Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E Fibre or not? Ardnacrusha area, Co. Clare

Options
  • 21-05-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi, I have had ongoing problems with my current broadband, as most recently documented in a ticket/issue number [font=arial, sans-serif]KMM104750[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]89I20425L0[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]KM which remains unresponded to at this juncture.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Long story short, there appears to be line problems on our road causing intermittent drop outs which are not detected if tested when the line is up. The possible solution is efibre which is now rolling out in our area (cabinets ATD1_002 and ATD1_015) are live as we speak) but there is confusion as to when and what we can get. My immediate neighbour is being connected next week, EFibre sales say I will get it within a couple of weeks, but the technician who investigated my error (remotely, without visiting) claims my line is good for only 2MB download maximum. My neighbour (we are both 1200m from the cabinet) has been told to expect 12Mb. There are twenty something houses between us and the cabinet and those I know (a) have similar intermittent problems and (b) would gladly upgrade to EFibre if it was available and reliable. We all get different stories when we call Eircom. I have successfully tested 4G wireless (which for my data usage is cost effective) but have held off in the hope that we might get a decent service from Eircom. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]It would be great to get a definitive status from Eircom. After all, we are trying to buy your service, despite the best efforts of many of your colleagues to discourage it![/font]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

MMY wrote: »
    Hi, I have had ongoing problems with my current broadband, as most recently documented in a ticket/issue number [font=arial, sans-serif]KMM104750[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]89I20425L0[/font][font=arial, sans-serif]KM which remains unresponded to at this juncture.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Long story short, there appears to be line problems on our road causing intermittent drop outs which are not detected if tested when the line is up. The possible solution is efibre which is now rolling out in our area (cabinets ATD1_002 and ATD1_015) are live as we speak) but there is confusion as to when and what we can get. My immediate neighbour is being connected next week, EFibre sales say I will get it within a couple of weeks, but the technician who investigated my error (remotely, without visiting) claims my line is good for only 2MB download maximum. My neighbour (we are both 1200m from the cabinet) has been told to expect 12Mb. There are twenty something houses between us and the cabinet and those I know (a) have similar intermittent problems and (b) would gladly upgrade to EFibre if it was available and reliable. We all get different stories when we call Eircom. I have successfully tested 4G wireless (which for my data usage is cost effective) but have held off in the hope that we might get a decent service from Eircom. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]It would be great to get a definitive status from Eircom. After all, we are trying to buy your service, despite the best efforts of many of your colleagues to discourage it![/font]
    Hi MMY

Unfortunately it is not possible to test a line for efibre until it has been enabled, therefore I believe the enigneer may have been speaking to you in relation to the current non efibre enabled speed. Similarly if your neighbours address has not yet been efibre enabled it would not be possible to tell him what efibre speed he can receive.

Can you send me your Phone number in a PM and I can check for more details on availability etc (though I will not be able to tell you the speed until it is enabled)

thanks
    Colm

• Registered Users Posts: 13 MMY

Thanks, pm with number sent. I appreciate that efibre line speed can only be verified after installation. Being told there was nothing that could be done about my existing problems and wait until efibre is enabled, when it is still unclear if I can or will get it, does not fill me with great confidence. Look forward to your feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭eircom: Colm

Thanks, pm with number sent. I appreciate that efibre line speed can only be verified after installation. Being told there was nothing that could be done about my existing problems and wait until efibre is enabled, when it is still unclear if I can or will get it, does not fill me with great confidence. Look forward to your feedback.
    Hi MMY

I just replied to your PM just now

thanks
    Colm

Colman, for the benefit of the public on this forum, you replied (and I a appreciate the promptness) that I am at the limit to get broadband based on my line - although my next neighbour is having efibre installed on Monday.

Your system tells you that your engineers could find nothing wrong with line; eircom eventually agreed to get somebody out to check as all other possibilities had been exhausted, after months of logging complaints. The guy never showed up!! And I took time off from work to facilitate his visit.

I am coming to the same conclusion that a lot of other people on this forum are regarding eircom. So is that the end of the line as far as customer support goes???

• Registered Users Posts: 3 School Nickname Worldmonkey

I am also interested in the state of eFibre in Ardnacrusha. However the fibre map on Eircom's wholesale website doesn't show the ATD1_002 cabinet as live (it's blue, not green). The main Eircom website however does show eFibre as being available and I can get up to 18Mb (I'm 600m  from the cabinet as the crow flies, 900m following the road). I would also like to get broadband when that dot turns green, but I'm not sure of what I can get, or if I can get it at all.

• Advertisement

Hello WorldMonkey, a group of us discussed this this evening (we live in Roo West) and we all have problems with existing connections dropping out etc at less than 2Mb download and conflicting feedback from Eircom as to whether we can get a decent line. We plan on consolidating all the affected phone numbers and attempting a joint campaign to get a proper response from Eircom who do not seem to have any care or technical interest in resolving this. If interested, please PM me to join up. WE have started to contact local politicians and also assemble data to approach the regulator with their gross refusal to deal with our problems with line reliability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

I am also interested in the state of eFibre in Ardnacrusha. However the fibre map on Eircom's wholesale website doesn't show the ATD1_002 cabinet as live (it's blue, not green). The main Eircom website however does show eFibre as being available and I can get up to 18Mb (I'm 600m from the cabinet as the crow flies, 900m following the road). I would also like to get broadband when that dot turns green, but I'm not sure of what I can get, or if I can get it at all.

