Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance or benefits for someone in employment?

Options
  • 21-05-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

Hi. I was just wondering if there are any benefits for someone in full time employment. Im on a 20 hour temporary contract but usually do 35 hours a week.

My rate of pay is €8.93 at the moment and find it hard to pay rent, run a car and do grocery shopping. Living down in Wicklow at the moment but my job is in Dublin so want to move into a house share ASAP.

Any help or info would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Hi OP.

You're on €312.55 a week gross. You won't receive any benefits since you're in employment. I presume a lot of your wages go on commuting so once you move into a house share in Dublin it should become easier.

Are your 35 hours spread out over the week? If you were only working 3 days a week I think you can get some additional assistance.

I'm afraid a really strict budget is the only way to get a handle on your finances.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭DarraghR

Its €312.55 then USC tax which can be between 30 - 60. Lucky I am not getting any major tax, yet.

Yeah my petrol costs are between €400 - €450. It will cost me €400 max for a house share in Dublin then some petrol cost on top of that.

Anyway thanks for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Yeah my petrol costs are between €400 - €450. It will cost me €400 max for a house share in Dublin then some petrol cost on top of that

Yeah once you move your car costs should be covered by the Dublin rent. Would you still need the car if you're living in Dublin? I'm presuming you would to visit family etc.

Other option of course is to try and get more hours in work or apply for a better paying job elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No: the only housing assistance available to low-income workers is council housing.

By all means apply to the council .. but expect to wait years to get any help.

Im running a 1.6 liter car so will be downgrading when I get back to Dublin. Yep will need a car for getting down to Arklow, work (depending on where im living in Dublin) and getting out to friends friends.

My pay can go up after doing some training so best focus on that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

The system should be weighted to helping people like the OP out instead of the Jeremy Kyle generation. System broken on so many levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Is getting a monthly bus ticket (and then annual one in december) a viable option?

To be honest I never looked into it. Thought it would cost the same if not more considering I would probably have to get a second bus. Really need to get back up to Dublin. Living with the Mum is driving me insane :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

No: the only housing assistance available to low-income workers is council housing.

By all means apply to the council .. but expect to wait years to get any help.

Not quite true, people doing less then 30 hours a week can apply for Rent Supplement

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/supplementary_welfare_schemes/rent_supplement.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

DarraghR wrote: »
    Living with the Mum is driving me insane :p

So you have a roof over your head? But would rather be somewhere else. Prepare for the avalanche of negative posts. Housing benefits are for those who have a housing need, you have a house, even if less than perfect for your liking. Sorry!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

athtrasna wrote: »
    So you have a roof over your head? But would rather be somewhere else. Prepare for the avalanche of negative posts. Housing benefits are for those who have a housing need, you have a house, even if less than perfect for your liking. Sorry!

Actually didn't see that post from the OP.

@ OP given you don't have a housing need at the moment, you'll not qualify for anything.

Its costing me €100 - €150 more being in Arklow. If it was the same cost or cheaper then there wouldnt be an issue

DarraghR wrote: »
    Its costing me €100 - €150 more being in Arklow. If it was the same cost or cheaper then there wouldnt be an issue

Doesn't matter, you are not in a situation where you are eligible for rent allowance, living at home does not count

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

Is there not a category on the Housing Application Forms for living-at-home? Or has it changed recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there not a category on the Housing Application Forms for living-at-home? Or has it changed recently?

Yes, there is.

Most councils WILL consider that adults who are forced to live with the mammy are in need of more appropriate housing. Although their need is not as urgent as someone who is totally homleess - and I'm not sure at what age they will consider you to be adult (suspect it varies with your circumstances and ethnicity).

Advertisement