Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are you a big dirty glory hunter?

• 21-05-2014 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

Why do support a team in England, Germany or Spain? Get out and support your local team.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No.

This'll go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

We all bolieve in our local team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Life isn't worth living without a little glory every Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sure the local team are named after a pub. Not the best level of football plus I have to get up @ 10 on Sunday to see them play. I'm good thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

yomtea98 wrote: »
    Why do support a team in England, Germany or Spain? Get out and support your local team.

No thanks. My bar stool is too comfortable. I also admit that I'd be unable to find the ground where my English team of choice plays their games (never been there obv). I'll also be sure to cheer against England in the World Cup and continue to be a proponent of 'magic flight' based selection policies for our own national team.

Eh, I think I've covered most of it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm not a gloryhunter. My Da's cousins are from Manchester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm not a gloryhunter. My Da's cousins are from Manchester.

Damn, missed that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Been Man City loyal for most of the last three years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Needs more Keely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

LOI football is terrible to watch and LOI fans come across as the absolute worse kind of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

i'm not a glory hunter. I'm more a hunter, we never seem to find it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

anncoates wrote: »
    Needs more Keely

12 morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

anncoates wrote: »
    Needs more Keely

He 360 years old you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

There was me thinking we had a thread on the glory hunter that plays on every 5 a side team up and down the country, that cnut that would rather take on the whole other team instead of passing to the man with the goal at his mercy.

Disappointed I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I like to watch professional football , it's a great sport .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i almost never shoot. then again, im pretty crap, so any (remote) chance of glory, and im on that like a fly on jam

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Because I enjoy watching good footballers instead of turgid stonage shite and don't see why I should limit myself based on geography when I can enjoy it from the comfort of home instead of standing out in the pissing rain.

Which is why I support Spain over Ireland.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Hammar

I'm from Cavan.
    I have no local team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭token56

I mostly stay back and defend so when I get within shooting range of the goals with the ball I need to take whatever chances I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

my local team is full of Dubs.. ugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The problem with the LOI is most teams are in Dublin and surrounding counties with a few others scattered randomly around the country. Therefore, many people don't have a local team.

If your from Laois for example as a child which is going to appeal to you more. A globally marketed side full of professionals at the peak of their careers in a state of the art stadium... or a bunch of part-timers playing in front of a couple of die hards in a ground that may or may not have public toilets?

I'd love to see the LOI progress. There is no reason our league can't get to at least the standard of countries like Norway and Sweden with further investment. However narrow-mindedness like this thread isn't going to improve anything.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Just to clarify before I properly contribute to this thread, is the OP himself a so called big dirty glory hunter (I'm just quoting the thread title mods)?

Ah screw it, I won't wait for a reply. He's never once commented on local football, other than talking about Ireland, but once they were knocked out, he was rooting for Spain. He's a Man United supporter. He's also a rage quitter on FIFA and shouts a lot of abuse too which is amusing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,375 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

thelad95 wrote: »
    I'd love to see the LOI progress. There is no reason our league can't get to at least the standard of countries like Norway and Sweden with further investment. However narrow-mindedness like this thread isn't going to improve anything.

What investment is there currently? The FAI take money from the league. They keep all the tv money for themselves and have cut the prize money down from 300k to 100k for the winners. If RTE want to show a game live they are supposed to pay clubs a fee to make up for lost gate revenue. The FAI keep that too.

We're never getting to the level of any Scandinavian country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭The Internet

They need to make make it more like gaa and have a team representing each county or something similar to the provinces in rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Get a team in my area and I'll think about it. I live in Roscommon and I'm not going to Longford, Sligo or Galway to watch a game because I don't feel like I belong.

I've said before that the LoI should follow the successful pattern of the GAA. Have a team in each county, and yes you can have more than one where they already exist. That way the whole country will take an interest. At the start they might not go but when they county team(s) are successful they might just get interested. I think the game would be a lot bigger if they made that move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

I find that esoteric relegation battlers in the Finnish second tier represent a more hardcore option for me.

Plus I once went to a LOI game and heard somebody swearing. Although I've never been to England, I very much doubt that happens there and games are no doubt conducted in a convivial and tolerant atmosphere redolent with the Corinthian spirit.

My dad once worked with a guy from Rochdale so I support Rochdale AFC Manchester City since 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

eagle eye wrote: »
    Get a team in my area and I'll think about it. I live in Roscommon and I'm not going to Longford, Sligo or Galway to watch a game because I don't feel like I belong.