Hi Worldmonkey,

While efibre has launched in some areas served by the Athlunkard exchange, I can confirm that not all areas/cabinets served by this exchange will be upgraded yet as works are set to continue in to the future.

Do please PM me your address and I will check coverage & plans for you :)

Al

I am also interested in the state of eFibre in Ardnacrusha. However the fibre map on Eircom's wholesale website doesn't show the ATD1_002 cabinet as live (it's blue, not green). The main Eircom website however does show eFibre as being available and I can get up to 18Mb (I'm 600m  from the cabinet as the crow flies, 900m following the road). I would also like to get broadband when that dot turns green, but I'm not sure of what I can get, or if I can get it at all.

Hi Worldmonkey,

While efibre has launched in some areas served by the Athlunkard exchange, I can confirm that not all areas/cabinets served by this exchange will be upgraded yet as works are set to continue in to the future.

Al
    Hello again. at this stage I am just hoping to have reliable normal (ie 1-2Mb download); my line has been dropping again this evening and I cannot even log a fault online at the Eircom site just to prove that there is actually an issue (it defaults to an error message after I enter the details). Will somebody at Eircom please join the dots...HELP

I am also interested in the state of eFibre in Ardnacrusha. However the fibre map on Eircom's wholesale website doesn't show the ATD1_002 cabinet as live (it's blue, not green). The main Eircom website however does show eFibre as being available and I can get up to 18Mb (I'm 600m  from the cabinet as the crow flies, 900m following the road). I would also like to get broadband when that dot turns green, but I'm not sure of what I can get, or if I can get it at all.

Hi Worldmonkey,

Al
    Hello again. at this stage I am just hoping to have reliable normal (ie 1-2Mb download); my line has been dropping again this evening and I cannot even log a fault online at the Eircom site just to prove that there is actually an issue (it defaults to an error message after I enter the details). Will somebody at Eircom please join the dots...HELP
    HI MMY

Very sorry to hear of the connection losses, it is best to log this directly with eircoms broadband technical support depatment on 1890260260 however it might be easier to log it via webchat here: [font=Calibri","sans-serif]http://www.eircom.net/about/contact/

Thanks
    Al
    [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3 School Nickname Worldmonkey

Just as an update to the situation of eFibre in Ardnacrusha, the ATD_002 cabinet is now listed as live on the wholesale website. However the retail website still tells me that I can only receive up to 18Mb on my line at all. I get the feeling that I am either on a different cabinet entirely, or that the cabinet actually hasn't been upgraded (I don't see a yellow sticker on it). Or is this all just a limitation of my line? I feel that despite getting eFibre we'll still be stuck with a 3Mbps connection.

I'm wondering if I can get clarification on this. Can you identify which cabinet an individual customer uses?

• Advertisement

Just as an update to the situation of eFibre in Ardnacrusha, the ATD_002 cabinet is now listed as live on the wholesale website. However the retail website still tells me that I can only receive up to 18Mb on my line at all. I get the feeling that I am either on a different cabinet entirely, or that the cabinet actually hasn't been upgraded (I don't see a yellow sticker on it). Or is this all just a limitation of my line? I feel that despite getting eFibre we'll still be stuck with a 3Mbps connection.

I'm wondering if I can get clarification on this. Can you identify which cabinet an individual customer uses?
    HI School Nickname Worldmonkey

I will be unable to identify which specific cabinet you are connected to but I will be able to test your line to double check what efibre speeds to expect. 

Distance from the cabinet can affect speeds but PM me your existing landline number or address and I will look this up for you.

Thanks
    Al

Well, Christmas is around the corner and I wonder if anybody in Eircom has got round to figuring out when more of us in the Ardnacrusha area might finally get a broadband connection? I notice the EFibre map on their website shows availability from Ardnacrusha as far as Truagh and across to Sixmilebridge but given that I cannot get it despite being 1Km as the crow flies from the cabinets at Barry's Cross, what hope have those further out got??? Recall that I used to have a DSL service but this seems to have been scuppered by the storms at the start of the year although Eircom never did fix it.

PS I tried the Eircom webchat just before posting here asking the same question about my specific line and they were unable to even give a contact for somebody to talk to about this issue. I appreciate they don't want to be inundated but as a customer, its very simple: do they plan at some point to provide this service or not?

PS I tried the Eircom webchat just before posting here asking the same question about my specific line and they were unable to even give a contact for somebody to talk to about this issue. I appreciate they don't want to be inundated but as a customer, its very simple: do they plan at some point to provide this service or not?
    Hello MMY

The following map will offer you much more information on planned cabinets for your area:

If you click on the third map from the left, locate your area and click on "ALL" where is says 'select NGA exchange status the most up to date information will be offered to you.

Thanks
    Al

Apologies MMY

The link I was referring to is here:

http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/Our_Network/

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement