Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EVINRUDE 2 STROKE OUTBOARDS

• 21-05-2014 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hello I cam across an old boat last year (Oldenburg 17) and attached was an Evinrude 60hp outboard engine, It was lying idel for about two years and not seen any action.

With the weather improving i'm going to put the boat in the sea , however a friend advised me to change the Impeller/waterpump.

The current one is working so i tried to remove the lower gear case housing last night only to establish the crank is jammed into the powerhead and will not drop.

Another friend told me to button the whole thing back up and run it in the water for a few weeks and see how it goes as it might loosen the crank ??

Any one had this trouble before, i had a look at a you tube video of a similar removal and it looks like it could go pear shaped really easily and i could destroy the lot ??

Thanks in advance

SD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Moved from After Hours.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If it has been laying up for a few years change the impeller before you do anything, they can become brittle when they dry out and if you start the engine and it brakes up it can clog up your cooling system causing all sorts of problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭breghall

have you a model number for the engine? However ....... have you removed the 2 bolts under the trim tab as well as the 4 that are visible? Also for the lower half to drop, you have to disconnect the gear shift connecting rod located under the bottom carb.

Advertisement