I've said before that the LoI should follow the successful pattern of the GAA. Have a team in each county, and yes you can have more than one where they already exist. That way the whole country will take an interest. At the start they might not go but when they county team(s) are successful they might just get interested. I think the game would be a lot bigger if they made that move.

Doubtful that would ever happen. Could you honestly see a LOI side surviving in Leitrim? The current established clubs have fanbases going way back. It can be very hard to get people behind a brand new team. Look at Sporting Fingal for example.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

*insert michael jackson eating popcorn.gif here*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

I identify far more with British culture. God save the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Well I'm an arsenal fan and I do. Dublin GAA, both football and hurling passionately. So who do you "support"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

I once went to Dalymount and was disgusted when people started standing and singing songs MY god i thought, this isn't a concert sit down you peasants!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I support Shels, because they are my local team, and I support Borussia Dortmund, because that's where I was born and brought up :cool:

And I am proud to support these clubs :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,981 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

thelad95 wrote: »
    Doubtful that would ever happen. Could you honestly see a LOI side surviving in Leitrim? The current established clubs have fanbases going way back. It can be very hard to get people behind a brand new team. Look at Sporting Fingal for example.
    Yes in Carrick-on-Shannon, summer football, great place to spend a weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Why watch Fair City when True Detective is on the other channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

sabat wrote: »
    Why watch True Detective when there's real life outside your living room?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

sabat wrote: »

I watch Fair City cos Niamh is a goer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The bandwagon stopped at my door, Geoff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I do both. I support Liverpool and have a Shamrock Rovers season ticket.

The two aren't mutually exclusive at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Why watch True Detective when there's real life outside your living room?

Why go to the park and fly a kite when you can just pop a pill?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    Just to clarify before I properly contribute to this thread, is the OP himself a so called big dirty glory hunter (I'm just quoting the thread title mods)?

Ah screw it, I won't wait for a reply. He's never once commented on local football, other than talking about Ireland, but once they were knocked out, he was rooting for Spain. He's a Man United supporter. He's also a rage quitter on FIFA and shouts a lot of abuse too which is amusing.
    What this rage quitter on Fifa about? Funny how whenever I say something you come in with that. I'm a Cork City supporter. Just because I don't post in the LOI thread doesn't I don't go to games or follow them. I also follow United. I shout lots of abuse. Is this when I called you patronising so and so? Why did I do that? Because again you felt the need to come in with "rage quitter on FIFA" as if that has anything to do with this forum.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

What this rage quitter on Fifa about? Funny how whenever I say something you come in with that. I'm a Cork City supporter. Just because I don't post in the LOI thread doesn't I don't go to games or follow them. I also follow United. I shout lots of abuse. Is this when I called you patronising so and so? Why did I do that? Because again you felt the need to come in with "rage quitter on FIFA" as if that has anything to do with this forum.

I've said it twice now. Don't try to make it out like I've said it far more than I have. The first and last time being two months ago when you were doing your schtick in the Liverpool thread.

You repeatedly shouting abuse down your headset stands out as one of the more amusing moments in online gaming I've had, then proceeding to rage quit when 3-0 down at half time. Funnier even more considering you are the one who went out of your way to add me for a match. Hard to forget the good laugh I got out of it, tbh :pac:

Sure thing on the Cork City spiel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Damn, missed that one.

Felt dirty even making that joke tbh. Stockport4Lyfe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭yomtea98

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I've said it twice now. Don't try to make it out like I've said it far more than I have. The first and last time being two months ago when you were doing your schtick in the Liverpool thread.

You repeatedly shouting abuse down your headset stands out as one of the more amusing moments in online gaming I've had, then proceeding to rage quit when 3-0 down at half time. Funnier even more considering you are the one who went out of your way to add me for a match. Hard to forget the good laugh I got out of it, tbh :pac:

Sure thing on the Cork City spiel.
    I don't have a headset, never had. I dunno who you have confused me with there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Used go Tralee Dynamos games when they were in the A Championship and the FAI Cup,also used attend the Kerry teams games in the League Cup and the U21 League,both are no longer in the LOI,

Now the Dennehy brothers at Cork City and Derek O Brien who is back at Galway once again they are flying the flag for Kerry in the LOI

If Kerry ever again enter a side into the LOI then I would go and support them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

These threads are tiresome. What difference does it make to you OP who people support? Just go enjoy watching your local LOI team and let other people do what they want. Try sell live local football for them for sure, but don't just attack them over something stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Support the mighty Sligo Rovers since 84 however now living in Dublin I see them at away games prob slightly more than home games. About 20 games a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

This forum has gone to the absolute ****ter recently. God.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement