on to tight or they can't figure out how to record corrie.....

In my house, she unscrews the jars and she thinks I'm pathetic ~ as a consequence I've totally banned corrie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Here's a shocker for you. I worked in the tourism sector and tourists constantly commented on the amount of non irish in the hospitality sector. They wondered where the 'Irish' welcome was. You know, the one they were sold by all the ads. Are they all racist now?

• Advertisement

Here's a shocker for you. I worked in the tourism sector and tourists constantly commented on the amount of non irish in the hospitality sector. They wondered where the 'Irish' welcome was. You know, the one they were sold by all the ads. Are they all racist now?

Grandeeod wrote: »

Kind of flies in the face of the liberals views

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    As distinct from loving casual sex?

Ironic thing is, you'd never lay a sexism 'victim' !

They are usually butch or man haters, though the movement was started by a heterosexual married woman who declared that she loved her husband and was not anti marriage or anti male.

Kind of flies in the face of the liberals views

We have been quoted in previous issues of that tourist magazine that makes Cork one of the tenth best places to visit [a paid for ad BTW] that American tourists may as well go to Eastern Europe as the tourist culture is the same.

We were very quick to buy ad space and the rest is published ~

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Feck off back to Scrubs, no one wants your kind here.

My kind?As in doctors?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Bloe Joggs

Lastlight. wrote: »
    People want to live in Ireland and not Romania or Poland. It ceases being Irish and that is the issue.

Spoken like a true Xenophobe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

you demand an ireland which tollerates attitudes which stem from the mid east while at the same time , claim that those very countries are backward

its as if you make allowances for mid east attitudes , akin to making allowances for a dog who chews up a couch

" ah sure he knows no better but im too high brow - tollerant to possibly call him out on it "

where did i do that?

Bloe Joggs wrote: »
    Spoken like a true Xenophobe.

It is reality none the less.

Thats actually interesting enough that tourism was mentioned there because when u think about it i do wonder what a lot of Americans coming over here for the ''crack'' think now.

I use Americans as the example because Ireland and our culture seem to be a huge attraction to a lot of them .I wonder how they feel when they have spent a ton of money to come over to Dublin walk into a shop restaurant or pub and are greeted by someone who speaks broken English and is from some part of eastern Europe.

• Advertisement

Thats actually interesting enough that tourism was mentioned there because when u think about it i do wonder what a lot of Americans coming over here for the ''crack'' think now.

I use Americans as the example because Ireland and our culture seem to be a huge attraction to a lot of them .I wonder how they feel when they have spent a ton of money to come over to Dublin walk into a shop restaurant or pub and are greeted by someone who speaks broken English and is from some part of eastern Europe.

Probably the same as how every tourist feels when visiting a big city anywhere in europe . London and Paris in particular, around half foreign born population.

Probably the same as how every tourist feels when visiting a big city anywhere in europe . London and Paris in particular, around half foreign born population.

Theres a reason they come to Ireland id imagine.

I use Americans as the example because Ireland and our culture seem to be a huge attraction to a lot of them

They stopped coming. Now factor in that they also stopped because of terrorism and stayed at home to boost their own economy, but the nail was the lack of genuine Irish welcome.

Hotels used to actually pride themselves on how many Eastern European staff they had and I as a photographer used be often sent to take pictures of these staff members, sometimes mounting into the hundreds, and they were proud times, but ultimately business failed.

Personally, I thought it was bad policy but they usually bought a few pics and I got a few free dinners, and so forth, but that was not what the tourists wanted and advertising such was ultimately detrimental.

It seems that it's going to take a lot longer than usual for Irish people to get used to the idea that we live in a much more diverse society now. I think part of the issue is that for years and years, what defined Irish identity was being Not English and many of the non national and immigrant population don't define themselves in that way or that maybe they don't appreciate and join in our precious reactionary "Non-Englishness" as much as we hoped they would. It's kind of sad when people can't just be themselves and celebrate their own uniqueness as individuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Red Nissan wrote: »
    They stopped coming. Now factor in that they also stopped because of terrorism and stayed at home to boost their own economy, but the nail was the lack of genuine Irish welcome.

Hotels used to actually pride themselves on how many Eastern European staff they had and I as a photographer used be often sent to take pictures of these staff members, sometimes mounting into the hundreds, and they were proud times, but ultimately business failed.

Personally, I thought it was bad policy but they usually bought a few pics and I got a few free dinners, and so forth, but that was not what the tourists wanted and advertising such was ultimately detrimental.

So businesses failed because they hired non-Irish staff?

Or businesses failed because the market wasn't there?

I know a hotel that got in fancy sensors that make the urinal flush when you walk away from it. That hotel went under because tourists didn't want fancy urinals that flush when you walk away from them.

It seems that it's going to take a lot longer than usual for Irish people to get used to the idea that we live in a much more diverse society now. I think part of the issue is that for years and years, what defined Irish identity was being Not English and many of the non national and immigrant population don't define themselves in that way or that maybe they don't appreciate and join in our precious reactionary "Non-Englishness" as much as we hoped they would. It's kind of sad when people can't just be themselves and celebrate their own uniqueness as individuals.

Well im speaking for myself here but far as im concerned its **** all to do with the English. Im not the most patriotic person in the world i think Ireland is a bit of a joke at the best of times but ya when it all boils down to it im happy living here and providing i can support myself my family id never leave here full term.

My issue is im just not comfortable having to live around certain kinds of people. I dont directly have an issue with alot of the foreign people who have moved over here theres just things about some of them that bother me alot and id love if they never moved here it was grand before they graced us.

• Advertisement

Lastlight. wrote: »
    People want to live in Ireland and not Romania or Poland. It ceases being Irish and that is the issue.

So Ireland ceases being Irish because foreign people live here?

Gimme a break!

Maybe to those with little imagination and very low self-confidence in themselves and us as a country but no, in reality, immigrants don't stop us being Irish and they don't stop Ireland being Ireland.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I know a hotel that got in fancy sensors that make the urinal flush when you walk away from it. That hotel went under because tourists didn't want fancy urinals that flush when you walk away from them.

There wasn't a slope on the urinal was there?

One's people drives the hotel, for sure, facilities are often over the top and even unwanted, but if the staff don't run with it, the clients, they certainly won't.

I don't want to start quote mining or anything but this kind of thing disturbs me "id love if they never moved here it was grand before they graced us"

Maybe to those with little imagination and very low self-confidence in themselves and us as a country but no, in reality, immigrants don't stop us being Irish and they don't stop Ireland being Ireland.

See, they do exactly that. Exactly that. Precisely.

My issue is im just not comfortable having to live around certain kinds of people.

I don't think I'd be comfortable living around your sort of person.

My ancestors were here first.

Time for you to sling yer hook mate.

• Advertisement

Ah bless. You're amazingly short-sighted aren't you?

How do immigrants stop you being Irish?

I bet you're annoyed that UKIP don't have an Irish branch you could vote for!

I don't want to start quote mining or anything but this kind of thing disturbs me "id love if they never moved here it was grand before they graced us"

Na, we're SUPPOSED, supposed to be talking about mixing, but we only need to look at London. That is our future.

I bet you're annoyed that UKIP don't have an Irish branch you could vote for!

Powell was right.

Powell was right.

He talked so much about Ireland not being Irish any more didn't he?

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

No. Just you and a few others.

He talked so much about Ireland not being Irish any more didn't he? :rolleyes:

And that was two generations ago, or almost?

Nineteen Sixty.

Piliger wrote: »

Underestimated.

Don't be too disturbed. You have to realise that this is nothing new. Every city, and country in the world has small groups of people who hate anyone different from themselves. It's part of the human condition. Where it comes from is unknown, but it's probably partly genetic and partly growing up in families that foster that kind of 'condition'.
    We will always have them. They will always be here, whining and bit©hing and moaning about 'foreigners' and different races. Thankfully in Ireland we have fewer than the average, imho. The vast majority of Irish people love the diversity, the richness of cultures. And as long as we stay well educated, well informed and confident in ourselves as a nation and as a future, we won't ever really have to worry about them.

And that was two generations ago, or almost?

Nineteen Sixty.

If only we could invent a time machine and send people like you back to the 1960's.

You'd be happy because all them filthy foreigners would stay away from Ireland. And we'd be happy because we wouldn't have to listen to your type of particularly odious prattling.

Everybody would be a winner.

But especially us here, in modern times for obvious reasons.

Underestimated.

Ah yes. The 'silent majority'.

So silent and secretive they can only ever be alluded to by people of a certain age or a certain intelligence when they realise that their arguments don't hold water and their time is nearly past.

I love hearing the roar from the silent majority. It's so quiet and very easy to miss.

• Advertisement

haha i can see the whole where better then u because were more educated we except everyone bla bla bla ****e is starting to be wheeled out now.

So thats where it ends for me in this thread because the more i say the less ill be around :P

Enjoy.

haha i can see the whole where better then u because were more educated we except everyone bla bla bla ****e is starting to be wheeled out now.

So thats where it ends for me in this thread because the more i say the less ill be around :P

Enjoy.

A nice convenient (if somewhat incoherent) way to slip out of a discussion without having to admit that you've got no real reasoning to back up your point alright.

Good luck with that.

. Thankfully in Ireland we have fewer than the average, imho. .

Might have hit the nail on the head there, we also paid billions to the bond holders where other countries burnt them.

I think we are being taken advantage of and sold as a soft touch to all facets.

Once again in a tourism context, we are killing the product. That product is meant to represent our nationality. An identity crisis is happening and its driven by immigration on a large scale into a small country that traded on 'irishness'. Believe me, tourists are genuinely wondering what the deal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Tabnabs wrote: »
    I understand this may be the work of the Irish Nationalist Brotherhood, a great bunch of lads no doubt.

Certainly the stylised cross indicates it may be linked
    Windows+Live+Photo+Gallery+Wallpaper+(3)+-+Copy+-+Copy.jpg

Once again in a tourism context, we are killing the product. That product is meant to represent our nationality. An identity crisis is happening and its driven by immigration on a large scale into a small country that traded on 'irishness'. Believe me, tourists are genuinely wondering what the deal is.

No they're not. And Bord Failte aren't either. We can't and shouldn't and won't keep Ireland as some kind of dumbass pigs in the parlour disneyland. That is gone, long gone, and it's never ever coming back. Tomorrow's Ireland is all about a nation with open arms and rich with diversity and variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

theres just things about some of them that bother me alot and id love if they never moved here it was grand before they graced us.

Nail your colours to the mast sunshine. Which them, what things?

Or is it just vague Them people, Them things, that you can't even spell out?

Might have hit the nail on the head there, we also paid billions to the bond holders where other countries burnt them.

I think we are being taken advantage of and sold as a soft touch to all facets.

Sounds good to me. We are going in the right direction.

• Advertisement

So you'd be happy with immigrants as long as we keep them out of the hospitality sector?

"Rest assured at our hotel your whites will only be cleaned by whites."

Advertisement